In this issue...
Ultra-Lite Laptop Laidback (Ver 3.0) from Laidback-R-Us is Now Available!
The Ultra-Lite Laptop Laidback Version 3 is the only product that accommodates a wide range of body sizes, arm lengths, and hand sizes, fitting people with up to a 60" waist line. This flexibility is achieved with a simple, effective adjustment system for angle and height. The unit is a strong, durable and lightweight injection-molded plastic device. At just 2.0" thick, and weighing under 3 lbs, it will support a 22 lbs payload. It is easily packed into a briefcase or knapsack - or carried by its built-in handle. The Laptop Laidback also works with all laptop brands as the front ledge stoppers adjust to provide access to drives, controls and ports on the front edge of the computer case.
There is an option of getting a USB Triple LED light with the unit - this version comes in a plain brown box with the LED packaged with the unit. If you order the Laptop Laidback alone, you will get a nice full color retail box with pictures on it. The products inside are identical, only the packaging varies by whether you order the optional USB LED Triple light accessory.
For more information on the Ultra-Lite Laptop Laidback, see the Alternative Keyboards category in our online catalog.
Ergonomic Workstation Tip of the Month
Creating a Laptop Workstation, Part II
Last month we discussed the reality that more workers are using a laptop as their computer of choice for work and home, and that laptops were not designed to be used for extended periods of time. Consequently, we found that users should modify their workstation to make it more ergonomically sound by incorporating laptop stands and external keyboards and mice. The laptop stands that were discussed were limited to those that were portable and compact (or ultracompact).
This month we will discuss some other product options including permanent laptop stands and adjustable laptop arms (desktop varieties).
Permanent Laptop Stand Category
Primary Purpose: To provide a solid base while elevating the screen height to replicate an ergonomically correct desktop workstation.
Ergonomic Basis: In order to create an ergonomically correct desktop workstation using a laptop, the laptop must: a) be angled to raise the height of the monitor to the correct eye level; b) provide sufficient air circulation to cool the laptop over longer periods of use; c) manage all cables connecting peripherals to the laptop, etc., and d) be strong and sturdy enough to accomodate all the above features while keeping the laptop secure on the stand.
Additional Features to Consider: 1) An in-line document holder which offers an easel to cover up the laptop keyboard and position reference documents (this can be built-in to the laptop stand or be a completely separate accessory. 2) A docking station which can more effectively manage all cables connecting peripherals to the laptop without compromising the laptop's portability.
Adjustable Laptop Arm Category
Primary Purpose: To securely hold laptop while allowing it to be easily positioned for use (either sitting or standing) or stored compactly when not in use in order to maximize space.
Ergonomic Basis: Sit/Stand workstations or space restricted workstations will need to incorporate some mechanism to easily adjust the laptop's position for use when needed. An articulating arm device can accomplish this requirement, though many will not accomodate an external keyboard and mouse. If adjustability of the laptop is the primary goal as opposed to strict ergonomics for typing (especially applicable in those cases where the laptop is used only periodically), an adjustable arm is justifiably the best option.
Additional Features to Consider: 1) Will multiple users be accessing the arm? If so, an easily adjustable arm is recommended, particularly an arm with a gas cylinder or some other mechanism to counterbalance the weight of the laptop. 2) Is storability essential? If so, an easily adjustable arm with a gas cylinder, etc., is also recommended.
Next Month: External Keyboards Suited for Mobile Laptop Users and Special Laptop Stand Applications
Ergonomic Product Usage Tip of the Month
Choosing the Right Laptop Stand, Part II
There is great diversity in the kinds of laptop stands and arms available for desktop use. Depending on your specific requirements, your selection will need to balance your primary needs over the most ergonomically suitable options. Here is a good selection of the variety of stands available today for both permanent laptop stands and adjustable laptop arms:
1. Ergo T-340 Laptop Stand (BNET340) from Bakker-Elkhuizen: The Ergo-T340 is the most stable and durable laptop stand on the market and is easily securable with a single computer cable lock. Features include a pivotable inline document holder, swivel base, integrated cable management and laptop cooling sleeves. There is a unique, universal housing (Port Replicator Module - PRM) accessory which integrates any advanced port replicator (docking station) or USB hub to preconnect all your peripherals, making it ideal for the power user who requires this quick connectivity. The swivel base allows multiple viewing angles while providing sturdy, secure support for all laptops up to 17 inches, including widescreens.
2. XBrand Laptop Stand (XB-1001, XB-1002, XB-1008) from XBrand: You will be surprised by the remarkable increase in comfort when you raise your display and bring it closer to your eyes with a laptop stand. You will also improve the cooling of your computer and benefit from a more comfortable and productive keyboard and mouse. This easily-adjustable laptop stand offers four height/tilt positions so every user can configure it to reduce the head, neck, and back strain commonly associated with laptop computer use. In the lowest position, the laptop retainer ledge folds down if you need to access a CD or diskette drive on the front edge of your laptop. It even rotates 360° on hidden rollers for multi-user viewing. Requires an external keyboard and mouse (not included).
3. EVO Laptop Arm (5507-T-250-FM) from IOP: Laptops can be difficult to use while seated at a desk. Enter the EVO Laptop Arm ... a whole new way of interfacing with your laptop!
The EVO Laptop Arm suspends your laptop above the desk. You can instantly reposition the screen for comfortable and hands-free use. Combine the arm with a wireless keyboard and mouse to create an ergonomic docking station for your laptop. You don't even need a separate monitor.
The EVO Laptop Arm is an ideal solution for workers on the move. Improve productivity while working at your primary desk or docking environment, then simply grab the computer and go when it’s time to leave.
The sleek EVO arm includes a desk edge / grommet clamp mount (slatwall, slatrail and wall mount options are also available). The cast aluminum arm provides durable and stable support for your computer.
4. EZ Adjust Notebook Arm (LX700MB) from 3M: Free up space on your desk and turn your notebook screen into a flat panel monitor positioned at just the right ergonomic height. Highly adjustable arm moves up, down, forward and back.
The EZ Adjust system uses patented technology to let the user change the height of their display and the display stays where it's positioned! The benefit of the EZ Adjust technology versus gas spring based arm technology is the reliability and robustness of the design. 3M EZ Adjust monitor arms can last for thousands of cycles without failing.
5. Laidback Laptop Stand (LL-V3) from Laidback-R-Us: Need to use a laptop while reclining in bed? This specialized laptop stand may be the one for you. The Ultra-Lite Laptop Laidback Version 3 is the only product that accommodates a wide range of body sizes, arm lengths, and hand sizes, fitting people with up to a 60" waist line. This flexibility is achieved with a simple, effective adjustment system for angle and height. The unit is a strong, durable and lightweight injection-molded plastic device. At just 2.0" thick, and weighing under 3 lbs, it will support a 22 lbs payload. It is easily packed into a briefcase or knapsack - or carried by its built-in handle. The Laptop Laidback also works with all laptop brands as the front ledge stoppers adjust to provide access to drives, controls and ports on the front edge of the computer case.
Featured New Products
The Go! Travel Keyboard from Goldtouch is Now Available!
At a mere 1.5 lbs, the Go! Travel Keyboard allows road warriors and mobile professionals to safely work wherever their jobs take them and enjoy all the benefits of the standard Goldtouch when away from their office workstations.
It uses keys approximately the size of those found on 14" notebooks and a 3.2 mm travel distance light touch scissor-switch membrane keyswitch. Other 'mini' or 'compact' keyboards have key travel that is too short or hard, and causes significant pain from bottoming out.
The compactness of the Go! Travel Keyboard makes better use of limited space environments, and allows for external mice to be placed even closer to the keyboard, reducing shoulder pain and increasing comfort.
The Go! comes with two protective covers that support the Go! during use while reducing exposure to impacts that could lead to damage of the exposed keys when stored and/or traveling.
For more information on the Go! Travel Keyboard, see the Adjustable Keyboard category in our online catalog.
TypeMatrix USB EZ Reach Keyboard (2009 Version) from TypeMatrix is Now Available!
This newest version of the 2030 TypeMatrix keyboard is now native USB and has a redesigned layout for both the QWERTY and DVORAK models. It still features an orthogonal layout in a very compact design, making it a common choice as a travel keyboard.
There is also a version with no legends on the keycaps (i.e. blank). Keyboard skins are available in blank form for the QWERTY/DVORAK models, and QWERTY and DVORAK legended skins are available for the unlegended keyboard model. Now there is more customizability for the TypeMatrix users than ever before!
For more information on the EZ Reach Keyboard, see the Alternative Keyboards category in our online catalog.
Featured Promo of the Month
Matias Folding Keyboard for PC by Matias
If you are looking for a full-size keyboard with numeric keypad that is still portable as a laptop accessory, then the Folding Keyboard from Matias is the keyboard you want. When opened it measures 18" wide, 5" deep, and 0.87" thick, and when closed only 10.08" wide, 5" deep, and 1.18" thick.
The keyswitches are high-quality dome switches (low travel); the Matias Fn key also allows quick and easy access to keys that normally require a long reach – Arrow keys, Page Up, Page Down, Delete, and others can now be typed right from home row, without moving your hand.
The keyboard also has the standard volume controls: Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute – as well as function keys, page navigation keys, and cursor keys.
Promo special pricing: $10 off regular price of the Matias Folding Keyboard
See the Matias Folding Keyboard in the Laptop Accessories category of our online catalog.
In the News
Keep an eye out for a forthcoming article on ergonomic products in the June issue of OHS Canada magazine. Michael Craggs, Senior Product Specialist at ErgoCanada, was recently interviewed for the article, which discusses the various considerations to take into account when looking at ergonomic products. The article addresses the issue of what an ergonomic product is, while dispelling the notion that an ergonomic product is one with curved lines and which looks profoundly different to everything else on the market.
Remember to always call us if you have any questions about any of the products on our website, as we are more than happy to spend some time finding the right product for your situation. Our toll-free number is 1-866-335-3746.
Subscribe to our new RSS feeds, which are updated regularly with the newest products added to our existing line of over 5000 products.
Check out our archived newsletters below:
Copyright © 2009 Micwil Group of Companies Ltd.