The Low Profile Tray from Fox Bay Industries is now available in a Phenolic Resin version in addition to the well-known ABS Plastic model. The phenolic material provides a more rigid surface than ABS Plastic and at 0.25" is even thinner than the ABS Plastic Low Profile Tray. When placed on this tray, especially one installed on a keyboard arm with a similarly low profile mounting bracket, a keyboard can be comfortably positioned at thigh level, and/or at a negative incline (tilted down) without restricting movement of the knees or thighs.
Note:The Phenolic Low Profile Tray is pre-drilled to fit any model of the Ovation Low Profile Leverless Arm. However, it may also be possible to fit this to existing arms. To determine whether this tray will fit other keyboard arms, please compare the mounting hole pattern on the installed arm with the Mounting Hole Pattern on the diagram.
The simple, clean design of the Phenolic Low Profile Tray is also free of obstructions on its upper surface, (such as raised edges or built-in wrist rests) that could increase the risk of injury to the sensitive pressure points on the underside of the wrists. The rear edge has a 1" raised Keyboard Guard to keep the keyboard in place when the tray is at a negative incline, and which features innovative cable routing guides on both the left and right.
The Phenolic Low Profile Tray is available in 24" and 27" widths. At 11" deep, both models can comfortably accommodate the space requirements of most mice.
Note:Trays such as the Phenolic Extra-Deep Low Profile Tray and the Extra-Deep ABS Plastic Low Profile Tray, also by Fox Bay Industries, are better suited for central pointing devices.
Positions Keyboard and Mouse within the "Comfort Zone"
- Keeping frequently used devices within the Comfort Zone allows the muscles of the upper body to remain relaxed and reduces the risk of overreach (left to right, up and down, and forward) injuries. Learn More About the Comfort Zone.
- Reduces Excessive Reach to the Left and Right - The Phenolic Low Profile Tray allows users to position both input devices comfortably close to the body and at the same level relative to each other.
- Keeps the Shoulders Level - By allowing users to keep both input devices on the same level, the Phenolic Low Profile Tray eliminates the need to repeatedly lift, extend and lower one shoulder when using the mouse. Constant shoulder imbalance leads to an increased risk of postural problems and repetitive strain injury. (Note that trays with a pivoting mousing surfaces can also raise or lower the mouse below the level of the keyboard and therefore carry the same risk.
- Reduces Forward Reach - By positioning the mouse directly adjacent to the keyboard there is no need to be reaching forward to the desk surface—a common practice that creates a twist in the back and shoulders.
Allows Obstruction-Free Negative Inclination
- With a thickness of only 0.25" the Phenolic Low Profile Tray allows users maximum freedom to create a negative inclination for the keyboard without obstructing the legs. A negative inclination creates the neutral wrist alignment known to combat the development of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.Learn more about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Uniform Height and Material
- The entire tray surface is at the same height and is made of the same material. There is no raised strip at the front edge of the platform that could put pressure on the wrists. (Raised areas, i.e. padded rests intended as palm
supports on many keyboard trays are, in practice, often misused as wrist rests, becoming an ergonomic risk factor. Pressure on the wrist compresses tissue, restricts bloodflow and can lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.)
- Spacious: Room for both a pointing device and a separate keypad. See "Usage Tips" for determining the necessary width.
- Keyboard Guard: Ensures keyboard and input devices stay in place when the tray is negatively inclined.
- Cable Management: Innovative left and right multipoint cable guides in the keyboard guard allow for easy routing of input device cables.
- Durable: Phenolic Resin construction provides a rigid surface with very minimal bounce and flexion, yet is sufficiently resilient to prevent cracking or chipping from accidental impact.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Fox Bay Phenolic Low Profile Keyboard Tray
- Foxbay Tray Hole Pattern: PDF
- Determine the width of your keyboard tray by considering what input devices you wish to position on the tray. Measure out the widths of these devices, allowing at least 8" of width for mouse movement (sometimes more depending on the mousing device you will be using). A rule of thumb is to get the widest tray which your workstation can accommodate. Make sure that when mounted on a keyboard arm your tray will have the necessary clearance. A wide tray may not be able to be raised above the surface of a corner workstation if the back corners of the tray cannot clear the desk.
Note: Please contact us for strategies to address this.
- If you are a touch typist, position your Phenolic Low Profile Tray with a negative incline (if your keyboard arm is so equipped) and at a height that enables you to maintain a neutral wrist alignment. By raising the edge closest to you the wrist is naturally elevated above the fingertips and in line with the back of the forearm. The risk of restricting bloodflow or exerting pressure on the tissues is reduced or eliminated. This benefits your keyboarding and your mousing activity. Learn More About Positioning Your Keyboard Tray.
- If you are not a touch typist, you may find that a neutral or positive inclination is more appropriate for your method of typing. In addition, as a “hunt and peck” typist, you may prefer to position the keyboard higher than a touch typist would because you move your hands and arms more, and you aim for one key at a time.
- When selecting a Keyboard Arm on which to mount your Phenolic Low Profile Tray you should consider the range of elevation (above and below your worksurface), whether it supports a range of positive and negative inclination, and storability. Not all Keyboard Arms are equal and a higher price does not necessarily mean the best product. The ease of height and angle adjustment, and type of storage mechanism (steel ball-bearing is highly recommended) should be considered alongside the first set of criteria.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|FB-PT27x11|| 27" wide x 11" deep x 0.25" high|
|FB-PT24x11|| 24" wide x 11" deep x 0.25" high|
|FB-MP|| Mouse Pad Accessory|
Dimensions: 7.75" D x 7.125" W
Material: 0.125" thick rubber pad with lycra surface
|8DG55-001-RET|| Black, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-002-RET|| Blue, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-003-RET|| Red, Retail Packaging|
|8DC31-RET|| Clear, Retail Packaging|
|8DGW55-RET|| White, Retail Packaging|