Page last updated: Fri, 23-Aug-2019 11:20:59
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Wirelessby Evoluent
| Additional Resources |
The VerticalMouse 4 Wireless features a unique patented contoured design that transforms the traditional palm down mousing position into a vertical handshake position. This "vertical" position is designed to reduce stress in the forearm and elbow and offers increased comfort for many users. The flange along the bottom of the mouse prevents the fifth finger of the user from dragging on the desk and a uniquely sculpted thumb rest provides comfort and reduced grip force.
Performance based features include an easy-to-access pointer speed control button on the side of the mouse allowing the user to select between Extra Low, Low, Medium and High, giving them the ability to select the degree of precision required for each task. An additional thumb button can also be assigned once a driver is installed. The VerticalMouse 4 Wireless has all the features and benefits of the wired VerticalMouse 4 with the addition of wireless freedom.
The VerticalMouse 4 Wireless is available for the right hand only, and comes in both Standard and Small sizes. The Standard size features a black housing with dark metallic blue buttons while the Small version comes with a brown housing and bronze-coloured buttons.
Choose the Correct Size:
Selecting a mouse that best matches hand size is important when addressing ergonomic issues. This printable Sizing Guide can be used to determine whether a SMALL or STANDARD size Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is the appropriate size.
Note:The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is also available in Wired models - including a Left Hand Standard size, as well as a Standard size Right hand model with Bluetooth (for Mac).
View the entire range of Evoluent models.
Comfortable and Easy to Use
- The VerticalMouse 4 is optimally sculpted to yield uncompromising comfort and easy-to-reach programmable buttons, eliminating finger stretching and contortions.
Maintains Blood Flow through the Wrist
- Conventional horizontal mice cause your forearm to twist away from its natural position, which can reduce blood flow, contort muscles into awkward positions and increase the rate of fatigue. For many, this can result in discomfort and pain while mousing.
Eliminates Forearm Pronation
- The design of the Evoluent VerticalMouse improves comfort and control when mousing, with a patented shape that supports the hand in a relaxed handshake position, and a sculpted “notch” for your thumb to rest in. This innovative design eliminates forearm twisting and minimizes the effort required to use the mouse.
Learn More About Pronation.
Can Reduce or Eliminate Wrist Extension
- Traditional mice require that the hand be in a facedown position on the mouse. Users tend to plant the heel of their hand on the mousing surface and then attempt to move the mouse with the thumb and pinkie or ring fingers. This puts the wrist into a position of extension which can lead to painful RSI. The Evoluent VerticalMouse addresses this by rotating the hand away from the desk, eliminating the tendency to "plant" the hand. While users can still create some wrist extension by flexing their wrist for left/right movements this can also be easily addressed by learning to move the Evoluent VerticalMouse with the arm rather than the hand.
Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Can Address Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
- The vertical orientation into which the Evoluent VerticalMouse rotates the hand is intended to address excessive tension which is put on the tendons and tissue of the forearm when the hand is rotated into the facedown position common in both mousing and keyboarding. This tension is known to commonly manifest in what is usually referred to as "tennis elbow", when inflammation develops where the tendon attaches to the outer edge of the elbow. Eliminating the tension by addressing the pronation issue permits the tendon to relax and as the attachment point is no longer under continuous stress the tissue is permitted to rest and heal.
Learn More About Lateral Epicondylitis.
Reduces Potential for “Anticipation of the Click” and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The ergonomic design and low click force of the Evoluent encourages the user to let their fingers remain "at rest" against the buttons, rather than hovering over them in anticipation of clicking. Since the fingers can relax against the mouse there is no hovering or stretching action of the fingers which can lead to development of Trigger Finger.
Learn More About Trigger Finger
Almost No Learning Curve
- Users employ the same familiar handhold as with an ordinary mouse (just turned sideways), and the buttons are operated by the same fingers. This virtually eliminates any need to retrain or establish new muscle memory when mousing.
- The mouse does not unintentionally move sideways when clicking with normal force because the thumb is positioned to naturally oppose the finger movements.
- Pointer control is as accurate as any other high-quality performance mouse with the addition of on-mouse adjustable speed controls.
Encourages Load Balancing or Spreading Software Option
- Mouse Manager (Microsoft Certified) for Windows offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. Users have the option of reassigning button commands for load balancing or duplicating commands on multiple buttons in order to spread the load across multiple digits. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX.
Offers Alternative Clicking Options to Reduce Repetition
- Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. OR reassign commands to a different button or multiple bottoms to lighten or spread the clicking load. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Provides Alternatives to Static Strain For Click-Drag Operations
- Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Break Reminder Option
- Set up visual and/or audio alerts to remind you to take a break. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Adjustable Laser Sensor: Pointer speed buttons on the side allow convenient adjustment without even changing hand position on the mouse.
- Pointer Speed Indicators: Top mounted LED-illuminated indicators show through the housing on the chrome thumb rest to advise users of the selected pointer speed from extra low to high.
- Back-Lit Evoluent Logo: A purely cosmetic feature which adds to the lustre and modern look of this mouse. The illumination turns off when the mouse is in sleep mode to conserve battery power.
- Useful and Intuitive Driver: Mouse Manager (Microsoft Certified) for Windows offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX.
- Shape: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 features soft contouring that the hand naturally forms into. These contours also ensure comfortable grasp locations for a wide range of hand sizes. These contours, combined with the deep and slightly angled indentation for the thumb, reduces the pressure against the web of the hand.
- Multiple Sizes: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Righthand model is available in a "Standard" size which accommodates most average to larger hands and a "Small" version for those with smaller hands. The sizing guide can be used to determine a suitable selection. The Lefthand model is only available as a "Standard" size.
- Wireless Option: The Standard and Small Righthand Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is available in Wired or Wireless format for PC. A Standard size Bluetooth model for use with Mac Computers is also available.
- Scroll Wheel: Grooved soft rubber with tactile detents. The Scroll Wheel is also "clickable" and provides a "forward" command by default. This command can also be customized using the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software.
- Finger Flange: The large finger flange prevents the fifth finger from dragging on desk.
- Speed Toggle: Move up or down through the 4 pointer speed settings with the easy-to-access side button and clearly visible illuminated indicators.
- Application Dependent Buttons: Create customized button programming which automatically take effect depending on which application is active. Note: Installation of the Evoluent Mouse Manager is required for any custom programming.
- Quality Ergonomic Design: The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 is engineered with a high quality sensor coupled with the low button activation force for which the Evoluent is known. Button action and vertical scroll wheel movement is smooth, consistent and precise. Improved contours provide greater comfort and a more relaxed grip.
- Relaxed Handshake Position: The ergonomic contoured shape of the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 supports the hand in a natural handshake position that eliminates forearm twisting. Users employ the same familiar grip as with an ordinary mouse, but in a vertical orientation, so almost no retraining is needed. Clicking the mouse buttons does not result in unwanted movement because the thumb naturally opposes other finger movements.
- Contoured and Textured: The contoured black portion of the body where one holds the mouse has a polyurethane coating, allowing the user to have complete control of the mouse just by resting one's hand on it—practically eliminating the need to grip the mouse.
- Light Tactile Buttons: The buttons on the VerticalMouse 4 take about half the force of traditional mice to click, so your fingers won't get tired with the high frequency of clicking required in programs. The button force is low for easy clicking, but still retains sufficient tactile firmness to avoid accidental actuation.
- Six Buttons: The VerticalMouse provides a total of 6 buttons. Two thumb operated buttons and 3 finger operated buttons are provided, with the scroll wheel providing a sixth button.
- Auto Click Option: Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Click Lock (or Drag Lock): Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Break Reminder: Set up visual and/or audio alerts to remind you to take a break. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Wireless
VerticalMouse 4, Closeup of Speed Toggle LED Indicator
VerticalMouse 4, Hand Orientation
VerticalMouse 4, Closeup of Backlit Evoluent Logo at Back of Mouse
VerticalMouse 4, Driver Screen Capture
VerticalMouse 4, Ergonomics Behind Vertical Orientation
- Standard: 3.5" (8.9 cm)
- Small: 3.2" (8.1 cm)
Depth (front to back)
- Standard: 4.375" (11.1 cm)
- Small: 4.1" (10.5 cm)
- Standard: 3.15" (8.0 cm)
- Small: 3.0" (7.5 cm)
- Standard: 5.89 oz (167 grams)
- Small: 5.29 oz (150 grams)
- Laser Resolution: Extra low, low, medium,
- Interface: USB Micro Receiver (not compatible with PS/2 adapters or KVM switches)
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10; 32 bit and 64 bit versions
- Downloadable Microsoft Certified Evoluent Mouse Manager Software for programming all 6 buttons available for Windows OS
Fixed button functions without a driver.
- Mac Evoluent Mouse Manager Software on the Evoluent download page may be used to program the buttons.
Fixed button functions without a driver. Third party drivers are available for some versions of Linux.
- Programmable Functions for Each Button:
- Left Click
- Right Click
- Wheel/Middle Click
- Auto Pan
- Double Click
- Keystroke Recording
- Launch Application
- Page Down
- Page Up
- Pointer Speed Toggle
- Print Screen
- Show/Hide Desktop
- Switch Applications
- Note on Programmable Functions: If button 6 (bottom thumb button) is programmed as a "Toggle" button, then a second layer of functions can be added to buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4. This allows for up to nine (9) functions to be programmed into the Evoluent VerticalMouse 4. (6 buttons - 1 as toggle + second layer for 4 buttons = 9 functions)
- Default Buttons: For PC:
- Top finger button: Left click
- Middle finger button: Middle click
- Bottom finger button: Right click
- Scroll wheel button: Forward
- Top thumb button: Backward
- Bottom thumb button: (no function)
- Available Drivers: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software
Standard - Dark Metallic Blue Buttons, Black Housing, Blue Light for Evoluent logo, Green DPI setting indicator.
Small - Bronze Buttons, Brown Housing, Green Light for Evoluent logo, Red DPI setting indicator.
- Warranty: 2 years.
Please note that these mice come with "warranty tag" on the underside. If the "warranty tag" is removed, the warranty on that mouse is voided.
- Package Contents: Evoluent Vertical Mouse - Wireless, USB Micro Receiver Dongle, AA battery, User Guide
- Work With Your Arm: For optimum ergonomic value we recommend that the majority of your mouse movement be performed with movement coming from the arm. By doing so a neutral alignment of the wrist can be maintained. Finer small movements can be achieved by slight deflection of the wrist and flexing of the fingers, especially if the mouse sensor speed is set to "High".
- Maintain a Neutral Posture: When working with the Evoluent VerticalMouse you will want to ensure that your worksurface is positioned at a height which maintains a "neutral" or "straight" line through the back of the wrist. Ergonomically this is the ideal posture and may require adjustment of either the worksurface height (where possible) or of the height of the chair. It is especially important to ensure that the worksurface where the mouse is located is not too high as this will either be forcing the shoulder up unnaturally or the arm will be angled over the rigid edge of the worksurface. Either of these are undesirable and can significantly increase the risk of developing Repetitive Strain Injuries. The vertical orientation which the Evoluent VerticalMouse achieves naturally brings the elbow closer to the body. If you find that your elbow is "flared" out while using the Evoluent you may want to check the height of your desk and lower it if necessary. The other reason for a flared elbow may be the reach across the numeric keypad. There are keyboard options available which either move the numeric keypad to the left or totally eliminate it for users who make limited use of the numeric keypad or who can learn to employ the standard upper rank numeric keys on the keyboard.
- Take Breaks: One of the most common causes of RSI is the "repetitive" natural of the actions undertaken. Extensive mousing (or keyboarding) without breaks can be the trigger which releases a full-blown RSI. Even the most ergonomic of mice or keyboards cannot change this fact. The Evoluent Mouse Manager Software includes a "Break Reminder" function which you can set to occur on a regular basis throughout the day. A quick stretch or short change of function may be all that is required to avoid possible painful consequences.
- Reduce Your Clicking: Repetitive clicking can be greatly reduced through the options available in the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software. Setting an "auto-click" for either the left or right clicks can significantly reduce the number of clicks needed to be performed by the fingers. In addition, multiple movements, clicks, and awkward keyboard reaches can be combined to a single click by pre-programming common actions to one of the buttons. Advanced users can even set "program specific" settings which will automatically apply when switching between various applications.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|VM4RW|| Right-Handed, Wireless, Black Housing with Chrome Accents, Dark Metallic Blue Buttons, USB|
|VM4SW|| Right-Handed, Small, Wireless, Brown Housing with Chrome Accents, Dark Metallic Bronze Buttons, USB|
|VM4RR|| Evoluent Replacement USB Receiver for Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Wireless for Serial Numbers under XX1506XXXX|
|VM4RRV2|| Evoluent Replacement USB Receiver for Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 Wireless for Serial Numbers XX1507XXXX and higher|
|MP1|| Evoluent Wrist Support Mouse Pad, rigid one piece 7" x 7" mousing surface with attached gel wrist pad|