The Evoluent VerticalMouse D showcases over 20 years of continuous improvement in ergonomic vertical mouse design. The VerticalMouse D is the sixth generation of the Evoluent VerticalMouse and reflects a rich history of ergonomic innovation. The VerticalMouse D retains all of the benefits associated with earlier Evoluent VerticalMouse models while including design changes that offer both improved control as well as comfort when compared with earlier generations.
The most noticeable design improvement on the Evoluent VerticalMouse D is the patented vertically grooved buttons. This "first of its kind" innovation provides a natural resting place for the fingertips that is not only more comfortable but also effectively makes the mouse an "extension" of the hand. With the fingertips lightly resting in the grooved buttons the mouse is naturally held in position, virtually eliminating any need or desire to "grip" the mouse. The end result is not only an enhanced degree of cursor precision but a more relaxed hand and forearm.
Those who have used earlier versions of the Evoluent VerticalMouse will also discover subtle changes in the body contours that encourage the hand to more naturally "curve" around the mouse as well as a slightly wider lower finger flange to better prevent surface contact.
The pointer speed control on the VerticalMouse D is still placed just behind the buttons but is more easily accessed than on earlier models of the Evoluent VerticalMouse. The fingers are able to easily identify and activate the gently-curved raised button without any risk of accidentally clicking. The four speeds (Extra Low, Low, Medium, & High) activate sequentially with each click of the speed control so it is possible to quickly adapt the mouse to the need of the moment. The illuminated setting indicator is located at the front of the thumb rest.
The MouseManager Software from Evoluent offers reconfiguration options to meet individual requirements or preferences. Any of the 6 buttons can be assigned custom commands. The driver also includes additional enhancements such as instant access to screen brightness adjustment via the scroll wheel. And frustrated EXCEL users who have been looking for a "Horizontal Scroll" function can now use the MouseManager software to enhance their productivity with instant and effortless switching between Vertical and Horizontal scrolling in Excel.
The VerticalMouse D is now available in Small, Medium (similar in size to the "Standard" sized VerticalMouse 4) and Large models for the right hand. The Large size is a new addition to the Evoluent family and is sized to meet the needs of those with larger than average hands. All sizes are available in both Wireless or Wired models.
Choose the Correct Size:
Selecting a mouse that best matches hand size is important when addressing ergonomic issues. This Sizing Guide can be used to determine whether a Small, Medium or Large size Evoluent VerticalMouse D is the appropriate size.
View the entire range of Evoluent models.
Comfortable and Easy to Use
- The Evoluent VerticalMouse D is optimally sculpted to yield uncompromising comfort and easy-to-reach programmable buttons, eliminating finger stretching and contortions.
Maintains Blood Flow through the Wrist
- Conventional horizontal mice cause your forearm to twist away from its natural position, which can reduce blood flow, contort muscles and other soft tissue into awkward positions and increase the rate of fatigue. For many, this can result in discomfort and pain while mousing.
Eliminates Forearm Pronation
- The design of the Evoluent VerticalMouse improves comfort and control when mousing, with a patented shape that supports the hand in a relaxed handshake position, and a sculpted “notch” in which to rest the thumb. This innovative design eliminates forearm twisting and minimizes the effort required to use the mouse.Learn More About Pronation.
Can Reduce or Eliminate Wrist Extension
- Traditional mice require that the hand be in a facedown position on the mouse. Most tend to plant the heel of their hand on the mousing surface and then attempt to move the mouse with the thumb and pinkie or ring fingers. This puts the wrist into a position of extension which can lead to painful RSI. The Evoluent VerticalMouse addresses this by rotating the hand away from the desk, eliminating the tendency to "plant" the hand. While it is still possible to create some wrist extension by flexing the wrist for left/right movements this can also be easily addressed by learning to move the Evoluent VerticalMouse with the arm rather than the hand.Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Can Address Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
- The vertical orientation into which the Evoluent VerticalMouse rotates the hand is intended to address excessive tension which is put on the tendons and tissue of the forearm when the hand is rotated into the palm-down position common in both mousing and keyboarding. This tension is known to commonly manifest in what is usually referred to as "tennis elbow", when inflammation develops where the tendon attaches to the outer edge of the elbow. Eliminating the tension by addressing the pronation issue permits the tendon to relax and as the attachment point is no longer under continuous stress the tissue can rest and heal.Learn More About Lateral Epicondylitis.
Reduces Potential for “Anticipation of the Click” and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The ergonomic design and low click force of the Evoluent encourages the individuals to let their fingers remain "at rest" against the buttons, rather than hovering over them in anticipation of clicking. Since the fingers can relax against the mouse there is no hovering or stretching action of the fingers which can lead to development of Trigger Finger.Learn More About Trigger Finger.
Almost No Learning Curve
- The same familiar handhold as with an ordinary mouse (just turned sideways) is employed , and the buttons are operated by the same fingers. This virtually eliminates any need to retrain or establish new muscle memory when mousing.
- The Evoluent VerticalMouse D features patented "grooved" buttons that engage the fingertips in such as way that the clicking action generates virtually no lateral movement. The result is increased cursor stability.
- Pointer control is as accurate as any other high-quality performance mouse with the addition of on-mouse adjustable speed controls. Pointer speed can be instantly cycled through 4 settings (Extra Low, Low, Medium and High).
Software Options Encourage Load Balancing or Spreading
- Mouse Manager for Windows offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. Individuals have the option of reassigning button commands for load balancing or duplicating commands on multiple buttons in order to spread the load across multiple digits. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX (See Notes under Technical Specifications).
Offers Alternative Clicking Options to Reduce Repetition
- Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Alternatively, reassign commands to a different button or multiple bottoms to lighten or spread the clicking load. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Provides Alternatives to Static Strain For Click-Drag Operations
- Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Break Reminder Option
- Set up visual and/or audio alerts to remind you to take a break. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Sized to Fit
- With 3 sizes available each person is able to select the model that best fits their hand size. Doing this will provide optimal control and comfort, reducing stress in the hand and forearm.
- Contoured and Textured: The contoured black portion of the body where one holds the mouse has a polyurethane coating, allowing complete control of the mouse just by resting one's hand on it—practically eliminating the need to grip the mouse. A lightly textured zone behind the buttons improves traction.
- Form-Fitting Shape: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D features soft contouring that the hand naturally forms around. Combined with the ground-breaking vertically-grooved button design, these contours create a mouse that naturally sockets itself into the hand, virtually eliminating any need to exert force to "grip" or control the mouse. With 3 sizes now available individuals are able to optimize the fit to their personal requirements.
- Multiple Sizes: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D Right hand model is available in Small, Medium and Large sizes to meet the needs of all. The sizing guide can be used to determine a suitable selection.
- Adjustable Laser Sensor: A single easily-accessed pointer speed button on the side facilitates convenient adjustment without changing hand position on the mouse.
- Pointer Speed Indicators: LED-illuminated indicators at the front of the thumb rest advise of the currently selected pointer speed.
- Useful and Intuitive Driver: Mouse Manager for Windows offers extensive custom and contextual (program specific) programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX with a slightly limited range of options.
- Wireless Option: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D is available in Wired or Wireless format and works on both PC and Mac operating systems (See Notes under Technical Specifications).
- Scroll Wheel: Grooved soft rubber with tactile detents. The Scroll Wheel is also "clickable" and provides a "forward" command by default. This command can also be customized using the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software.
- Finger Flange: The large finger flange prevents the fifth finger from dragging on the desk.
- Speed Toggle: Move up or down through the 4 pointer speed settings with the easy-to-access side button and clearly visible illuminated indicators.
- Application Dependent Buttons: Create customized button programming which automatically take effect depending on which application is active. Note: Installation of the Evoluent Mouse Manager is required for any custom programming.
- Quality Ergonomic Design: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D is engineered with a high quality sensor coupled with the low button activation force for which all models of the Evoluent are known. Button action and vertical scroll wheel movement is smooth, consistent and precise. Improved contours provide greater comfort and a more relaxed grip.
- Relaxed Handshake Position: The enhanced ergonomic contoured shape of the Evoluent VerticalMouse D supports the hand in a natural handshake position that eliminates forearm twisting. The same familiar grip as with an ordinary mouse is employed, but in a vertical orientation, so almost no retraining is needed. Clicking the mouse buttons does not result in unwanted movement because the thumb naturally opposes other finger movements.
- Light Tactile Buttons: The buttons on the VerticalMouse D take about half the force of traditional mice to click, so the fingers won't get tired with the high frequency of clicking required in programs. The button force is low for easy clicking, but still retains sufficient tactile firmness to avoid accidental actuation.
- Six Buttons: The VerticalMouse provides a total of 6 buttons. Two thumb operated buttons and 3 finger operated buttons are provided, with the scroll wheel providing a sixth button.
- Auto Click Option: Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Click Lock (or Drag Lock): Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Break Reminder: Set up visual and/or audio alerts as break reminders. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Wireless Receiver Storage Slot: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D includes a convenient wireless receiver storage slot in the underside of the mouse. This keeps the receiver secured in place during transport or can be used to ensure that the receiver is not misplaced when computers are moved.
- USB Receiver Extender Cable: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D Wireless ships with a USB extension cable that can be used to position the USB Receiver closer to the mouse should it be required. Occasionally, such as when the CPU is located some distance from the mouse below a desk, there may be issues with the wireless connection. Should this be encountered, the extension cable can be used to move the receiver up to the desktop and closer to the mouse.
- EXCEL - HORIZONTAL SCROLL Option: When working in Excel one can now switch from vertical to horizontal scroll actions by using the Evoluent Mouse Manager software to assign a "Horizontal Scroll" function to Button #6. Depressing this button while scrolling immediately switches the button from the traditional scrolling to horizontal mode. Scanning through a spreadsheet, both vertically and horizontally is now virtually effortless. To switch back to vertical scroll simply release button #6.
NOTE: This function is currently only available for Windows-based EXCEL
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
VerticalMouse D, Inside View
VerticalMouse D, Rear View
VerticalMouse D, Removes Forearm Twist
VerticalMouse D, Vertically Grooved Buttons for Increased Control
VerticalMouse D, Features
VerticalMouse D, Receiver Storage with Magnetic Cover
- VerticalMouse D Sizing Chart: Image
- EXCEL Horizontal Scroll Function: Video
- Small: 3.375" (8.6 cm)
- Medium: 3.375" (8.6 cm)
- Large: 3.5" (8.9 cm)
(front to back)
- Small: 4.25" (10.8 cm)
- Medium: 4.375" (11.1 cm)
- Large: 4.6" (11.5" cm)
- Small: 3." (7.6 cm)Medium: 3" (7.6 cm)
- Large: 3.25" (8.3 cm)
- Small: 163 grams
- Medium: 167 grams
- Large: 189 grams
- Laser Resolution: Extra Low, Low, Medium, High
- Compatibility: Current compatibility details can always be found on the Evoluent Support Page.
- Windows XP and newer (all basic functions)
- Mac OS X (basic functions as per OS version support)
- Linux (Fixed button functions without a driver)
- Windows XP and Vista (shareware drivers available - see Evoluent Support Page for further details.
- Windows 7, 8, and 10 (32 & 64 bit) . Download Microsoft Certified Evoluent Mouse Manager.
- Mac OS (varies with OS version). View current compatibility and download Evoluent Mouse Manager for Mac options on the Evoluent Support Page.
- Interface: USB A (not compatible with PS/2 adapters or KVM switches)
Note: Requires adapter (not included) for USB Type-C on some notebook computers.
- Programmable Functions for Each Button:
- Left Click
- Right Click
- Wheel/Middle Click
- Auto Pan
- Double Click
- Drag Scroll
- Keystroke Recording
- Launch Application
- Page Down
- Page Up
- Print Screen
- Show/Hide Desktop
- Switch Applications
The lower Thumb button (#6) has several additional programmable functions.
- Eye Comfort - to adjust screen brightness on the fly using the Scroll Wheel
- Horizontal Scroll Facilitates fast Horizontal Scrolling in EXCEL Spreadsheets
- Secondary Functions - to provide access to a second layer of commands on the other 5 buttons
- Note on Programmable Functions: If button 6 (bottom thumb button) is programmed for "Secondary Function", then a second layer of functions can be added to buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4. This allows for up to ten (10) functions to be programmed into the Evoluent VerticalMouse D. (6 buttons - 1 as toggle + second layer for 4 buttons = 9 functions)
- Default Buttons:
Note: The Evoluent Mouse Manager Software offers an on-the-fly Eye Comfort adjustment for screen brightness. One of three key command options can be selected to activate the Eye Comfort adjustment that is done completed by rolling the scroll wheel to adjust the brightness. Button #6 can also be programmed to activate this feature. Screen adjustment affects only the primary screen in multi-screen environments.
- Top finger button: Left click
- Middle finger button: Middle click
- Bottom finger button: Right click
- Scroll wheel button: Forward
- Top thumb button: Backward
- Bottom thumb button: Secondary Functions
- Available Drivers: Evoluent VerticalMouse drivers
- Available Models:
- Large, Corded
- Large, Wireless
- Warranty: 2 years.
Note: The Serial Number is located on the underside of the magnetic battery cover. Serial number is required for warranty claims.
- Package Contents:
Wired Models: Evoluent VerticalMouse D, User Guide
Wireless Models: Evoluent VerticalMouse D, 1 x AA Battery (several months life under average office use), Wireless Micro Receiver, USB Extender Cable for Micro Receiver, User Guide
- Work With Your Arm: For optimum ergonomic value the majority of your mouse movement should be performed with movement coming from your arm. By doing so a neutral alignment of your wrist can be maintained. Finer, small movements can be achieved by slight deflection of the wrist and flexing of the fingers, especially if the mouse sensor speed is set to "High".
- Maintain a Neutral Posture: When working with the Evoluent VerticalMouse you will want to ensure that your worksurface is positioned at a height which maintains a "neutral" or "straight" line through the back of the wrist. Ergonomically this is the ideal posture and may require adjustment of either the worksurface height (where possible) or of the height of your chair. It is especially important to ensure that the worksurface where the mouse is located is not too high as this will either be forcing your shoulder up unnaturally or your arm will be angled over the rigid edge of the worksurface. Either of these are undesirable and can significantly increase the risk of developing Repetitive Strain Injuries. The vertical orientation which the Evoluent VerticalMouse achieves naturally brings your elbow closer to your torso. If you find that your elbow is "flared" out while using the Evoluent you may want to check the height of your desk and lower it if necessary. The other reason for a flared elbow may be the reach across the numeric keypad. There are keyboard options available which either move the numeric keypad to the left or totally eliminate it for those who make limited use of the numeric keypad or who can learn to employ the standard upper rank numeric keys on the keyboard.
- Take Breaks: One of the most common causes of RSI is the "repetitive" nature of the actions undertaken. Extensive mousing (or keyboarding) without breaks can be the trigger which releases a full-blown RSI. Even the most ergonomic of mice or keyboards cannot change this fact. The Evoluent Mouse Manager Software includes a "Break Reminder" function which you can set to occur on a regular basis throughout the day. A quick stretch or short change of function may be all that is required to avoid possible painful consequences.
- Reduce Your Clicking: Repetitive clicking can be greatly reduced through the options available in the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software. Setting an "auto-click" for either the left or right clicks can significantly reduce the number of clicks needed to be performed by the fingers. In addition, multiple movements, clicks, and awkward keyboard reaches can be combined to a single click by pre-programming common actions to one of the buttons. Advanced operators can even set "program specific" settings which will automatically apply when switching between various applications.
- If you encounter occasions where your Evoluent VerticalMouse D Wireless is having trouble maintaining the wireless connection, use the include USB extension cable to place the receiver in closer proximity to the mouse. Simply unplug the receiver from your computer, plug in the extension cable, connect the receiver to the other end of the extension and place the receiver on your desktop, closer to the mouse.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|VMDSW|| Evoluent Vertical Mouse D Wireless, Small|
|VMDMW|| Evoluent Vertical Mouse D Wireless, Medium|
|VMDLW|| Evoluent Vertical Mouse D Wireless, Large|
|MP1|| Evoluent Wrist Support Mouse Pad, rigid one piece 7" x 7" mousing surface with attached gel wrist pad|