Page last updated: Fri, 11-Oct-2019 14:39:45
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Evoluent VerticalMouse Dby Evoluent
| Usage Tips |
The Evoluent VerticalMouse D showcases over 20 years of continuous improvement in ergonomic Vertical mouse design. The VerticalMouse D is the sixth generation of the Evoluent VerticalMouse and reflects a rich history of ergonomic innovation. The VerticalMouse D retains all of the benefits associated with earlier Evoluent VerticalMouse models while including design changes that offer both improved control as well as comfort when compared with earlier generations.
The most noticeable design improvement on the Evoluent VerticalMouse D is the new patented vertically grooved buttons. This new "first of its kind" innovation provides a natural resting place for the fingertips that is not only more comfortable but also effectively makes the mouse an "extension" of the hand. With the fingertips lightly resting in the grooved buttons the mouse is naturally held in position, virtually eliminating any need or desire to "grip" the mouse. The end result is not only an enhanced degree of cursor precision but a more relaxed hand and forearm.
Those who have used earlier versions of the Evoluent VerticalMouse will also discover subtle changes in the body contours that encourage the hand to more naturally "curve" around the mouse as well as a slightly wider lower finger flange to better prevent surface contact.
The pointer speed control on the VerticalMouse D is still placed just behind the buttons but is more easily accessed than on earlier models of the Evoluent VerticalMouse. The fingers are able to easily identify and activate the gently-curved raised button without any risk of accidentally clicking. The four speeds (Extra Low, Low, Medium, & High) activate sequentially with each click of the speed control so users can quickly adapt the mouse to the need of the moment. The illuminated setting indicator is located at the front of the thumb rest.
The MouseManager Software from Evoluent lets users customize their mouse to meet their requirements. Any of the 6 buttons can be assigned custom commands. The driver also includes additional enhancements such as instant access to screen brightness adjustment via the scroll wheel.
The VerticalMouse D is currently only available as a Right Hand Model. There are currently Small and Medium models available in both Wired or Wireless, with a Large size arriving in early 2020.
Choose the Correct Size:
Selecting a mouse that best matches hand size is important when addressing ergonomic issues. This Sizing Guide can be used to determine whether a Small, Medium or Large size Evoluent VerticalMouse D is the appropriate size.
View the entire range of Evoluent models.
Comfortable and Easy to Use
- The Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 D is optimally sculpted to yield uncompromising comfort and easy-to-reach programmable buttons, eliminating finger stretching and contortions.
Maintains Blood Flow through the Wrist
- Conventional horizontal mice cause your forearm to twist away from its natural position, which can reduce blood flow, contort muscles into awkward positions and increase the rate of fatigue. For many, this can result in discomfort and pain while mousing.
Eliminates Forearm Pronation
- The design of the Evoluent VerticalMouse improves comfort and control when mousing, with a patented shape that supports the hand in a relaxed handshake position, and a sculpted “notch” for your thumb to rest in. This innovative design eliminates forearm twisting and minimizes the effort required to use the mouse.
Learn More About Pronation.
Can Reduce or Eliminate Wrist Extension
- Traditional mice require that the hand be in a facedown position on the mouse. Users tend to plant the heel of their hand on the mousing surface and then attempt to move the mouse with the thumb and pinkie or ring fingers. This puts the wrist into a position of extension which can lead to painful RSI. The Evoluent VerticalMouse addresses this by rotating the hand away from the desk, eliminating the tendency to "plant" the hand. While users can still create some wrist extension by flexing their wrist for left/right movements this can also be easily addressed by learning to move the Evoluent VerticalMouse with the arm rather than the hand.
Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Can Address Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
- The vertical orientation into which the Evoluent VerticalMouse rotates the hand is intended to address excessive tension which is put on the tendons and tissue of the forearm when the hand is rotated into the facedown position common in both mousing and keyboarding. This tension is known to commonly manifest in what is usually referred to as "tennis elbow", when inflammation develops where the tendon attaches to the outer edge of the elbow. Eliminating the tension by addressing the pronation issue permits the tendon to relax and as the attachment point is no longer under continuous stress the tissue is permitted to rest and heal.
Learn More About Lateral Epicondylitis.
Reduces Potential for “Anticipation of the Click” and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The ergonomic design and low click force of the Evoluent encourages the user to let their fingers remain "at rest" against the buttons, rather than hovering over them in anticipation of clicking. Since the fingers can relax against the mouse there is no hovering or stretching action of the fingers which can lead to development of Trigger Finger.
Learn More About Trigger Finger
Almost No Learning Curve
- Users employ the same familiar handhold as with an ordinary mouse (just turned sideways), and the buttons are operated by the same fingers. This virtually eliminates any need to retrain or establish new muscle memory when mousing.
- The Evoluent VerticalMouse D features patented "grooved" buttons that engage the fingertips in such as way that the clicking action generates virtually no lateral movement. The result is increased cursor stability
- Pointer control is as accurate as any other high-quality performance mouse with the addition of on-mouse adjustable speed controls. Pointer speed can be instantly cycled through 4 settings (Extra Low, Low, Medium and High).
Encourages Load Balancing or Spreading Software Option
- Mouse Manager for Windows offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. Users have the option of reassigning button commands for load balancing or duplicating commands on multiple buttons in order to spread the load across multiple digits. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX.
Offers Alternative Clicking Options to Reduce Repetition
- Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. OR reassign commands to a different button or multiple bottoms to lighten or spread the clicking load. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Provides Alternatives to Static Strain For Click-Drag Operations
- Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Break Reminder Option
- Set up visual and/or audio alerts to remind you to take a break. Note:
Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
Sized to Fit
- With 3 sizes available users are able to select the model that best fits their hand size. Doing this will provide optimal control and comfort, reducing stress in the hand and forearm.
- Contoured and Textured: The contoured black portion of the body where one holds the mouse has a polyurethane coating, allowing the user to have complete control of the mouse just by resting one's hand on it—practically eliminating the need to grip the mouse. A lightly textured zone behind the buttons improves traction.
- Form-Fitting Shape: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D features soft contouring that the hand naturally forms around. Combined with the ground-breaking vertically grooved button design, these contours create a mouse that naturally sockets itself into the hand, virtually eliminating any need to exert force to "grip" or control the mouse. With 3 sizes now available users are able to optimize the fit to their personal requirements.
- Multiple Sizes: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D Right hand model is available in a Small, Medium and Large* sizes to meet the needs of all users. The sizing guide can be used to determine a suitable selection.
* Large size will be arriving early 2020.
- Adjustable Laser Sensor: A single easily-accessed pointer speed button on the side facilitates convenient adjustment without changing hand position on the mouse.
- Pointer Speed Indicators: LED-illuminated indicators at the front of the thumb rest advise users of the currently selected pointer speed.
- Useful and Intuitive Driver: Mouse Manager for Windows offers extensive custom, and even contextual (program specific), programming options yet is still easy to use through a simple and intuitive interface. The Mouse Manager software is also available for MAC OSX with a slightly limited range of options.
- Wireless Option: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D is available in Wired or Wireless format for PC.
- Scroll Wheel: Grooved soft rubber with tactile detents. The Scroll Wheel is also "clickable" and provides a "forward" command by default. This command can also be customized using the Evoluent Mouse Manager Software.
- Finger Flange: The large finger flange prevents the fifth finger from dragging on desk.
- Speed Toggle: Move up or down through the 4 pointer speed settings with the easy-to-access side button and clearly visible illuminated indicators.
- Application Dependent Buttons: Create customized button programming which automatically take effect depending on which application is active. Note: Installation of the Evoluent Mouse Manager is required for any custom programming.
- Quality Ergonomic Design: The Evoluent VerticalMouse D is engineered with a high quality sensor coupled with the low button activation force for which all models of the Evoluent are known. Button action and vertical scroll wheel movement is smooth, consistent and precise. Improved contours provide greater comfort and a more relaxed grip.
- Relaxed Handshake Position: The enhanced ergonomic contoured shape of the Evoluent VerticalMouse D supports the hand in a natural handshake position that eliminates forearm twisting. Users employ the same familiar grip as with an ordinary mouse, but in a vertical orientation, so almost no retraining is needed. Clicking the mouse buttons does not result in unwanted movement because the thumb naturally opposes other finger movements.
- Light Tactile Buttons: The buttons on the VerticalMouse D take about half the force of traditional mice to click, so your fingers won't get tired with the high frequency of clicking required in programs. The button force is low for easy clicking, but still retains sufficient tactile firmness to avoid accidental actuation.
- Six Buttons: The VerticalMouse provides a total of 6 buttons. Two thumb operated buttons and 3 finger operated buttons are provided, with the scroll wheel providing a sixth button.
- Auto Click Option: Automatically perform a single or double click by pausing the pointer. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Click Lock (or Drag Lock): Press and hold a button momentarily to simulate continued pressing without holding down the button. The time delay before activation is adjustable. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
- Break Reminder: Set up visual and/or audio alerts to remind you to take a break. Note: Evoluent Mouse Manager Software required.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Evoluent VerticalMouse D
VerticalMouse D, Inside View
VerticalMouse D, Rear View
VerticalMouse D, Removes Forearm Twist
VerticalMouse D, Vertically Grooved Buttons for Increased Control
VerticalMouse D, Features
VerticalMouse D, Sizing Guide
- VerticalMouse D Sizing Chart: Image
- Small: 3.375" (8.6 cm)
- Medium: 3.375" (8.6 cm)
- Large: Coming
(front to back)
- Small: 4.25" (10.8 cm)
- Medium: 4.375" (11.1 cm)
- Large: Coming
- Small: 3." (7.6 cm)
Medium: 3" (7.6 cm)
- Large: Coming
- Small:132 grams
- Medium: 136 grams
- Large: Coming
- Laser Resolution: Extra Low, Low, Medium, High
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10; 32 bit and 64 bit versions
Fixed button functions without a driver.
Other Operating Systems:
- Mac driver for OS X 10.5 and up on the Evoluent download page may be used to program the buttons. Note: Mac driver includes most but not all of the functions of the Windows version.
Fixed button functions without a driver. Third party drivers may be available from other vendors.
- Interface: USB A (not compatible with PS/2 adapters or KVM switches)
Note: Requires adapter (not included) for USB Type-C on some notebook computers.
- Programmable Functions for Each Button:
- Left Click
- Right Click
- Wheel/Middle Click
- Auto Pan
- Double Click
- Drag Scroll
- Keystroke Recording
- Launch Application
- Page Down
- Page Up
- Print Screen
- Show/Hide Desktop
- Switch Applications
The lower Thumb button (#6) has several additional programmable functions.
- Eye Comfort - to adjust screen brightness on the fly using the Scroll Wheel
- Horizontal Scroll
- Secondary Functions - to provide access to a second layer of commands on the other 5 buttons
- Note on Programmable Functions: If button 6 (bottom thumb button) is programmed for "Secondary Function", then a second layer of functions can be added to buttons 1, 2, 3, and 4. This allows for up to ten (10) functions to be programmed into the Evoluent VerticalMouse D. (6 buttons - 1 as toggle + second layer for 4 buttons = 9 functions)
- Default Buttons:
Note: The Evoluent Mouse Manager Software offers an on-the-fly Eye Comfort adjustment for screen brightness. Users can select one of three key command options that can be used to activate the Eye Comfort adjustment that is done completed by rolling the scroll wheel to adjust the brightness. Button #6 can also be programmed to activate this feature. Screen adjustment affects only the primary screen in multi-screen environments.
Available Drivers | Evoluent VerticalMouse drivers
- Top finger button: Left click
- Middle finger button: Middle click
- Bottom finger button: Right click
- Scroll wheel button: Forward
- Top thumb button: Backward
- Bottom thumb button: Secondary Functions
Available Models |
- Large, Corded
- Large, Wireless
- Warranty: 2 years.
Note: These mice come with a "warranty tag" on the cord. If the "warranty tag" is removed, the warranty on that mouse is voided.
- Package Contents:
Wired Models: Evoluent VerticalMouse D, User Guide
Wireless Models: Evoluent VerticalMouse D, 1 x AA Battery (several months life under average office use), Wireless Micro Receiver, User Guide
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|VMDM|| Evoluent Vertical Mouse D, Medium, Corded|
|VMDS|| Evoluent Vertical Mouse D, Small, Corded|
|MP1|| Evoluent Wrist Support Mouse Pad, rigid one piece 7" x 7" mousing surface with attached gel wrist pad|