The UltraBoard 950 compact keyboard from Bakker Elkhuizen reduces the reach to the mouse by repositioning the navigation keys and removing the numeric keypad. The result is a keyboard with a width of just 11.22". This compact design reduces the distance the right hand must move when switching between keyboard and mouse usage by at least 6" (when compared to a standard full-size keyboard). In doing so it reduces the potential for associated shoulder issues that can arise from repetitive overreaching.
The UltraBoard 950 also features a low profile with a maximum height of just 0.75" to reduce the potential for wrist extension. The scissor-stabilized switches are topped with slightly concave keycaps to help guide the fingers to the optimum keying position. The light colour keycaps are matte finish to reduce glare and are printed with high contrast darker colours to optimize viewing under all lighting conditions. Convenient dual USB ports are located on the left and right of the keyboard housing for connection of a mouse, USB stick, etc. The compact dimensions and low weight of the UltraBoard 950 make it very suitable for mobile computing.
If numeric entry is required the UltraBoard 950 does include an "embedded" numeric keypad or it can also be easily accessorized with the matching Ultraboard 955 Numeric Keypad or the S-Board 840 Design Numeric Keypad and Calculator. Both of these convenient accessories can be positioned wherever most convenient. Those who want to reduce their reach but prefer to still have an attached numeric keypad may wish to consider the UltraBoard 960 Compact Standard keyboard.
Reduces Overreaching for the Mouse
- Regular size keyboards with integrated numeric keypads on the right often make reaching for the mouse on the right-hand side an ergonomic risk factor. The further the reach for the mouse (from the dominant hand home row, over the navigation keys, over the numeric keypad), the greater the risk of injuries to the arm and shoulder due to overreaching. The UltraBoard 950 reduces this potential risk factor by eliminating the built-in numeric keypad on the right side and repositioning the navigation keys. The result is that it achieves an extremely compact width of just 11.22".
Reduces Risk of Wrist Extension
- With the highest point of this keyboard sitting at just 0.75" above the desk surface, the low-profile design of this keyboard reduces the need for users to bend their wrist so their fingers can reach the keys. This posture, known as wrist extension, reduces blood flow through the wrist, and contributes to fatigue, pain and numbness in the hand and forearm. Learn More About Wrist Extension
Regardless of the devices in use, wrist extension or flexion cannot be prevented if the work surface is either too high, or too low. Learn More About Incorrect Work Surface Height
- The tops of the keycaps are slightly "concave" to guide the fingers to an optimal central contact point. This also improves tactility compared with completely flat top keycaps by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps. This improved tactility can help prevent mistyping and hence reduce the overall number of key activations required.
- Compact Size: The UltraBoard 950 is just 11.22" (28.5 cm) wide, 6-7 inches narrower than the average conventional keyboard.
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: The UltraBoard 950 retains numeric functions with the inclusion of an "embedded" numeric keypad, which is simply certain legended letter keys on the right side of the keyboard that can double as number keys when accessed through the "FN" key when the Num Lock function is engaged.
- Two-Port USB 2.0 Hub: The UltraBoard 950 is equipped with two USB 2.0 ports to connect devices such as a mouse, standalone numeric keypad, or memory device.
- Full Size Keycaps for Most Keys: With the exception of the upper row of secondary keys and the navigation key cluster, the keycap size and key pitch (the space between the keys) are standard. This means that there is a minimal learning curve when transferring keyboarding skills to this keyboard.
- High Contrast Legending: The light-coloured matte keycaps and contrasting dark legends reduce reflection and increase visibility.
- Concave Keycaps: The keycaps have a slightly concave surface that improves tactility by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps and guiding the fingers to the key centers.
- Low Profile: With a maximum height of just 0.75", the potential for wrist extension is minimized.
- High-Quality Scissor-Switch Keyswitches: High-quality scissor-switch keyswitches offer the low-travel feel of a laptop keyboard.
- One-Touch Hotkeys: The UltraBoard 950 has four standard hotkeys in the upper left corner that can open a new browser tab, access an email client, complete a printscreen, and activate the Num Lock.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)
UltraBoard 950 - Navigation Keys
UltraBoard 950 - Low Profile
UltraBoard 950 - Reduces Reach to Mouse
- UltraBoard 950 Product Sheet: PDF
- UltraBoard 950 User Manual: PDF
- Width: 11.22" (28.5 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): 5.79" (14.7 cm)
- Height: 0.75" (1.9 cm)
- Weight: 1.0 lb (455 grams)
- Keyswitch Type: Scissor-switch membrane
- Key Pitch: 0.75" (1.905 cm)
- Peak Force: 60 ± 5 grams
- Switch Travel: 2.7 ± 0.2 mm
- Keycap Legending: Light tone matte keycaps with dark legends.
- MultiMedia Keys: Simultaneously pressing the FN key and F7 thru F12 keys provides access to: Previous Track, Play/Pause, Next Track, Mute, Volume Down, Volume Up.
- USB Hub: 2 USB ports - located one on each side, towards the rear.
- Number of Keys: 79 + 4 Hotkeys
- Interface: USB
- Compatibility: Windows
- Warranty: 2 year limited warranty
- Package Contents: UtlraBoard 950 Keyboard, User Guide
- This compact keyboard will work equally well for you whether position your mouse on the right or left sides. The narrow footprint should aid you in reducing your reach on either side. If you feel that you still need a wrist support of some sort you may want to consider adding the low profile SAMA Palm Support. At just 0.5" in thickness and just 12" wide the SAMA will support the palms for a comfortable neutral alignment of the wrists.
- Familiarize yourself with the embedded numeric keypad. If your work requires occasional periods of more intense numeric entry using the numeric keypad may prove to be convenient. If the embedded numeric keypad does not meet your requirements consider adding one of the external numeric keypad options available as accessories.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.
| UltraBoard 950
| UltraBoard 955 Numeric Keypad
| S-Board 840 Design Numeric
| SAMA Palm Support, 2" x 12" x 0.5"