| Additional Resources Usage Tips |
The Handshoe Mouse from Hippus NV is designed to eliminate the 3 most common issues associated with the use of a computer mouse - gripping, pinching, and tensing of the fingers. The unique naturally supportive contours of the Handshoe Mouse permit the hand and fingers to completely relax whether actively engaged with the mouse or just resting between movements —like they do in a well-worn glove. This relaxed position eliminates the sustained static tension that most users tend to maintain when using a mouse and which are associated with the development of RSI. The recommended usage for this mouse is on the desk surface with the forearm fully supported by the desk or arm rest of the chair.
Identical in physical design to the newest model of the Handshoe Mouse, the Original BlueRay Track model is now available at a significantly reduced price while supplies last. Wired and Wireless models are available in three different sizes for right hand only.
Note: This model was only produced for right-handed users. Left-handed models are available in the newest version of the Handshoe Mouse
The Handshoe Mouse does not require any passive muscle tension to use, and prevents you from using any excessive muscle exertion while actively using the mouse, making it the only mouse on the market that is almost impossible to 'misuse'. Negative effects from 'anticipation of the click' (resulting in raised fingers and overexertion of the extensor muscles on traditional mice) are greatly reduced by the stabilized finger arch position provided by the design of the Handshoe Mouse. The design also incorporates a thumbrest which supports the thumb in a neutral and relaxed fashion, which also makes the Handshoe Mouse a good option for those experiencing thumb-related issues.
The optical tracking uses BlueRay Track technology and features a 1000 DPI sensor which will work on almost any surface. There are two buttons with scroll wheel (three on the large model) and a scroll wheel (clickable for middle click). No software is required - it works plug and play. It comes in black and is available in wired or wireless (the USB cable charges battery).
NOTE: For users seeking the best in performance and ergonomics the newest model of the Handshoe Mouse, the Handshoe Mouse , is also available, providing a full range of sizes for both RIGHT and LEFT handed users and featuring a new sensor with 1500 DPI performance and Light Click Force Buttons which dramatically reduce the effort required to activate clicks.
NOTE: Due to the greater amount of weight resting on a Handshoe Mouse (larger mouse, weight of hand and part of forearm) it is recommended that a firm, low friction mousing surface be used to minimize the effort required to move it.
Reduces Wrist Pronation
- The Handshoe Mouse creates a sloped position of the hand which reduces pronation by 20° (the hand when on the mouse is sloped with the thumb higher than the fifth finger). This reduction in pronation reduces tension in the tissues and tendons of the forearm because the forearm is no longer being required to maintain the hand in an unnatural "palm down" position.Learn More About Pronation
Reduces Wrist Extension
- Another risk factor that the Handshoe Mouse addresses is wrist extension, which can be made worse with mice that have too high a profile at the rear without gradual inclined support for the wrist. The gently tapered back of the Handshoe Mouse, however, provides such support through the elongated "ramp" that allows the hand and arm to gradually incline from the desk to the front buttons, preventing the wrist from excessive extension. This ramp also prevents users from planting the base of their palm and and trying to maneuver the mouse employing just their their wrist and fingers— another behaviour known to greatly increase the risk of developing serious Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI).Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Reduces Hand and Arm Fatigue
- The body shape, dimensions, and angle of the Handshoe Mouse are all carefully calculated to position the forearm and hand in a position which requires the least static tension in the muscles and tendons. The formed orthopaedic support eliminates any need to maintain tension to hold the hand and fingers in place. They are now able to remain at rest until there is a need for movement. For the fingers this movement becomes very minimal as they are already in position on the buttons and require nominal effort to slightly curl and relax (a natural action) to perform a click action. The forearm is also relaxed as cursor movement is spread throughout the fore and upper arm zones.
Reduces Shoulder and Neck Injuries
- Slanting the mouse by about 20° can reduce not only injuries due to pronation but even those associated with the neck and shoulders.
Reduces Potential for "Anticipation of the Click" and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The organic waterfall shape of the buttons means that the fingers are in a relaxed, curled "position of function" when resting on the Handshoe Mouse. No hovering of the hand (which can lead to development of Trigger Finger), or stretching of the fingers or thumbs is ever required when using on this mouse.Learn More About Trigger Finger
- Users can gain the optimum benefit from the Handshoe Mouse when the work surface or chair arm are correctly positioned to provide support for the forearm. Utilizing this support ensures that the wrist is positioned in as neutral a position as possible, reducing the risk of potentially damaging Wrist Extension. It also ensures the user can avoid placing the weight of the forearm on the base of the palm, and facilitates load balancing of movement between the wrist, arm and elbow. By transferring much of the force required for mousing to the stronger muscles of the arm instead of the weaker muscles of the wrist or hand, the overall workload can be distributed in the manner most appropriate for the user.
- Sculpted Body Shape: The sculpted design of the Handshoe Mouse's body allows for the hand to comfortably rest on the mouse without having to grip or pinch the sides in order to move it. In addition, the mouse slants slightly from the thumb groove to the small finger's edge by about 20°. It also inclines downward towards the elongated rear of the mouse to reduce wrist extension. All these design elements are combined in such a way as to provide maximum ergonomic benefits while maintaining an attractive and stylish look.
- Multiple Sizes (4 Right-Handed and 3 Left-Handed): Just as one size of glove won't fit all hands, nor can a mouse. Because the Handshoe Mouse is designed to fit the hand just as a glove would, it must be able to accommodate different hand sizes and come in both left and right handed versions. As a consequence there are seven distinct models available. PLEASE NOTE: The Blueray track model is only available in Right Hand models while stock lasts. Left hand users or those looking for the Light Click Models will want to consider the Handshoe Mouse
To determine which size is appropriate for the hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
- Wired and wireless models: In order to accommodate the widest range of working environments possible, there are both wired and wireless versions of the Handshoe Mouse. The wired model has a cord that plugs into your computer at one end (standard USB port) and into the mouse itself at the other end (smaller USB port). The wireless version's battery can be recharged using the USB cable.
- Two buttons for small and medium sizes: Both small and medium sizes of the Handshoe Mouse have two tactile switches corresponding to left and right mouse clicks. Between these is a clickable scroll wheel (slightly smaller than a standard scroll wheel). Handshoe Mouse Functions
- Three buttons for large size: The large size of the Handshoe Mouse has three tactile switches corresponding to left, right, and middle mouse clicks. On the Original and BlueRay Track models the third switch requires a lighter tactile force to activate than the other two standard switches. Handshoe Mouse Functions
- Rechargeable battery: The Wirelss version of the Handshoe Mouse uses a rechargeable Lithium battery. Battery life will vary depending on usage, number of recharges, etc. It is generally best to wait to recharge until the blue LED shows via the Scroll Wheel, indicating that the battery is getting low. Generally a 3-hour charge will return the battery to maximum capacity.
- Variable weight: The weight of the Handshoe Mouse can be lessened slightly by removing metal weights housed in the interior of the mouse. The weights located in the outer chamber in the underside are specifically there to allow the user to reduce the weight of the mouse. Research by Hippus NV determined the pivot weights for the various sizes, although they do not actively promote this feature of the mouse. However, if some users prefer a slightly lighter mouse, the adjustment is easily accomplished.
Note: to comfortably handle an object, it needs to have a certain weight.If an object is too light, extensor and flexor muscles have to continuously compensate for this, with the result that these muscles become overactive. This is highly counter productive when one aims to provide optimal relaxation to these muscles.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Proper handling - forearm resting on surface
Improper handling - forearm raised above surface
Proper grip - fingers and thumb relaxed
Improper grip - thumb pinched back
Improper grip - hand 'clawing' the mouse
Handshoe Mouse - front view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - front view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - back view of black model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model
Hand positioning on the white medium corded model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model - side view
Handshoe Mouse - main features
Handshoe Mouse - sizing chart
New 3D Interactive Virtual Product
- Width: Small: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
Medium: 4.875" (12.4 cm)
Large: 5.375" (13.6 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): Small: 5.875" (14.9 cm)
Medium: 6.625" (16.8 cm)
Large: 7.25" (18.4 cm)
- Height: (info unavailable but it does vary by size)
- Weight (wired and wireless): Small: 4.2 oz(120 grams)
Medium: 7.0 oz(200 grams)
Large: 8.8 oz (250 grams)
- Hand sizes: To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
Small: 6.75" (17.0 cm)
Medium: 7.5" (19.0 cm)
Large: 8.25" (21.0 cm)
- Buttons: Handshoe Mouse Functions
2 for Xsmall, Small and Medium (Left Click, Right Click)
3 for Large (Left Click, Right Click, Middle Click)
Scroll Wheel (all models) - Clickable for Middle Click
- Optical resolution: Varies by model - see below:Original: (discontinued): 800DPI
BlueRay Track models: 1000 DPI
BlueRay Track Light Click Force: 1500 DPI
- Range (wireless version only): 32.8' (10 m)
- Available colours: Original: White, Black
BlueRay Track: Black
BlueRay Track Light Click Force: Black
- Compatibility: PC: Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7
Mac: Mac OS 9, OS X
There are no drivers available for any OS.
- Interface: USB 1.1 (USB 2.0 ports can Accommodate USB 1.1 devices)
- Warranty: 1 year.
- Troubleshooting: After extensive testingit would appear that theHandshoe Mouse WILL NOT workwith a generic USB to PS2adapter.
- Button force: 65 grams ± 5 grams
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|M2WB|| Medium, right handed, corded, black, BlueRay Track Technology $130.00 - 50% OFF While Supplies Last = $65.00|
|L2WB|| Large, right handed, corded, black, BlueRay Track Technology $130.00 - 50% OFF While Supplies Last = $65.00|
|S2UB|| Small, right handed, cordless, black, BlueRay Track Technology $150.00 - 50% OFF While Supplies Last = $75.00|
|L2UB|| Large, right handed, cordless, black, BlueRay Track Technology $150.00 - 50% OFF While Supplies Last = $75.00|
|HSMOD|| Replacement receiver (forcordless Standard BlueRay Handshoe models only)|
|HSMC|| Replacement cable for Handshoe Mouse|
|8DG55-001-RET|| Black, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-002-RET|| Blue, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-003-RET|| Red, Retail Packaging|
|8DC31-RET|| Clear, Retail Packaging|
|8DGW55-RET|| White, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-HIP|| Black with Hippus logo, Bulk Packaging|