| Additional Resources |
The HandshoeMouse SHIFT from Hippus NV combines the anatomically-derived ergonomics of the original HandshoeMouse with an enhanced convertible ambidextrous design. This highly functional ergonomic design addresses the 3 most common issues associated with the use of a computer mouse - gripping, pinching, and tensing of the fingers. Naturally supportive contours permit the hand and fingers to completely relax whether actively engaged with the mouse or just resting between movements. This relaxed position eliminates the sustained static tension commonly maintained when using a mouse, and associated with the development of RSI. With its convertible ambidextrous design and three size options, virtually anyone can receive full support of the hand, wrist and fingers while actively mousing, whether right- or left-handed. Two low force light click buttons and a scroll wheel (clickable for middle click) provide standard "Plug-and-Play" functions.
For convenience the HandshoeMouse SHIFT offers both Bluetooth wireless (powered by a rechargeable internal battery) and corded functionality.
Note: For bluetooth connection the computer must have integrated bluetooth connectivity or be equipped with an external bluetooth receiver.
The HandshoeMouse SHIFT does not require any passive muscle tension or use, and discourages excessive muscle exertion while actively using the mouse, making it the only mouse on the market that is almost impossible to use incorrectly. The waterfall design of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT provides a naturally curved resting support for the fingers, allowing them to fully relax between clicks. This eliminates the negative effects from an anticipation of the click which on traditional mice results in raised, hovering fingers as well as overexertion and overextension of the extensor muscles. The design also incorporates a thumb rest which supports the thumb in a neutral and relaxed fashion making the HandshoeMouse a good option for those experiencing thumb-related issues such as DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitus. The recommended usage for this mouse is on the desk surface with the forearm fully supported by the desk or arm rest of the chair.
Due to the greater amount of weight resting on a HandshoeMouse (larger mouse, weight of hand and part of forearm) it is recommended that a firm, low friction mousing surface be used to minimize resistance to movement.
HandshoeMouse SHIFT Sizing Chart.
Eliminates Static Grip Force
- The HandshoeMouse Shift features an anatomically derived design that both supports and cradles the hand and fingers, eliminating any need to grip or pinch the mouse. The shape and sculpting effectively harness the force of gravity on the hands to ensure full mouse control without requiring any static grip force.
Ambidextrous Design Encourages Load Balancing
- The HandshoeMouse SHIFT
features a unique design that accommodates ambidextrous use. Turning the mouse over provides access to the Shift button that changes the angle for right or left use and the Left/Right button function switch reassigns the button functions. The freedom to readily shift between right and left usage encourages the use of both hands to perform clicking, scrolling and mouse movement, reducing the wear and tear that would usually be focused on a single hand and arm.
- The HandshoeMouse SHIFT
creates a sloped position of the hand which reduces pronation by 20° (the hand when on the mouse is sloped with the thumb higher than the fifth finger). This reduction in pronation reduces tension in the tissues and tendons of the forearm because the forearm is no longer being required to maintain the hand in an unnatural "palm down" position.Learn More About Pronation.
Reduces Wrist Extension
- Another risk factor that the HandshoeMouse SHIFT
addresses is wrist extension, which can be made worse with mice that have too high a profile at the rear without gradual inclined support for the wrist. The gently tapered back of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT
provides exactly this type of support through the elongated body that allows the hand and arm to gradually incline from the desk to the front buttons, preventing the wrist from excessive extension. This also prevents individuals from planting the base of their palm and and trying to move the mouse employing just their wrist and fingers — another behaviour known to greatly increase the risk of developing serious Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI).Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Reduces Potential for "Anticipation of the Click" and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The organic waterfall shape of the buttons means that the fingers are in a relaxed, curled "position of function" when resting on the HandshoeMouse SHIFT
. No hovering of the hand (which can lead to development of Trigger Finger), or stretching of the fingers or thumbs is ever required when using this mouse.Learn More About Trigger Finger.
Reduces Hand and Arm Fatigue
- The body shape, dimensions, and angle of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT
are all carefully calculated to position the forearm and hand in a position which requires the least static tension in the muscles and tendons. The formed orthopaedic support eliminates any need to maintain tension to hold the hand and fingers in place. They are now able to remain at rest until there is a need for movement. For the fingers this movement becomes very minimal as they are already in position on the buttons and require nominal effort to slightly curl and relax (a natural action) to perform a click action. The forearm is also relaxed as cursor movement is spread throughout the fore and upper arm zones.
- Gaining optimum benefit from the HandshoeMouse Shift can be achieved when the work surface or chair arm are correctly positioned to provide support for the forearm. Utilizing this support ensures that the wrist is positioned in as neutral a position as possible, reducing the risk of potentially damaging Wrist Extension. It also helps avoid placing the weight of the forearm on the base of the palm, and facilitates load balancing of movement between the wrist, arm and elbow. By transferring much of the force required for mousing to the stronger muscles of the arm instead of the weaker muscles of the wrist or hand, the overall workload can be distributed in the manner most appropriate.
- Sculpted Body Shape: The design elements that make the HandshoeMouse ergonomic are combined in such a way as to optimize the ergonomic benefits while maintaining an attractive and stylish look. Many have commented that the original Handshoe Mouse almost looks organic, and bore some similarities in appearance to a Manta Ray. The ambidextrous HandshoeMouse Shift takes into consideration these same design characteristics, with the added benefit of now being ambidextrous. And the Manta Ray similarity is even more striking.
- Three Sizes & Ambidextrous: Just as one size of glove won't fit all hands, nor can a mouse. To accommodate the full range of hand sizes, the HandshoeMouse SHIFT is available in three sizes, each designed to fit a specific range of hand size. And the ambidextrous design means that the Shift can be used just as easily by the Left hand as by the Right. To determine which size is appropriate for the hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
- Functions: All sizes of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT have two tactile switches corresponding to left and right mouse clicks. Between these is a clickable scroll wheel (slightly smaller than a standard scroll wheel) that also performs a middle click. When moving from Right to Left usage the L/R button on the underside should be used to change the button actions for Left or Right use.
- On/Off Switch: When the Bluetooth function of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT is not going to be used for an extended period it can be switched off to conserve battery power. This will also extend battery life by eliminating unnecessary charging cycles. The SHIFT can still operate as a corded mouse when the battery is switched off.
- Corded and Bluetooth Connection Options: In order to accommodate the widest possible range of working environments, the HandshoeMouse SHIFT is able to connect via Bluetooth wireless to any computer that has integrated bluetooth capability or through a bluetooth mini receiver. If a computer is not bluetooth-enabled and no bluetooth receiver is available the HandshoeMouse SHIFT can function as a Wired device by simply connecting the included charging cord.
- Rechargeable Battery: The wireless version of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT uses a rechargeable battery. In order to optimize battery life it is best to wait to recharge until the LEDs to the left and right of the index finger turns red. A 3 hour charge should bring the battery back to full capacity, at which point the LEDs will glow green. Doing this will ensure that the recharging cycles are optimized. If by accident the battery becomes fully discharged it may take up to 6 hours of charging to get back to full capacity. As with all rechargeable batteries, with age and repeated charging cycles you may find that the time between charges will begin to decrease. Under average use this may become more evident after the first four years. Even if the battery completely fails it is possible to continue to use the HandshoeMouse SHIFT as a corded mouse.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
HandshoeMouse SHIFT- Righthand Mode
Handshoe Mouse SHIFT- Lefthand Mode
HandshoeMouse SHIFT- Cradles Hand
HandshoeMouse SHIFT- Fingers are Relaxed
HandshoeMouse SHIFT- Control Switches
Small: 5.0" (12.7 cm)
Medium: 5.25" (13.3 cm)
Large: 5.75" (14.6 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back):
Small: 5.75" (14.6 cm)
Medium: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
Large: 7.125" (18.1 cm)
- Height: Varies by size
Small: 5.7 oz (162 grams)
Medium: 7.0 oz (200 grams)
Large: 9.0 oz (256 grams)
- Hand Sizing: To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
Small: 6.1" - 6.9" (15.5 - 17.5 cm)
Medium: 6.9" - 7.7" (17.5 - 19.5 cm)
Large: 7.7" - 8.5" (19.5 - 21.5 cm)
Buttons: 2 (Left Click, Right Click)
Scroll Wheel: Clickable for Middle Click
- Optical Resolution: 1000 DPI
- Bluetooth Range: 32.8' (10 m)
PC: Windows (all versions)
Mac: Mac OS 9, OS X
There are no drivers available for any OS.
Bluetooth: (via device-integrated Bluetooth or optional bluetooth receiver)
USB: (via included charging cord)
- Colour: Black
- Warranty: 3 year warranty
- Package Contents: HandshoeMouse SHIFT with Rechargeable
Battery, Charging Cord, Instruction Manual, Premium Cloth Storage Satchel
- Take advantage of the fully ambidextrous design of the HandshoeMouse SHIFT. By training yourself to use it with both left and right hands you can spread the clicking and scrolling workload between the fingers of both hands. And the overall movement of the mouse will also be spread to both arms.
- Use Arm Supports - It is recommended that the forearm be supported either by the desk or the arm rest of a chair. Where neither of these are available there may be the possibility of adding a specialized armrest which will provide the support necessary to receive the greatest level of benefit from your HandshoeMouse SHIFT.
- Position Your Mouse Correctly - If the HandshoeMouse SHIFT is positioned too low you will end up reaching down in order to position your hand on the body of the mouse. This INCORRECT POSITION will create an extreme degree of Wrist Extension. Not only will this prove to be very tiring and most almost certainly painful, it will also greatly increase the risk of developing a range of potential RSI. A CORRECTLY POSITIONED HandshoeMouse SHIFT will have the hand approaching the body of the mouse level or just above the height the mouse is positioned at, keeping the bend of the forearm/wrist junction to the lowest angle possible. For recommended usage see the Image Gallery
- Move the Mouse with Your Arm - Rather than trying to move the mouse with the fingers and wrist (the WRONG way), take the time to learn to move the mouse with your arm. Not only does this reduce many of the risks associated with mouse usage but it also encourages beneficial bloodflow through the arm and hand.
- Use a Firm Low-Friction Mousing Surface - In order to optimize movement and reap the greatest benefits from your HandshoeMouse SHIFT it is recommended to use the mouse on a firm* low friction mousing surface. The design of the Handshoe Mouse transfers a greater amount of weight onto the mouse than with standard mice that people control with just their fingers. As a result, there can be a greater degree of resistance to initial movement. This can result in a "jumpy" movement when either starting to move the mouse or when slowing to accurately target a specific point. These potential issues can easily be addressed by employing a surface which is designed to address resistance. WowPads are a cost-effective way of providing this benefit to your Handshoe Mouse.
(* The cushioning on a traditional fabric/textile topped mousepad compresses under the added weight of the hand fully resting on the HandshoeMouse, with the mouse slightly sinking into the pad. This creates additional resistance to movement that combines with the surface friction that is already present with the textile surface.)
- Battery Life and Recharging: A fully charged battery should provide sufficient power for 4-6 weeks of average use. For optimum battery life it is generally best to wait to recharge until the LEDs positioned to the left or right of the index fingers turn Red, indicating that the battery is getting low. Generally a 3-hour charge will return the battery to maximum capacity, with the indicator LEDs turning Green. If the battery is fully discharged it may take up to 6 hours to bring it back to full capacity. For optimum life it is recommended that batteries be drained no lower than 10% of capacity - hence the red indicator LEDs. Under average use the non-replaceable battery will generally provide at least 4 years before requiring more frequent charging. AND, even if the battery fully fails, the HandshoeMouse SHIFT can still be used as a wired mouse, just leaving the charging cord permanently attached.
Note: Charging requires that the USB port being used is "active", i.e. the computer must be turned on and not in sleep mode. A way to ensure this is the case is to actually perform charging while you continue to use the mouse.
- Avoid Draining the Rechargeable Battery: Fully draining the rechargeable battery can result in a loss of the bluetooth connection between the Handshoe Mouse Shift and the computer or bluetooth receiver. The bluetooth connection can be reset by following the simple pairing instructions included with the HandshoeMouse SHIFT. To avoid inadvertently draining the battery you should use the power switch on the underside to turn the SHIFT OFF when during extended periods where the Bluetooth wireless connection is not in use. The switch can remain in the OFF position whenever the SHIFT is being used as a Corded mouse.
- When first beginning to use the HandshoeMouse SHIFT you may wish to lower your mouse pointer speed. This is because you have most likely been using your fingers to perform micro-movements of the mouse. Because the HandshoeMouse SHIFT is designed to transfer this movement to the larger muscles of the arm you will probably find that the cursor moves too quickly. Lowering the pointer speed will assist in addressing this "jumpiness" that you may experience at first. As you become more proficient and your muscles learn the finer control you will most likely be able to incrementally increase the pointer speed while still retaining your new-found level of control.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|HSMshiftS|| HandshoeMouse SHIFT, Small|
|HSMshiftM|| HandshoeMouse SHIFT, Medium|
|HSMshiftL|| HandshoeMouse SHIFT, Large|
|8DG55-HIP|| Black with Hippus logo, Bulk Packaging|
|8DG55-001-RET|| Black, Retail Packaging|
|8DC31-RET|| Clear, Retail Packaging|
|8DGW55-RET|| White, Retail Packaging|