| Additional Resources
The InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand (CR3) from Carliss Industries is a portable, stable and highly durable laptop stand that is designed to accommodate use in both sitting and standing positions. The CR3 stand offers an impressive 19" to 41" height-adjustment range that can meet the ergonomic sitting and standing keyboard height requirements for individuals ranging from under 5 feet to at least 5'8". While this stand will easily meet the sitting requirements for those taller than 5'8" if the intended use is for more than limited standing they may benefit from the much greater elevation available in the InsTand Heavy-Duty Laptop Stand.
The high quality construction of the CR3 InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand, combined with the superior functionality it offers, makes this one of the best laptop stands available, with applications including healthcare, journalism, onsite inspections, and stage performing. The patented ergonomic tilt feature allows viewing at angles more suitable for comfort, while the innovative SureGrip surface on the 11" x 13" aluminum tray ensures that any laptop is securely positioned on the tray and prevented from sliding off at medium to high angles. When collapsed for transport, the CR3 tripod is easily stored in the provided compact 2" x 18.5" carry bag. If desired the CR3 stand can also be customized by adding optional accessories to enhance the functionality.
The CR3 stand is intended to offer both sitting and standing elevations. If the need is only for sitting applications the Basic InsTand Laptop Stand may be an alternate consideration.
Provides a More Suitable Worksurface than the Lap
- Laptops were designed to be compact and portable. However, they were never designed with ergonomics in mind. Although it is possible to fit a laptop on the lap, this is not where it should be used. This is due not only to the poor positioning of the screen but also because the heat generated from the laptop will build up if the cooling vent is blocked, causing comfort issues or perhaps even burns to the legs. For any of these reasons, it is better for the laptop to have its own dedicated stand or platform.
Adjustable Height Range
- For sitting or standing applications, the CR3 provides ample height-range adjustability - from 19" to 41" off the floor. This ensures that individuals always have the option of positioning their laptop to an optimum height.
Easily Portable and Compact
- Since laptops themselves are compact and portable by design, it follows that the stand on which a laptop is placed should also be compact and portable, especially when work is being performed in multiple locations. The CR3 can easily be folded and stored when it needs to be transported, even coming with its own carry bag. The lightweight material of the CR3 makes transporting it easier as well.
Optimally Positions Laptop Screen and Separate Keyboard
- On laptops, the screen and built-in keyboard are joined at the hinge, making either typing or looking at the screen awkward and potentially injurious over lengthy periods of usage. If an ergonomic workstation is the goal, a separate monitor or a separate keyboard is a necessity, so that either of these can be better positioned relative to the other. In the case of the CR3, getting a secondary compact keyboard is the easiest and most affordable option. The CSK-CT1 SideKick Tray accessory attaches to the CR1 stand below the upper laptop tray, providing a surface suitable for placement of a compact keyboard. By positioning the keyboard independently the screen can be positioned as high as possible for optimum viewing and the keyboard lowered to a suitably neutral ergonomic position. This will ensure better ergonomics when using a laptop for longer periods of time. Learn More About the Effects of Incorrect Monitor Position and Palmar Flexion
- For a bit more adjustability, the CR3 has tilting capabilities built into the tripod feet, so that the worksurface angle can be adjusted from 0° to 8° in three increments. This can be utilized to improve the screen viewing angle as well as aiding in creating a slight negative inclination on the keyboard to help avoid wrist extension. Learn More about Wrist Extension.
- Adjustable Height Range: The 19" to 41" range of the telescoping tripod column is sufficient to ensure correct worksurface height for either sitting or standing applications.
- Holds Most Laptop Sizes: The 11" by 13" CT4 tray that comes with the CR3 is ideally sized to hold most laptops, even if they are slightly larger in width. As long as the laptop is centered where the tripod attaches to the tray, the center of balance will help keep the laptop stable on the stand. This also allows the tray to remain compact and portable.
- Prevents Laptop from Slipping: Some people might be concerned that their laptop will slip and fall off the tray, especially if the stand is bumped and tipped slightly in one direction. The SureGrip pad on every Instand tray prevents just such accidents from happening, as the non-slip surface provides sufficient resistance against slippage when the full weight of the laptop presses down on it. There is no additional need for clumsy mechanical attachments, gluing, taping, etc.
- Quick and Easy Setup: With just two basic components, i.e the height-adjustable foldable tripod and removable tray, setup time is minimal. Setup is as easy as unfolding the tripod feet and attaching the tray by spinning it onto the head of the tripod. Height adjustment is just as easy; simply loosen the release knob, raise or lower the pole to the ideal height, and retighten.
- Durable Construction: Made of anodized aircraft grade aluminum (and composites), the CR3 is sturdy and durable enough to last for years without compromising the safety of laptops.
- Compact and Portable: The simple design of the CR3 means that disassembling the tray from the tripod, folding it up, and placing it in its carry bag can be completed in seconds. No detailed instructions are necessary.
- Lightweight: Because the CR3 is made of aluminum with smaller parts in plastic, weight is never an issue. At only 26 oz, the tripod itself is extremely light.
- Optional Add-on Accessories: There are several optional accessories to make the CR3 even more versatile and configurable, including other tray sizes beside the included 11" x 13" tray, a palm rest accessory for supporting palms while typing on the laptop keyboard, and the SideKick with Tray, allowing a secondary compact keyboard to be attached to the tripod for better ergonomic benefits.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)
InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand - in use, standing
InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand - with SideKick Mouse & Tray
InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand - with Wrist Support Accessory
- Although a laptop stand is generally only used for short periods that doesn't mean that ergonomics are unimportant. Repetitive strain issues generally develop over a period of time, usually as a result of poor ergonomic placement of devices. This makes it very important that you try to optimize your ergonomics even when use is for short periods.
- While the CR3 stand is capable of providing a suitable sitting keyboard height for individuals ranging from under 5' to well over 6', there will be a sacrifice with regards to monitor height. If the laptop is placed directly on the tray and the height adjusted to correctly position the keyboard for optimum ergonomics this will leave the monitor well below your appropriate viewing height. The result will be that your neck will be bent at all times in order to see what is on the screen. The taller you are the greater the degree of bend that will be required. If you attempt to address this by raising the stand you will be able to reduce the bend in your neck by a limited amount but in doing so will move the hands and forearms away from their optimal ergonomic position. These concerns can to a great extent be addressed by adding the SideKick Tray accessory (CSK-CT1) and employing a compact keyboard. This will let you elevate the monitor as high as possible to improve the viewing position and then place your keyboard at a height that is optimal for your hands and forearms. While it may not be possible for you to achieve the "ideal" workstation this will certainly be much more suitable than trying to rely on "making do" with positioning that is less-than-optimal for both screen and keyboard height. If you are 5'8" or taller and wish to work from both sitting and standing positions you may wish to consider the InsTand Heavy-Duty Laptop Stand due to the greater elevation available on this model.
- Regardless of how you use your CR3 Laptop Stand, try to limit your usage to shorter periods unless you have been able to achieve optimum screen and keyboard height. If you are using it without the keyboard tray accessory make a point of looking up and away from the screen on a regular basis to provide your neck muscles a chance to recover. Extended periods spent with your neck hunched to view the screen can greatly increase the risk of developing neck-related issues, and at the least will most likely leave you with neck tension and shoulder strain.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.
| Sit/Stand model
| Palm rest
| SideKick Mount with 9.625" x 12" CT1 Tray