| Additional Resources |
The Basic InsTand Laptop Stand (CR1) from Carliss Industries is a lightweight and extremely portable laptop stand solution for mobile workers. This stand provides a stable surface for laptop placement when working from a seated position and is easily adjusted from 14" to 31" to optimize laptop placement for the best ergonomics. Weighing just 22 ounces and collapsing down to just 13" in length, this laptop stand offers portability, stability, and durability.
The high quality construction of the CR1 Basic Instand Laptop Stand, combined with the superior functionality it offers, make this one of the best laptop stands available, with applications including healthcare, journalism, onsite inspections, and stage performing. The patented ergonomic tilt feature allows viewing at angles more suitable for comfort, while the innovative SureGrip surface on the 11" x 13" aluminum tray ensures that any laptop is securely positioned on the tray and prevented from sliding off at medium to high angles. If desired the CR1 stand can also be customized by adding optional accessories to enhance the functionality.
If there is a need for a stand that is suitable for both sitting and standing applications the InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand or the InsTand Heavy-Duty Laptop Stand which both offer a greater range of elevations should be considered.
Provides a More Suitable Worksurface than the Lap
- Laptops were designed to be compact and portable. However, they were never designed with ergonomics in mind. Although people can fit a laptop on their lap, a laptop should not be used on the lap other than for short periods. This is due not only to the poor positioning of the screen but also because the heat generated from the laptop will build up if the cooling vent is blocked, causing comfort issues or perhaps even burns to the legs. For any of these reasons, it is better for the laptop to have its own dedicated stand or platform.
Adjustable Height Range
- For sitting applications, the CR1 provides ample height-range adjustability - from 14" to 31" off the floor. This ensures that individuals always have the option of positioning their laptop to an optimum height.
Easily Portable and Compact
- Since laptops themselves are compact and portable by design, it follows that the stand on which a laptop is placed should also be compact and portable, especially when work is being performed in multiple locations. The CR1 can easily be folded and stored when it needs to be transported, even coming with its own carry bag. The lightweight construction makes transporting it easier as well.
Optimally Positions Laptop Screen and Separate Keyboard
- On laptops, the screen and built-in keyboard are joined at the hinge, making either typing or looking at the screen awkward and potentially injurious over lengthy periods of usage. If an ergonomic workstation is the goal, a separate monitor or a separate keyboard is a necessity, so that either of these can be better positioned relative to the other. In the case of the CR1, getting a secondary compact keyboard is the easiest, most affordable, and obviously the most portable option. The CSK-CT1 SideKick Tray accessory attaches to the CR1 stand below the upper laptop tray, providing a surface suitable for placement of a compact keyboard. By positioning the keyboard independently the screen can be positioned as high as possible for optimum viewing and the keyboard lowered to a suitably neutral ergonomic position. This will ensure better ergonomics when using a laptop for longer periods of time.Learn More About the Effects of Incorrect Monitor Position and Palmar Flexion
- For a bit more adjustability, the CR1 has tilting capabilities built into the tripod feet, so that the worksurface angle can be adjusted from 0° to 8° in three increments. This can be utilized to improve the screen viewing angle as well as aiding in creating a slight negative inclination on the keyboard to help avoid wrist extension. Learn More about Wrist Extension.
- Adjustable Height Range: The 14" to 31" range of the telescoping tripod column is sufficient to ensure correct worksurface height for most sitting applications.
- Holds Most Laptop Sizes: The 11" by 13" CT4 tray that comes with the CR1 is ideally sized to hold most laptops, even if they are slightly larger in width. As long as the laptop is centered where the tripod attaches to the tray, the center of balance will help keep the laptop stable on the stand. This also allows the tray to remain compact and portable.
- Prevents Laptop from Slipping: Some people might be concerned that their laptop will slip and fall off the tray, especially if the stand is bumped and tipped slightly in one direction. The SureGrip pad on every Instand tray prevents just such accidents from happening, as the non-slip surface provides sufficient resistance against slippage when the full weight of the laptop presses down on it. There is no additional need for clumsy mechanical attachments, gluing, taping, etc.
- Quick and Easy Setup: With just two basic components, i.e. the height-adjustable foldable tripod and removable tray, setup time is minimal. Setup is as easy as unfolding the tripod feet and attaching the tray by spinning it onto the head of the tripod. Height adjustment is just as easy; simply loosen the release knob, raise or lower the pole to the ideal height, and retighten.
- Durable Construction: Made of anodized aircraft grade aluminum (and composites), the CR1 is sturdy and durable enough to last for years without compromising the safety of laptops.
- Compact and Portable: The simple design of the CR1 means that disassembling the tray from the tripod, folding it up, and placing it in its carry bag can be done in seconds.
- Lightweight: Because the CR1 is constructed primarily of aluminum, weight is never an issue. At only 22 oz, the tripod itself is extremely light.
- Optional Add-on Accessories: There are several optional accessories to make the CR1 even more versatile and configurable, including other tray sizes beside the included 11" x 13" tray, a palm rest accessory for supporting palms while typing on the laptop keyboard, and the SideKick with Tray, allowing a secondary compact keyboard to be supported by the tripod for better ergonomic benefits.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Basic InsTand Laptop Stand
Basic InsTand Laptop Stand - in sitting position
Basic InsTand Laptop Stand - SideKick Mount & Tray
Basic InsTand Laptop Stand - Wrist Support
- Although a laptop stand is generally only used for short periods that doesn't mean that ergonomics are unimportant. Repetitive strain issues generally develop over a period of time, usually as a result of poor ergonomic placement of devices. This makes it very important that you try to optimize your ergonomics even when use is for short periods.
- While the CR1 stand is capable of providing a suitable keyboard height for individuals ranging from under 5' to well over 6', there will be a sacrifice with regards to monitor height. If the laptop is placed directly on the tray and the height adjusted to correctly position the keyboard for optimum ergonomics this will leave the monitor well below your appropriate viewing height. The result will be that your neck will be bent at all times in order to see what is on the screen. The taller you are the greater the degree of bend that will be required. If you attempt to address this by raising the stand you will be able to reduce the bend in your neck by a limited amount but in doing so will move the hands and forearms away from their optimal ergonomic position. These concerns can to a great extent be addressed by adding the SideKick Tray accessory (CSK-CT1) and employing a compact keyboard. This will let you elevate the monitor as high as possible to improve the viewing position and then place your keyboard at a height the is optimum for your hands and forearms. While it may not be possible for you to achieve the "ideal" workstation this will certainly be much more suitable than trying to rely on "making do" with positioning that is less-than-optimal for both screen and keyboard height. If being able to achieve closer to the optimum positions for both the keyboard and monitor height it may be worth considering the InsTand Sit/Stand Laptop Stand and the SideKick Mouse & Tray accessory (CSK-CT1) as this combination offers a greater range of elevation that will let the screen be elevated to a more optimum viewing height while keeping the keyboard at the appropriate elevation.
- Regardless of how you use your CR1 Laptop Stand, try to limit your usage to shorter periods. If you are using it without the keyboard tray accessory make a point of looking up and away from the screen on a regular basis to provide your neck muscles a chance to recover. Extended periods spent with your neck hunched to view the screen can greatly increase the risk of developing neck-related issues, and at the least will most likely leave you with neck tension and shoulder strain.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|CR1|| Basic InsTand Laptop Stand, includes CT4 tray (11" x 13")|
|STR|| Palm rest|
|CSK-CT1|| SideKick Mount with 9.625" x 12" CT1 Tray|