| Additional Resources |
The CR5 Heavy-Duty Laptop Stand from Carliss Industries is an ideal laptop stand for applications where sturdiness and durability are essential. The CR5 is made of highly polished chrome plated steel. Much heavier than the both the CR1 and CR3 Instand laptop stands, the CR5 weighs in at 8 lbs. Because of its strength and stability it can be used with confidence indoors or outdoors, in industrial settings, in hospitals, or any location where these qualities are necessary. If a mobile laptop stand is necessary the CR5 can be accessorized with high quality 3" industrial casters. The Heavy-Duty Laptop Stand is also attractive enough to use on stage or in the courtroom, and is often purchased by golf and sports professionals for "sports analysis" photography.
The CR5 Laptop Stand offers a much greater range of elevation than the CR1 and CR3 stands. The tray height can be adjusted from 27" to 54", thus offering taller individuals the option of bringing the screen to a much more ergonomic viewing height for both sitting and standing applications. By adding the optional side tray and a compact keyboard the hands and forearms can be positioned ergonomically while having the screen also elevated to a more ergonomic viewing height.
Other configurations of the CR5 model include the SuperStand with Mouse Shelf model (SS-MS) and SuperStand with Mouse Shelf and Hood model (SS-MS-H). Both SuperStand models have all the features of the CR5 but also have a 12" x 18" Polyethylene Tray for extra strength, and a swing-out Mouse Shelf and/or Hood to protect you laptop from the elements or excessive lighting.
All InsTands include a sturdy tripod, a tray that fits all laptops and a convenient leatherette carry bag.
Note: The higher minimum 27" height of the CR5 Stand means that those 5'8" or less in height will find that they must reach up to the keyboard at the lowest setting if working from a sitting position. However, for standing purposes this stand works very well for this group.
Provides a More Suitable Worksurface than the Lap
- Laptops were designed to be compact and portable. However, they were never designed with ergonomics in mind. Although users can fit a laptop on their lap, a laptop should not be used on the lap. This is due not only to the poor positioning of the screen but also because the heat generated from the laptop will build up if the cooling vent is blocked, causing comfort issues or perhaps even burns to the legs. For any of these reasons, it is better for the laptop to have its own dedicated stand or platform.
Adjustable Height Range
- For sitting applications, the CR5 provides ample height-range adjustability - from 27" to 54" off the floor. This ensures that individuals always have the option of positioning their laptop to an optimum height.
Portable and Compact
- Since laptops themselves are compact and portable by design, it follows that the stand on which a laptop is placed should also be compact and portable, especially when work is being performed in multiple locations. The CR5 can easily be folded and stored when it needs to be transported, even coming with its own carry bag. Although the CR5 is not as lightweight or compact as the CR1 and CR3 models, it still folds down to just 24" in length and the included carry bag still makes transport simple.
Stable and Durable
- The heavy-duty weight of the CR5 (8 lbs) actually contributes to the stability of the stand, while the heavy steel construction adds to its durability.
Optimally Positions Laptop Screen and Separate Keyboard
- On laptops, the screen and built-in keyboard are joined at the hinge, making either typing or looking at the screen awkward and potentially injurious over long periods of usage. If an ergonomic workstation is the goal, the separate monitor or a separate keyboard is a necessity, so that either of these can be better positioned relative to the other. In the case of the CR5, getting a secondary compact keyboard is the easiest and most affordable option. The CSK-CT1 SideKick Tray accessory attaches to the CR5 stand below the upper laptop tray, providing a surface suitable for placement of a compact keyboard. By positioning the keyboard independently the screen can be positioned as high as possible for optimum viewing and the keyboard lowered to a suitably neutral ergonomic position. Learn More About the Effects of Incorrect Monitor Position and Palmar Flexion When Worksurface is too High
. This will ensure better ergonomics when using a laptop for longer periods of time.
- Adjustable Height Range: The 27" to 54" range of the telescoping tripod column is sufficient to ensure correct worksurface height for most sitting applications.
- Holds Most Laptop Sizes: The 11" by 13" CT4 tray that comes with the CR5 is ideally sized to hold most laptops, even if they are slightly larger in width. As long as the laptop is centered where the tripod attaches to the tray, the center of balance will help keep the laptop stable on the stand. This also allows the tray to remain compact and portable.
- Prevents Laptop from Slipping: Some people might be concerned that their laptop will slip and fall off the tray, especially if the stand is bumped and tipped slightly in one direction. The SureGrip pad on every Instand tray prevents just such accidents from happening, as the non-slip surface provides sufficient resistance against slippage when the full weight of the laptop presses down on it. There is no additional need for clumsy mechanical attachments, gluing, taping, etc.
- Quick and Easy Setup: With just two basic components, i.e. the height-adjustable foldable tripod and removable tray, setup time is minimal. Setup is as easy as unfolding the tripod feet and attaching the tray by spinning it onto the head of the tripod. Height adjustment is just as easy; simply loosen the release knob, raise or lower the pole to the ideal height, and retighten.
- Mobile Option: For applications where mobility is important, such as in a hospital where movement from room to room is required, the optional 3" diameter industrial casters in the Wheelkit Accessory make rolling the CR5 effortless. The large diameter casters also ensure that the stand is easily able to roll over ledges or uneven surfaces.
- Durable Construction: Made of sturdy steel with a beautiful polished-chrome finish, the CR5 is sturdy and durable enough to last for years without compromising the safety of laptops.
- Compact and Portable: The simple design of the CR5 means that disassembling the tray from the tripod, folding it up, and placing it in its carry bag can be done in seconds. No detailed instructions are necessary.
- Optional Add-on Accessories: There are several optional accessories to make the CR5 even more versatile and configurable, including other tray sizes beside the included 11" x 13" tray, a palm rest accessory for supporting palms while typing on the laptop keyboard, and the SideKick with Tray, allowing a secondary compact keyboard to be attached to the tripod for better ergonomic benefits. Also, there is a caster wheel set for those who want to be able to roll the stand into position instead of picking it up and moving it.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - lowered adjustment
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - with wheels added
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - tripod without and with wheels
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - with supertray and hood
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - supertray with sliding mouse platform
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - hood unfolded and folded
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - 11" x 13" CT4 tray (aluminum)
InsTand Heavy-duty Laptop Stand - 12" x 18" SuperStand tray (polyethylene)
CR5:13" (33.0 cm)
SS:18" (45.7 cm)
- Depth (front to back) of tray:
CR5:11" (27.9 cm)
SS:12" (30.5 cm)
27.0" (68.6 cm) (min)
54.0" (137.2 cm) (max)
- Weight: 8 lbs (3.63 kg)
- Folded Dimensions: 3.5" (8.9 cm) x 24" (61.0cm)
Tripod: Highly polished chrome plated steel
SuperStand: Polyethylene tray
Carry bag: Leatherette
- Warranty: Manufacturer Direct
- Package Contents: Tripod Stand, Laptop Shelf, Carry Case
- Although a laptop stand is generally only used for short periods that doesn't mean that ergonomics are unimportant. Repetitive strain issues generally develop over a period of time, usually as a result of poor ergonomic placement of devices. This makes it very important that you try to optimize your ergonomics even when use is for short periods.
- The CR5 stand is capable of providing a suitable sitting keyboard height for individuals ranging from around 5'9" to well over 6' (those shorter than this will have to reach up to meet the 27" minimum height). For standing purposes it will work well for individuals of virtually any average height as the laptop tray can be positioned from 27" to 54". If the laptop is placed directly on the tray and the height adjusted to correctly position the keyboard for optimum ergonomics this will leave the monitor well below your appropriate viewing height. The result will be that your neck will be bent at all times in order to see what is on the screen. The taller you are the greater the degree of bend that will be required. If you attempt to address this by raising the stand you will be able to reduce the bend in your neck by a limited amount but in doing so will move the hands and forearms away from their optimal ergonomic position. These concerns can to a great extent be addressed by adding the SideKick Tray accessory (CSK-CT1) and employing a compact keyboard. This will let you elevate the monitor as high as possible to improve the viewing position and then place your keyboard at a height that is optimal for your hands and forearms. While it may not be possible for you to achieve the "ideal" workstation this will certainly be much more suitable than trying to rely on "making do" with positioning that is less-than-optimal for both screen and keyboard height. If you are taller you will find that although you will be able to achieve an optimum keyboard height by adding the Side Tray accessory and using a separate compact keyboard, the screen will still be lower than optimum. This is pretty much unavoidable with a portable laptop stand solution.
- Regardless of how you use your CR5 Laptop Stand, try to limit your usage to shorter periods unless you have been able to achieve optimum screen and keyboard height. If you are using it without the keyboard tray accessory make a point of looking up and away from the screen on a regular basis to provide your neck muscles a chance to recover. Extended periods spent with your neck hunched to view the screen can greatly increase the risk of developing neck-related issues, and at the least will most likely leave you with neck tension and shoulder
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|CR5|| Heavy duty model, includes CT4 tray (11" x 13")|
|SS|| Heavy duty SuperStand model|
|SS-MS|| Heavy duty Super Stand model with Mouse Shelf (includes Super Tray and steel extension pole)|
|SS-MS-H|| Heavy duty Super Stand model with Mouse Shelf and Hood (includes Super Tray and steel extension pole)|
|CSK-CT1|| SideKick Mount with 9.625" x 12" CT1 Tray|
|STR|| Palm rest|
|WKIT|| Wheel Kit|
|CR5-EXT|| Carliss Industries Instand extension pole accessory for CR-5.|