Page last updated: Thu, 14-Nov-2019 14:35:16
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Orbitrack Control Ringby Pretorian
| Accessories |
The Orbitrack Control Ring from Pretorian provides users who have very limited range of movement or strength with a simple, almost effortless, means to perform cursor movement and click control.
The Orbitrack employs a touch-activated surface similar to a touchpad but without the necessity of continuous finger movement to 'steer' the cursor.
Cursor direction is determined by where a finger is placed in relation to a central point in the touch ring. Once contact is made the cursor will begin slowly moving in the desired direction, gradually increasing the selected maximum rate of speed (4 selectable speed options are available). The cursor will continue to travel as long as the finger remains in contact - no further movement is required until a change of direction is desired. Direction change is accomplished by moving the finger to a new location on the control ring. This can be accomplished by breaking contact with the control ring surface and repositioning the finger to steer the cursor in the new direction or by sliding the finger to the new location. Users will vary in their ability to use the second option and may opt for the first method until they learn to better control the movement.
Requiring no hand or wrist movement, the Orbitrack represents a significant advance in computer input technology and is suitable for all computer users, particularly children and those with motor skill difficulties and movement impairment.
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that virtually all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- The Orbitrack Control Ring is a stationary mousing device. Simply touching the device accomplishes cursor movement and command activation. Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder, especially for users with limited range of motion or strength, can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. Since many users who can benefit from the Orbitrack features already have issues in these areas any reduction of the amount or degree of movement is of benefit. The housing of the Orbitrack can also be oriented to accommodate the specific needs or movement restrictions of a user and the control ring 'taught' which way is up. Allowing the user to keep the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- The simple touch cursor control eliminates any opportunity for a user to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. Since the Orbitrack requires only the slightest contact this risk factor is eliminated.Learn More About Static Grip Force
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- The Orbitrack Control Ring features an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. Left and Right button functions can be switched 'onboard'. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows the user to reduce the strain on the muscles of the dominant side.
Hardwired Drag Lock Feature Reduces Finger Fatigue
- The hard-wired drag-lock feature allows users to activate drag-lock by a simple touch. This eliminates the need to hold down a button while dragging the selected item on the computer screen and provides simplified access to the commonly used click-and-drag actions.
One-Touch Double Click Access
- Many users face physical limitations which make performing the common Double Click command virtually impossible. By programming this to a dedicated touch zone the Orbitrack greatly enhances accessibility for these users.
- The low profile, lightly sloped case assists users in achieving and maintaining a neutral alignment in their wrist, avoid the potentially damaging effects of an upward angled wrist.
Learn More About Wrist Extension
- Unique Cursor Control Technology: The "finger placement" method of cursor control is an innovative means of providing simplified computer access to users with strength and mobility limitations. With the control ring technology movement is reduced to a minimum and since the ring is touch sensitive and doesn't rely on pressure it requires only the slightest degree of effort to accomplish the chosen actions.
- Soft Start for Precise Cursor Control: The "soft start" feature on the cursor movement ensures that users can achieve a high degree of accuracy. The slow movement lets users determine whether the cursor will be travelling in the correct trajectory and to correct their contact position as needed before the cursor speed accelerates. It also means that a user can maintain optimum cursor speed until the cursor is near the intended target, then break contact and restart movement at the slower pace for final targeting.
- Zero Pressure Requirement: Since all primary operations rely purely on 'contact' and not pressure users with very limited strength or who have an inability to grip or click are able to achieve primary functionality with minimal effort.
- Sealed Solid State Construction for Reliability: Since there are no moving parts to wear or be damaged the Orbitrack is exceptionally reliable. The surface is also sealed to protect against accidental exposure to potentially damaging liquids or other contaminants.
- Ergonomic Design: The low profile, lightly sloped case assists users in achieving a neutral alignment in their wrist, avoiding the potential damage that can be cause by wrist extension.
- Integrated Palm/Handrest: The large surface provides a space for users to rest the hand. Since only the control ring and the surrounding buttons are touch-sensitive there is no concern of accidental activation, users can permit their hand to fully relax.
- Cursor Speed Control: The Orbitrack is equipped with a cursor speed control switch that permits users to cycle through 4 cursor speed settings. This lets them choose the maximum speed with best serves their needs and is changeable at any time.
- Large Footprint for Maximum Stability: All Pretorian products are designed to ensure stability. The large footprint housing ensures that the devices are not easily knocked off of the surface on which they are situated.
- Symmetrical Design: The housing of the Orbitrack provides users with the freedom to easily switch between right or left users. Left and Right click buttons can easily be switched without the need of changing computer settings
- Left to Right Switchable: On board programming lets users exchange Left and Right Click functions with no need to access or modify operating system settings.
- Colour Coded Touch Surfaces: All command (Left/Right Click, Drag Lock and Double Click) surfaces are clearly identified by bright primary colours for easy location and identification.
- Re-Orienting Function: Users may have limited range of movement which may require that the Orbitrack be positioned at an angle. For this reason the Orbitrack control ring can be "taught" to orient itself to any orientation. By doing so users are able to determine what "UP" is and "teach" the Orbitrack to calculate all future control ring movement based on this new orientation. This function is performed 'onboard' with no need for driver support.
- External Switch Support: Two 1/8" mini phono plug sockets provide for the attachment of external left and right click buttons for users who may have trouble targeting the inset buttons. When external switches are attached the onboard Left and Right Click zones are deactivated. Check out our selection of switches that can be used with the Orbitrack.
- Double Click and Latching Drag Lock: Accomplishing a double-click action is nearly impossible for users with any kind of motor skills limitation. Being able to perform this with a simple touch is of major benefit for these users. For the same reason, holding down a button for dragging while moving the cursor is just as frustrating. The latching drag locks on until the touch surface is activated a second time to release the latch. This releases the user to focus on the necessary cursor movement, be it selecting text or simply moving something on the screen.
- Audible and Visual Indicators: A mutable buzzer apprises of a selection change when moving between functions and a multi-coloured LED serves to notify of the currently active mode.
- Clearly Identifiable High Visibility Controls: The large command touch activation zones on the Orbitrack feature primary colours with white legends in order to meet the needs of a wide range of users, including those who may have limited vision and may not be able to discern the legending.
- Resettable Memory: The Orbitrack has a resettable Memory which permits the reassignment of Left and Right Clicks, activation or deactivation of audible alert signals and the Smart Acceleration option.
- Smart Acceleration: When activated the Smart Acceleration option determines the optimum cursor acceleration by reference to your previous cursor operations.
- PS/2 and USB 'Plug and Play' installation: Installation is a breeze. Simply connect the USB and the joystick will automatically install. If a PS/2 connection is required just attach the adapter, plug it in and start/restart the computer.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Orbitrack Control Ring
Orbitrack Control Ring
Orbitrack Control - Speed Control and Switch Jacks
- Pretorian Orbitrack User Manual: PDF
Width : 5.5"
- (at front) | 1"
- (at back) | 2"
- Weight: 12.8 oz (360 gr)
- Cord Length: 82" (2.1 m)
To CPU: USB or PS/2 (USB to PS/2 adapter included)
To Switches: 2 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Mini-phono Jacks
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
- Warranty: 2 years. For use in domestic, educational, commercial, and light industrial applications. Use in other applications voids the warranty.
- Package Contents: Orbitrack Control Ring, User Guide, USB to PS/2 Adapter
- Using the Orbitrack will come quickly to most users. With the Soft-Start cursor movement the cursor will not "jump" quickly and direction can easily be changed before moving too far in the wrong direction.
- Select the appropriate orientation and maximum speed setting that best serve your use. There is no specific setting or orientation which is best.
- Load Balance Your Use. If you are able, take advantage of the freedom of an ambidextrous mousing device to switch between left and right handed use. Make a point of using it with your non-dominant hand. Not only is this good for your dominant hand, which gets a break from working, it can slowly build dexterity and endurance which your non-dominant hand generally does not have. As a bonus, it is also a way of stimulating the other half of your brain, which is never a bad idea. The n-ABLER joystick permits "onboard" switching of Left and Right button functions to better accommodate load balancing.
- Take Regular Breaks. If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers or hand, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break by switching to a different device or by swapping to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Some users find that the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing them through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Employ the one-touch Double Click and Drag-Lock buttons to optimize the value of the Orbitouch.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|ORB|| Orbitrack Control Ring|