Page last updated: Fri, 16-Aug-2019 15:26:45
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Optima Joystickby Pretorian
| Accessories |
The Optima Joystick from Pretorian is designed to address the needs of computer users who may have limited hand control or strength, motor skill difficulties, poor hand-eye coordination, and lack of manual dexterity. This functionality is packaged in a heavy duty housing designed to survive heavy use. High contrast coloured buttons and control surfaces assist users in determining position and function of the controls.
The Optima Joystick requires just 0.5 Newtons of force for cursor control and has single-click controls for left click, right click, and drag lock functions. The joystick can be outfitted with the standard joystick, a T-Bar handle, or a soft-grip ball. Dual mini-phono jacks also permit the attachment of a variety of external switches to provide users with easier access to the Left and Right click functions.
The design of the Optima Joystick offers precision control and requires only minimal hand movement or force. The symmetrical design enables users to work with either hand without having to angle the wrist, and the unit can also be configured for left-handed operation. Its large, integrated hand support/palm rest makes work posture more relaxed and less strained.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- The Optima Joystick is a stationary mousing device. Moving the joystick with the hand or fingers moves the cursor on the screen but the device itself does not move. Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. Many users who can benefit from the Optima Joystick features already have issues in these areas so any reduction of the amount or degree of movement is of benefit. The Optima Joystick design also allows the user to keep the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- The Optima Joysticks requires just 0.5 Newtons of force to activate the cursor. The three control surface options (Joystick, T-Bar, and Ball) mean that the n-ABLER Joystick can be effective in countering the tendency a user may have to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. The three options also ensure that users with strength and grip issues can equip the n-ABLER Joystick with a grip that is best suited to their needs. Learn More About Static Grip Force
Assists in Button Access
- The Optima Joystick offers inset buttons surrounding the central 'stick'. This design assists users with limited motor control in targeting the buttons as well as having the accompanying effect of reducing the risk of accidental button activation.
Hardwired Drag Lock Feature Reduces Finger Fatigue
- The hard-wired drag-lock feature allows users to activate drag-lock by a simple click. This eliminates the need to hold down the button while dragging the selected item on the computer screen. This greatly simplifies using applications that require significant click-and-drag actions.
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- The Optima Joystick feature an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows the user to reduce the strain on the muscles of the dominant side. Left and Right button functions can be switched by changing mouse parameters in the computer operating system or control panel.
- Ergonomic Design: Pretorian products are designed with the user in mind, providing appropriate button positioning, ease of control and necessary hand support for all-round ergonomic benefit.
- Light-Touch Joystick: The joystick on the Optima Trackball requires just 0.5 Newtons of force for movement, making it idea for users with strength and mobility limitations. Users who experience tremors or muscle spasms or who have more aggressive movements would generally benefit from the n-ABLER Joystick or the n-ABLER PRO Joystick, both of which offer features designed to improve access for users limited by these conditions.
- Cursor Speed Control: The Optima Joystick permits users to cycle through 4 cursor speed settings. This lets them choose the speed with best serves their needs and is changeable at any time. An audible alert indicates when the speed setting function is activated and deactivated.
- Easy Action, Soft-Start Cursor Control: The joystick on the Optima Joystick provides users with excellent resistance feedback sufficient to ensure that users cannot accidentally activate the cursor movement. Minor displacement of the joystick will move the cursor very slowly, with speed increasing to the maximum as the joystick is moved further off-centre.
- Rugged Construction: Pretorian products are designed with the expectation that they may be subjected to less than ideal conditions. As a result their construction is intended to accept this type of usage without failure.
- High Visibility Controls: The Optima Joystick features large brightly coloured high-contrast buttons and control handles which act as visual aids to assist users who have vision or comprehension difficulties.
- Assisted Access Buttons: All buttons are mounted sub-flush to prevent accidental activation. This positioning also serves as an aid to guide fingers directly to the buttons. This feature, combined with the wide positioning between buttons, greatly reduces the potential for accidental activation.
- Large Footprint for Maximum Stability: All Pretorian products are designed to ensure stability. The large footprint of the housing ensures that the devices are not easily knocked off of the surface on which they are situated.
- Symmetrical Design: The housing of the Optima Joystick provides users with the freedom to easily switch between right or left users. Left and Right click functions can be reassigned through the computer operating system.
- Integral Wrist Support: The Joystick offers a large surface on which to rest the heel of the hand. This means that the wrist can be maintained in a neutral position, reducing the risk of wrist extension and also permitting users to relax and allow the wrist to rest.
- External Switch Support: Two 1/8" mini phono plug sockets provide for the attachment of external left and right click buttons for users who may have trouble targeting the inset buttons. Check out our selection of switches that can be used with the Optima Joystick.
- Latching Drag Lock: The latching drag locks on until the button is activated a second time to release the latch. This releases the user to focus on the necessary cursor movement, be it selecting text or simply moving something on the screen.
- PS/2 and USB 'Plug and Play' installation: Installation is a breeze. Simply connect the USB and the joystick will automatically install. If a PS/2 connection is required just attach the adapter, plug it in and start/restart the computer.
- Wired Reliability: The Pretorian Optima Joystick employs a wired USB connection which eliminates the potential for wireless to 'drop out' at a crucial moment. It also ensures the fastest communication - eliminating any potential for lag from wireless.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
- Case Dimensions:
Width: 4" (10.2 cm)
Depth (front to back): 7.1" (18.0 cm)
- (front of casing): 1.0" (2.6 cm)
- Height (rear of casing): 2.4" (6.2 cm)
- Overall Height with Optional Controls:
Joystick: 4.2" (10.7
Ball: 5.7" (14.5 cm)
T-Bar: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
- Elevation of Controls (from casing to top):
Joystick: 2.1" (5.4 cm)
T-Bar: 2.5" (6.3 cm)
Ball: 3.5" (9.0 cm)
- Control Dimensions:
Joystick diameter: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
Ball: 2.4" (6.2 cm)
T-Bar: Width - 2.3" (5.9 cm), Depth - 0.7" (1.7 cm)
- Diameter of Buttons: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
- Weight (base unit only): 13.5 oz (384 g)
- Cord Length: 55" (1.4 m)
Left Button: Red
Middle Button: Blue
Right Button: Yellow
To CPU: USB or PS/2 (USB to PS/2 adapter included)
To Optional Switches: 2 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Mini-phono Jacks
- Compatibility: PC, Mac, Chromebook
- Warranty: 2 years. For use in domestic, educational, commercial, and light industrial applications. Use in other applications voids the warranty.
- Package Contents: Optima Joystick, T-Bar and Ball Grips, USB to PS/2 adapter, User Guide
- Using a joystick is a natural movement for most users since the cursor moves in response to the direction the joystick is moved. With the Soft-Start cursor movement the cursor will not 'jump' quickly and direction can easily be changed before moving too far in the wrong direction.
- Select the Control handle that best meets your needs. Some users will prefer the full grip of the Ball to optimize their control while other will prefer the traditional Joystick or the T-Bar handle. The option which provides the greatest level of control is most probably the best option as it will generally also generate the least amount of stress.
- Load Balance Your Use: If you are able, take advantage of the freedom of an ambidextrous mousing device to switch between left and right handed use. Make a point of using it with your non-dominant hand. Not only is this good for your dominant hand, which gets a break from working, it can slowly build dexterity and endurance which your non-dominant hand generally does not have. As a bonus, it is also a way of stimulating the other half of your brain, which is never a bad idea. Switching of Left and Right button functions can be easily accomplished through the operating system settings to better accommodate load balancing.
- Take Regular Breaks: If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers or hand, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break by switching to a different device or by swapping to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Some users find that the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing them through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Remember to employ the Drag-Lock feature when when performing text selection or any drag-and-drop functions.
- If you experience tremors or muscle spasms you may be interested in the n-ABLER Joystick or the n-ABLER PRO Joystick. These both offer features designed to improve access for users limited by these conditions. The joysticks on the n-ABLER Joystick Models also offer a higher resistance than those on the Optima, OptimaX, or SimplyWorks trackballs.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|OAJ|| Optima Joystick|