Page last updated: Fri, 17-May-2019 15:20:40
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
| Usage Tips Accessories |
The OrthoMouse from Orthovia is designed to put your hand in the 'position of function'. When you flex your fingers (i.e. curling your fingers into a ball) you are using the flexor muscles in your hand. When you open your hand (extending your fingers to a straight position) you are using your extensor muscles. The position of function is the point of balance between these two sets of muscles. This design also enhances the tactility of the mouse by using the extra sensitivity in your fingertips to provide maximum precision and accuracy.
The sensor is near the 'top' or tip of the mouse, directly below your fingertips, making the act of targeting and positioning the cursor a direct extension of your fingers (much like writing).
In order to accommodate the various hand sizes, the OrthoMouse comes with several slide-on attachments at the base and top of the mouse to accommodate different hand sizes and methods of use. This ensures an increased sense of tactility and confidence in cursor positioning, resulting in a very small learning curve. This mouse is ideally suited for anyone who is seeking a sense of precision and high tactile feedback including graphics designers and gamers.
Now available in Wireless (see detailed specifications for further details).
Note: Please note that the OrthoMouse replaces the traditional Scroll Wheel with thumb-operated buttons to create a 3-speed scrolling system. Please call for more details on this function.
Keeps hand relaxed
- By maintaining the hand's natural 'position of function', the Orthomouse helps relax the hand, even when mousing, so that hand injuries can be avoid by minimizing stresses due to overextending the finger muscles and excessive pronation/supination.
Ensures accuracy and precision while navigating cursor
- When the thumb is allowed to be opposed to the fingers, the hand is better able to take advantage of enhanced control over the mouse without excessively 'gripping' the mouse at the sides. The normal positioning of the hand should not overstress the hand, as it affords control to the hand similar to writing.
Balanced Flexion of the Fingers
- By maintaining the hand's natural 'position of function', the Orthomouse can help to relax the hand, especially with respect to generating left and right mouse clicks, by minimizing stresses due to overextending the finger muscles or excessive pronation/supination.
- Six Possible Configurations of Mouse Shape: Not all hands are alike. The OrthoMouse comes with multiple interchangeable adapters. These enable users to configure the OrthoMouse to best suit their overall hand size and finger length.
- Unique Design for Fingers and Thumb: The OrthoMouse is designed so that it supports the hand and fingers evenly while they adopt the correct and innocuous position - the 'Position of Function' during the use of the OrthoMouse. Your hand works and rests (between periods of activity) in the 'Position of Function'. The thumb remains in opposition to the other
fingers at all times, which is the main distinguishing characteristic of the human hand. John Napier, states: "Perhaps the most important movement of the human hand is opposition". It allows control, tactility and precision, since the fingers assume a position very similar to the one used during writing.
- Unique Scroll Functionality: The OrthoMouse replaces the traditional scroll wheel with a unique thumb operated 3-speed scrolling system. This is comprised of 3 buttons which perform the usual Up, Down, or Middle Click (Auto Scroll). Up and Down scroll speed is determined by single, double or triple clicks of the appropriate button. The teardrop shaped middle button activates the Scroll Lock in the same manner as does clicking on most scroll wheels.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
OrthoMouse: correct usage
OrthoMouse: correct usage (side view)
OrthoMouse: with extenders (1)
OrthoMouse: with extenders (2)
- Width: 3.23" (8.2 cm)
- Depth (front to back): Short extender:
4.45" (11.3 cm)
4.76" (12.1 cm)
5.35" (13.6 cm)
- Height: 2.56" (6.5 cm)
- Cable Length/Wireless Range: 70.9" (1.8 m) (wired)
- Optical sensor: 1000 DPI (wired)
800, 1200, & 1600 DPI (wireless)
- Coating: Engineering plastic
- Compatibility: PC: 98, ME, 2000, XP,
Mac: Mac OS 8.6 - 9.X,
Mac OS X (10.1.x or
Linux: Kernal 2.4 (or
- Interface: USB
- Warranty: 1 year
- Battery Life (wireless only): under average use (8 hour days) Approximately 180 Days
- Sleep Mode (wireless only): after 3 seconds of inactivity
- On/Off Switch (wireless only): On/Off switch for battery conservation
- Wireless Model (with batteries installed): 150 - 170 grams (depending on which adapters are used)
- Wired Model: 105 - 123 grams (depending on which adapters are used)
Cord Weight (40 grams) is additional
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|OM-BLK|| OrthoMouse, Black, Corded, 800 dpi|
|OM-101|| OrthoMouse, Black, Wireless|
|OM-0999|| OrthoMouse, Black, Corded, 1000 dpi|