| Additional Resources |
The SmartNav4 from NaturalPoint provides users with a hands-free means of cursor control. The high resolution tracking system employs a reflective surface to monitor head movement which is then translated into corresponding cursor movement on the screen. The reflective marker can also be located on other extremities where the need exists or where it may be deemed more practical.
The SmartNav provides precise cursor control through simple head movement allowing the hands of the user to remain on their keyboard, or at their sides. Both models include a cable which support the attachment of either one or two external switches which can then perform Single or Right Click Functions in conjunction with the NaturalPoint software. The AT model provides the additional features of an on-screen keyboard and a "dwell-clicking" option (hover on a point for an adjustable length of time and the system will automatically generate a click).
The "zero force" requirements of the SmartNav and the limited range of movement required to accomplish cursor movement also make it well-suited for users with strength limitations and mobility restrictions.
To see examples of switches which can be used with the SmartNav 4, check out our Switches category.
Reduces Strain & Load on Wrist
- The SmartNav 4 eliminates the need for a hand-held mouse, thus relieving your wrist of the overuse that contributes to conditions such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tendonitis, Repetitive Strain Injury, and other wrist strain related problems.
Can Reduce "Clicking Load" on Fingers
- The SmartNav 4 offers two switch input jacks (via a splitter cable) to allow the user their choice of switches
for left and right clicking, or any other device plugged into the computer (e.g. other mice, etc.). The AT Model, in addition to the switch input jacks, features "Dwell Click" software that allows the user to generate any type of click simply by pausing on a target for a configurable length of time.
Minimizes Both Amount and Degree of Movement
- Users with strength and/or mobility limitations can achieve full computer access and functionality without the excessive movement and potentially exhausting clicking of a traditional mouse. By using the Virtual Keyboard included with the AT model even data entry becomes fully accessible.
- Smooth Cursor Movement: The cursor position is updated at 120 samples per second, resulting in precise cursor placement with real time response.
- High Accuracy: A high resolution imager allows for pixel accurate pointing and control that feels like a laser pointer.
- Minimal Movement Required: The movement required to operate the SmartNav 4 is minimal when compared to hand-held mice or even touchpads: a quarter-inch movement of the head is sufficient to move the cursor across the entire monitor screen. Consequently, the heavy burden on the wrist is not simply transferred to another part of your body to cause similar problems, but is moved to a part of the body -the head- where the natural movement of the head is utilized without stressing neck muscles. After all, it is intuitive for a user to move their head in the direction of the cursor.
- Adjustable for Varying Lighting Conditions: Sunlight resistance and tracking technology allow the system to be used in almost any lighting environment, sunlight is not a problem.
- Powerful Software: The SmartNav software allows for full configuration and adaptability of the device.
- Dwell Clicking (SmartNav 4 AT): Dwell Clicking (SmartNav 4 AT) | The user can left click, double click, drag, right click, and more - with the "dwell click bar" software application.Click here for more information on this application.
- Virtual Keyboard (SmartNav 4 AT): Using the Virtual Keyboard Software with the AT version the user can use the SmartNav on-screen cursor/pointer to enter data without a physical keyboard.
- Switch Input (SmartNav 4 AT and EG): The user can plug a click switch or a footswitch directly into the back of the SmartNav. Using the Y Breakout Cable (included), the user can plug in separate switches for both left and right clicking. The Accessories section provides links to both standard switches as well as foot-operated switch options.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
SmartNav 4 - Front View
SmartNav 4 - Side View
SmartNav 4 - Back View
SmartNav 4 with USB Cable and Splitter Cable for Optional External Switches
SmartNav 4 Provides Hands-free Mousing
- Lens Field of View: 40°
- Sample Rate (cursor update rate): 100 FPS
- Resolution (number of pixels): 1280 x 480
- Width of Unit (without base): 2.4" (6.1 cm)
- Depth of Unit (without base): 0.9" (2.3 cm)
- Height of Unit (without base): 1.6" (4.1 cm)
- Weight of Unit (without cable): 2.2 oz (62 grams)
- Flat Panel Monitor Attachment: Specially designed base
- Sunlight Resistance: Enhanced
- Maximum Working Range: 1' to 6' (30.5 cm to183 cm)
- External Power Required: None (1.7 W via USB)
- USB Cable Length: 6' (183 cm)
- Compatibility: Windows 98 SE, ME, 2000,XP, Vista (32 & 64-bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit), Windows X
- Interface: USB 1.1 or 2.0
- Warranty: 1 year - Manufacturer Direct
- Package Contents:
- SmartNav 4 (EG or AT unit)
- 26 reflective dots (20 circles with 1/3" diameter, 6 squares 1/2" a side)
- 6' USB cable
- Y Breakout Cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Software CD
- Electronic Manual
- Phone Support: Standard for EG model; Premium for AT model
- Use the SmartNav software to fine-tune your movement requirements. Different users will have different capabilities or limitations. The software permits users to customize the movement to their work requirements or personal needs.
- When using the SmartNav 4 focus on "natural" movement. If you permit yourself to RELAX while using it you will experience improved control and will find that the usage becomes more natural. On the flip side, if you try to "control" the cursor you will tend to tense up, actually resulting in less cursor control and stress and strain to the muscles of the neck. Neck tension will tighten your shoulders and most likely result in both neck and shoulder pain.
- When using the SmartNav 4 be careful to listen to your body. If you find that your shoulders and neck are tiring - take a break! As with any other devices, there is always the potential for overuse to develop into a Repetitive Strain Injury so care needs to be taken to ensure that tiredness, discomfort, or pain are addressed before reaching the point of a full RSI.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|SN4-EG|| SmartNav 4|
|SN4-AT|| SmartNav 4 with Dwell Click Feature and Virtual Keyboard Software|
|HSNOTE|| Looking for external switches for input with your SmartNav4? View the various switch options here.|
|58060|| Cap Switch|
|100-SPBK|| Black model|
|FS007MP|| Single Pedal Accessory for Savant Elite2|
|SN-Dots|| NaturalPoint Dots Accessory, 2 sheets of reflective dots, 26 dots per sheet|
Note: If you have previously purchased a SmartNav from us with proof of serial number, we will offer these dots at $10 instead of regular price.
|SN-RM|| NaturalPoint Raw Material Accessory, 12 inches long by 1 inch wide strip of reflective material|