| Additional Resources Accessories |
The Mini Quiet Pro keyboard by Matias is a high-performance compact keyboard for desktop (i.e. non-portable) applications. Featuring a standard layout of all but a couple of keys and standard key spacing, the Mini Quiet Pro eliminates two issues found in many compact keyboards. First, the standard spacing and layout significantly flatten any learning curve, all but guaranteeing rapid adaptation to the compact design. Second, an embedded numeric keypad provides full functionality while still preserving the clear ergonomic benefit of a reduced reach for the mouse.
The Matias Mini Quiet Pro features mechanical keyswitches that use Matias Quiet Click technology. These keyswitches provide superior tactile feedback and are high-performance, accommodating the faster typing speeds associated with mechanical keyboards but without the typical "click - clack" sound. These mechanical keyswitches are durable and rated at 50 million activations. The keys have a full travel distance of 3.5 mm, and sculpted (i.e. concave) keycap tops to ensure keying accuracy. The keycap legends are laser etched and will not wear off even with intense use.
Bonus features include a 3-port high-speed USB 2.0 hub, and Anti-Ghosting circuitry that accommodates the highest typing speeds without the dropping of characters that can occur with less-quality keyboards.
Available in both English and French Bilingual Layouts, the Mini Quiet Pro is available only for PC. Similar keyboards for the Mac include the Laptop Pro Keyboard (Bluetooth) with Mac-friendly function keys, or the corded Mini Tactile Pro. The Programmable Ergo Pro Keyboard offers the additional ergonomic benefits of a split keyboard.
Reduces Risk of Shoulder, Elbow and Wrist Strain
- Regular size keyboards with integrated numeric keypads on the right make reaching for the mouse on the right-hand side an ergonomic risk factor. The further the reach for the mouse (from the dominant hand home row, over the navigation keys, over the numeric keypad), the greater the risk of injuries to the arm and shoulder due to overreaching. The Mini Quiet Pro eliminates this potential risk factor by eliminating the built-in numeric keypad and replacing it with an "embedded" numeric keypad.
Reduces the Potential for Wrist Extension
- The Mini Quiet Pro features a profile that incorporates a slight negative inclination on the keycaps of the first 3 rows of the keyboard, with the upper 3 rows being just slightly higher with a very nominal positive inclination to facilitate easier access. This design lets the wrists be maintained in a flat neutral position while performing the majority of work. This distinguishes the Mini Quiet Pro from most keyboards which have a clearly positive profile over the entire layout, resulting in the function row being significantly higher than the bottom row on the keyboard (even when the legs at the back are not deployed).
Regardless of the devices in use, wrist extension cannot be prevented if the work surface is either too high, or too low. Learn More About Improper Work Surface Height.
Reduces Jarring Impact on the Fingers
- Mechanical keyswitches do not need to strike the bottom of the keyboard to generate the keystroke. This feature, especially in combination with the full key travel distance (3.5 mm) and tactile feedback (indicating the point at which the keystroke has been actuated) means that individuals soon learn to use a lighter touch on a mechanical keyswitch than they would on a membrane or a scissor switch key. The result is often a considerable reduction in the amount of pain and fatigue experienced in the hands and fingers.
Improves Typing Speed and Accuracy
- Slightly concave key caps help keep the fingers oriented on the home row, and enhance keying accuracy; tactile feedback when the keystroke is actuated discourages from pressing a key down more than it needs to be, allowing a faster transition from key to key.
- Matias Quiet Click Mechanical Keyswitches: Custom-engineered by Matias, these durable mechanical keyswitches are quiet enough to use in an office environment, and are almost as quiet as conventional rubber dome keyboards. However, they still provide the tactility and high performance demanded by experienced, proficient typists.
- Full Size Sculpted Keycaps with Standard Spacing and 3.5mm Key Travel Distance: Standard sized sculpted (concave) keycaps, standard key pitch (the spacing between key caps) and 3.5 mm key travel (how far the key moves up and down) results in no learning curve when transferring keyboarding skills to this keyboard. On most compact keyboards, the function row (F1-F12), directional arrow, and modifier keys (ALT/CTRL/SHIFT) are usually narrower than standard resulting in keying errors and frustration. This is not the case on this keyboard where all 81 standard keys preserve all touch typing skills previously acquired.
- Compact Footprint: At just 13.26" wide, the Mini Quiet Pro keyboard presents a very small footprint, greatly reduced reaching to the mouse zone.
- Effectively Neutral Profile: The effectively neutral profile ensures that the alpha rows are not positively inclined, and the numeric and function row is only nominally higher. This distinguishes the Mini Quiet Pro from most keyboards which have a clearly positive profile resulting in the function row being significantly higher than the bottom row on the keyboard (even when the legs at the back are not deployed).
- Concave Arc Keycap Inclination: The inclination of the keycap tops follows a very shallow "concave" arc, improving tactility for the letter rows by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps, and reducing reach for the upper rows (number and function row).
- N-Key Rollover (Anti-Ghosting Circuitry): Unlike most keyboards, this feature allows the fastest typists to work without fear of lost or incorrectly generated keystrokes.
- 3-Port USB 2.0 Hub: Three USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard can accommodate connection of additional low-power devices such as flash drives and mice.
- Laser Etched Keys: Legends are burned into the key caps with a laser, so they will never wear off.
- Detachable Keyboard Cables: This keyboard comes with a longer "home" cable and a shorter "travel" cable, so the home cable can remain attached to the desktop (when going on the road) and the travel cable can be left in a laptop bag for when the Mini Quiet Pro is needed on the road.
- Audio and Media Controls: Through the Fn modifier key, access is provided to controls for Volume, Play / Pause, Next Track, and Previous Track.
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: The Mini Quiet Pro achieves its compact size due to the elimination of an integrated numeric keypad on the left or right hand side. However, it does have an embedded numeric keypad, which is simply certain letter keys on the right hand side doubling as number keys when accessed through a toggle 'Fn' key on the bottom right corner of the keyboard. The numbers are legended on the upper right corner of the keycaps and can be accessed using these instructions:
Summary of How the Embedded Numeric Keypad Functions
|Legending:||The numeric keypad numbers are legended on the upper right corner of the keys. There are no navigation legends.|
To Activate the Numeric Keypad:
|Press and hold the Fn key and then press the desired key (i.e. shift access). There is no Num Lock indicator light.|
|To Deactivate the Numeric Keypad:||Press and hold the Fn key and then press the desired key (i.e. shift access). There is no Num Lock indicator light.|
|To Toggle NumLock On or Off:||Press and hold the Fn key and then press the NumLock key (i.e. toggle access).|
|With NumLock On:||The embedded keypad will generate numbers if the NumLock is active and the the Fn (Function) key is depressed. |
|With NumLock Off:||The embedded keypad will generate navigation keys if the NumLock is inactive and the the Fn (Function) key is depressed.|
|WHAT THIS MEANS|| |
|To Get Numbers||While holding the Fn key down, and with NumLock toggled on, press the appropriate key on the embedded numeric keypad.|
|To Get Navigation||While holding the Fn key down, and with NumLock toggled off, press the appropriate key on the embedded numeric keypad.|
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Matias Mini Quiet Pro - Top View
Matias Mini Quiet Pro - French Canadian Bi-Lingual Model
Matias Mini Quiet Pro - Support Legs in Use
Matias Quiet Click Mechanical Keyswitch Specs
Matias Mini Quiet Pro - French Canadian Bilingual Layout (FK303QPC-FC)
- Make sure the keyboard is properly positioned. Sit in your usual position at your desk and gently square your shoulders. Allow your upper arms to relax to your waist. Lift your forearms at the elbow and extend your fingers so that there is a straight line from your elbow through the centre of your wrist to your middle finger. Adjust your seat height or keyboard tray so that your arms and hands can maintain this position as you type.
Note: If you need to raise your chair you will most likely need some kind of support for your feet.
- Try to keep the straight line through the wrist while typing. If you find that your hands are angling up at the wrist you may wish to add a palm support to aid in maintaining that neutral alignment..
- As you type, pay attention to when the keystroke actuates on the screen and learn to associate it with the feel of the key as it is depressed. As you learn how far and hard to press a key, you will be able to become efficient at using just enough force to exceed the peak force of the switch ("QUIET CLICK") and generate a keystroke every time, without bottoming out at the end of the keystroke against the keyboard ("CLACK").
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|FK303QPC|| Mini Quiet Pro, Black, USB, PC only, English Layout|
|FK303QPC-FC|| Mini Quiet Pro, Black, USB, PC only, French Canadian Bilingual Layout|