| Additional Resources Accessories |
The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism from Humanscale is the heavier duty precursor to the current 6G Arm. It provides a reasonable amount of height adjustability from 5.00" below to 1.25" above the mounting point. The 0° to 15° dial-a-tilt feature allows the user to set the tray at any desired negative inclination in that range. It includes a 22" or 27" steel track with plastic glides (not ball-bearings) for storage when the tray is not in use.
Note: The 5G Keyboard Arm Mechanism can only accept Humanscale Keyboard trays. If you are unsure of what type of keyboard tray you already have or are willing to consider alternative ball-bearing arms with longer durability and superior range consider the Ovation Low Profile Leverless Arm.
Humanscale Tray Mounting Pattern
Reduces Strain on the Shoulder and Neck Muscles
- Employing the 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism enables a user to position their keyboard and mouse at a height which permits the shoulders and neck to be in a relaxed position. Most desk surfaces are too high for the vast majority of users which leads to shoulder tension as the user elevates their hands and arms to achieve the correct posture for their wrist.
Reduces Risk of Shoulder Hunching
- The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism can free users to position their keyboard and mouse at a suitable ergonomic height and location in relation to their torso. Doing this should reduce or eliminate the shoulder hunching which occurs as users try to reach forward and up to an inappropriately positioned worksurface. Note that the limited range of height adjustment may be insufficient for some users.
Reduces Risk of Wrist Extension
- The ability to easily adjust the angle of the keyboard tray into a negative inclination will encourage users to orient their keyboard at the angle necessary to create a neutral wrist alignment. This can also reduce the risk of developing associated repetitive strain injuries (RSI).
ef="https://www.ergopedia.ca/risk_factors/Wrist_Extension_When_Using_the_Keyboard.html">Learn More About Wrist Extension
Positions Keyboard and Mouse in the "Comfort Zone"
- Computer users often find themselves reaching forward to the keyboard and mouse which can result in hunching of the shoulders, as referred to above. By moving both the keyboard and mouse to the same location and closer to the user the shoulders are in a more natural position, reducing the risk of developing shoulder and neck pain. It also encourages a more upright posture, rather than forcing the user to lean forward.Learn More About the Comfort Zone.
Encourages Correct Posture
- The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism can be employed to correctly position the keyboard and mouse. This can free the user to return their torso to a correct upright posture, with the shoulders back and relaxed. It will also encourage them to sit back in their chair and utilize the back for lumbar support, rather than leaning forward from the waist, or perching on the edge of the seat.
Enables Correct Viewing Distance
- Many modern desks offer a limited depth which can position the monitor(s) too close for appropriate viewing. The installation of a suitable keyboard arm will move the user away from the monitor(s), positioning them at a more appropriate distance from the user. This can be of special benefit where multiple or large monitors are being used.Learn More About Correct Monitor Positioning.
Reduces Worker Fatigue
- A correctly positioned keyboard and mouse can significantly reduce worker fatigue. Awkward and incorrect placement can require a constant effort from the user to maintain a useable position in relation to the devices. The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism can be used to create an ergonomically suitable work environment that will permit the user to assume a relaxed natural posture, eliminating the tension or stress as well as the pain which often accompanies these.
Can Reduce Neck Rotation
- Attaching a keyboard arm to a workstation can enable users to bring reference documents in line with the monitor(s). Doing so can significantly reduce repetitive neck rotation as the user is no longer required to look to the side when accessing their reference materials. As well, with many users now employing much larger screens or multiple monitors, positioning themselves further back from the screens will also significantly reduce the frequency and degree of neck rotation necessary for viewing these monitors.
- Simple Height Adjustment: Height adjustment on the 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism is accomplished by slightly lifting the front edge of the tray to disengage the locking mechanism. The tray can then be raised or lowered to the desired height before releasing the front of the tray which re-engages the locking mechanism.
- Low-Profile Design: The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm features a low profile tray mount with minimal projection of any mechanism below the tray (Just 0.75" for the back 2 - 3 inches). This reduces the potential for interference with the knees. As well, all exposed edges are softly rounded for safety and comfort.
- Dial Tilt Adjustment: Keyboard tray angle is easily adjusted using the adjustment knob located just behind the tray. The 5G provides a 15° range of adjustment (0° to-15°) which can accommodate a wide range of usage scenarios.
- Tray Angle Indicator: The adjustment control on the 5G mechanism includes an indicator dial which indicates the angle of the tray.
- Easily Confirmed Negative Tilt: The simplicity and verification of the angle adjustment can encourage users to use this feature to achieve a more neutral posture by reducing or eliminating wrist extension.
- 360° Swivel: The keyboard tray mechanism is mounted to the track with a convenient 360° swivel joint which can be useful where awkward situations which preclude straight-on mounting are encountered. This permits angled track mounting while permitting users to pivot the tray into a correct ergonomic orientation.
- Steel Track with Plastic Glides for Storage: The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism is fitted with plastic glides. These need to be lubricated occasionally to reduce the risk of early failure but do wear down over time. This can result in binding, especially when the tray is being stored. More durable track mechanisms equipped with steel ball bearing movements are available on other keyboard arm systems such as the Ovation Low Profile Leverless Arm.
- Adjustment Height: The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism provides a 6.25" range of adjustment from 1.25" above to 5" below the mounting point.
- Limited Space Option: Some 24" deep desktops are unable to accommodate common 23" track keyboard arms due to inset privacy panels which reduce the clearance below 23". In this case the 21.625" track length of the 5G makes it a possible solution. It will also permit almost complete tray storage, something shorter tracks are unable to do.
- 360 Degree Rotation: The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism permits a full 360° of rotation. This permits the tray to be swivelled for storage in situations where the track may need to be mounted running sideways due to lack of space to position the track in the usual front to back orientation.
- Supports Angled Track Installation: The 360° swivel range enables users to correctly orient the tray to themselves even in situations where the track may need to be placed at an angle to the usual mounting.
- Convenient Cable Clips: Cable clips are included to facilitate tangle-free routing of keyboard and mouse cords.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Humanscale 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism
- Width of Storage Track: 5.5" (14 cm)
- Depth (front to back) of Storage Track:
5G-MECH: 21.625" (54.9 cm)
5G-MECH-27: 27" (68.6 cm)
- Weight: 8.5 lbs. (3.9 kg)
- Height Adjustment Range: 6.25" (15.9 cm) overall
Above Mounting Point: 1.25" (3.2 cm)
Below Mounting Point: 5" (12.7 cm)
- Height Adjustment Mechanism: Accessed by lifting the front edge of the tray.
- Track Mechanism: Plastic Glides
- Swivel at Track: 360°
- Tilt Adjustment: 0° to -15°
- Tilt Mechanism: Dial-a-Tilt
- Tilt Indicator?: Present
- Colour: Black
- Warranty: 15 Years
- Package Contents: 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism, Mounting Hardware, Installation Guide
- The 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism can be used to make your mouse and keyboard "come to you" rather than reaching out to reach them. Employ the simple height adjustment and the freedom to move the keyboard to bring the keyboard to where it best serves your needs to your benefit.
- For ease of height adjustment gently grasp the sides of the keyboard tray in each hand and tilt the front upwards to release the locking mechanism. Move the tray to the desired height and lower the front edge to engage the lock once again. (This can also be done by lifting from the front of the tray if that is more comfortable.)
- When setting your keyboard height and angle you want to ensure that you achieve as neutral a posture as possible. This means your shoulders should be relaxed (neither hunched nor hanging), your elbows should be at an angle of about 90° or slightly more open, and the line through the back of your wrists should be reasonably straight. Learn More About Correctly Adjusting Your Keyboard Tray
- Note: When measuring to determine the available mounting space it is necessary to measure the "underside" of the desk and to ensure that there is nothing which will interfere with the mounting of the track or the movement of the tray when being stored. Never rely on a "top" measurement as there are often inset privacy panels which will reduce the actual available space for mounting. As well, when measuring from the top you will not see potential for interference with the track mounting or tray travel.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|5G-MECH|| 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism, Glide Track, 22" track|
|5G-MECH-27|| 5G Articulating Keyboard Arm Mechanism, Glide Track, 27" track|