| Additional Resources Accessories |
The FlexDesk 640 from Bakker Elkhuizen is a combination inline document holder and writing surface that positions between the keyboard and monitor and provides a large surface on which to store documents for easy access and notation. In order to ensure that overreaching does not occur when making notes, the easel surface can be drawn forward over the keyboard by a full 7.5". The central location, with the easel also providing support for the hand and arm when writing, can significantly reduce the risk of shoulder strain. When keyboard access is again required, the easel is easily slid back for storage where it remains ready for use, held in place by a magnetic lock. The easel edges are softly rounded and a foam pad doubles as a document ledge and a comfortable resting place for the wrist and arm while writing.
The FlexDesk 640 is capable of supporting anything from single pages to books or binders and with a surface space 20" wide and 11.5" deep will easily accommodate the majority of document sizes. Even legal-sized documents will work as the extra 2.5" will be supported by the base when the easel is drawn down for writing. Ball bearing glides ensure that easel movement is smooth and virtually effortless with grip pads keeping the FlexDesk 640 firmly in place as adjustments are made. The base also incorporates a convenient molded storage compartment below the easel for storage of writing utensils or other desk essentials. Adjustable legs provide three options of height adjustment with the angle increasing as height is increased (see Specifications). The FlexDesk 640 features a clear acrylic base that blends into any office environment, lending a distinctive "clean" look. To reduce the potential for uncomfortable glare the writing surface is backed with a frosted finish.
Note: Those who may have used earlier versions of the FlexDesk 640 should be aware of some design changes. The legs now extend further forward to ensure greater stability when deployed for writing and the minimum height is slightly greater. In addition the storage compartment is no longer removable, as it is molded into the base. Finally, there is a 3D textured logo in the centre of the writing surface that may impact writing on thin documents. See the Image Gallery to view product images.
Reduces Strain on the Neck Muscles
- The Flexdesk 640 positions documents centrally, directly in front of the torso. This positioning eliminates the need to repeatedly turn the head as one would need to do when viewing reference materials or making notations with holders positioned to one side. This greatly reduces the risk of inflammation in the soft tissues or of damage occurring to the neck from such repetitive rotation.
Reduces Strain on the Shoulder and Back Muscles
- The FlexDesk 640 enables individuals to draw the writing surface up to 7.5" closer. This eliminates the need to reach forward over the keyboard when handwriting and can greatly reduce the load on the shoulders. In addition, this eliminates the need to lean forward to reach materials and facilitates the maintenance of a correct upright posture, reducing the strain that is put on the muscles of the back when leaning too far forward.
Facilitates Easy Access to Work Area
- The FlexDesk 640 utilizes otherwise unproductive space between the monitor and keyboard, creating a centralized space for both reference and writing. This clears the desk surface to both sides of the keyboard, ensuring that keyboard, mouse and other regularly accessed devices are able to be positioned within the Comfort Zone. Learn More About the Comfort Zone.
- Sliding Easel: The FlexDesk 640 easel is almost effortlessly drawn down and stored away as needed throughout the workday. Ball-bearing tracks ensure smooth movement and the convenient magnetic lock holds the easel in the stored position.
- Generous Work Surface: The large (20" W x 11.5" D) easel surface will accommodate virtually any size of reference or writing materials. Even longer legal-sized paper will be supported by the base when the easel is drawn down for writing purposes.
- Ability to Cantilever: The design of the FlexDesk 640 is such that under normal usage it is able to provide sufficient support for writing, even when cantilevered over the front of a desk. Most should be able to comfortably rest the weight of their forearm without fear of the FlexDesk tipping forward.
- Multi-Angle Writing Slope: The pull-down writing easel can be secured firmly in place at 3 heights, each of which positions the surface at a different angle. The angles are: 7°, 12° and 15°.
- Low Profile Front Lip: The low profile foam pad across the bottom of the easel is sufficient to prevent books and papers from slipping off, but low enough not to create pressure on the sensitive underside of the forearm.
- Integrated Storage Compartment: Writing utensils can be stored below the easel for quick easy access when the easel is drawn down into writing mode.
- Sturdy Lightweight Construction: The 5 mm thick clear acrylic construction presents a "clean" appearance in any office environment while also ensuring that the FlexDesk 640 is lightweight to facilitate easy movement.
- Reduced Surface Glare: The adjustable writing easel has a frosted finish to reduce the potential for eye-straining glare from overhead lights or windows.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
FlexDesk 640 - With Keyboard
FlexDesk 640 - Easel Pulls Forward Over Keyboard
FlexDesk 640 - 3 Angle/Height Settings
FlexDesk 640 - Works with Compact Keyboards
FlexDesk 640 - Easel Deploys for Writing
- Dimensions (Overall):
Width: 20.25" (51.4 cm)
Depth: 15" (38.1 cm)
- Dimensions (Easel):
Width: 20" (50.8 cm)
Depth: 11.5" (29.2 cm)
- Forward Extension of Easel: 7.5" (19 cm)
- Maximum Keyboard Width: 18.75" (47.6 cm)
- Height at Front:
Setting 1: 3.0" (7.6 cm)
Setting 2: 3.5" (7.6 cm)
Setting 3: 4.0" (10.2 cm)
- Height at Rear:
Setting 1: 4.3" (11 cm)
Setting 2: 5.75" (14.6 cm)
Setting 3: 7.0" (18 cm)
- Front Clearance:
Setting 1: 2.125" (5.4 cm)
Setting 2: 2.5" (6.4 cm)
Setting 3: 3.0" (7.6 cm)
- Easel Angle:
Setting 1: 7°
Setting 2: 12°
Setting 3: 15°
- Weight: 4.8 lbs (2.2 kgs)
- Dimensions of Storage Compartment: 16.75" (12.5 cm) L x 1" (2.5 cm) W x 0.375" (1 cm) D
- Warranty: 2 year limited warranty
- Package Contents: FlexDesk 640, User Guide
- When adding the FlexDesk 640 to your workstation you will want to ensure that your monitor is positioned high enough that you are able to see over the FlexDesk. At the lowest setting the top rear edge of the FlexDesk 640 is about 4.3" above the desk. As the writing surface angle is increased that height can increase to 7". If you are of shorter stature your line of sight to the bottom of your monitor(s) is at a shallower angle and this may require that you elevate your monitor in order to retain full view of the screen. If your monitor stand offers height adjustment that might be sufficient elevation. Otherwise you will need to consider adding monitor risers to increase the elevation as needed. A wide variety of monitor risers are available in height increments from 1" up to several inches high. The other possibility may be to consider a monitor arm which would permit the monitor to be easily positioned at any height as required. If you are taller you should not require as much elevation as your line of site is at a greater angle and you may be able to look down past the back edge of the FlexDesk 640 to view your screen. However, if the FlexDesk is set to a higher angle setting even taller individuals will most likely need to increase their monitor elevation. Learn more about Correct Monitor Positioning.
Note: Those with multifocal lenses may find that raising the monitor is not an option as this can lead to RSI as a result of continuous neck extension. Neck tension and headaches are common problems which can occur as a result of this posture. It can also have deleterious effects on the physical structure of the neck and upper back. In these cases alternative solutions for document placement should be considered, e.g. a slantboard or document holder positioned to the left or right side of the monitor.
- Your workstation needs to provide sufficient depth and width to accommodate your FlexDesk 640. The FlexDesk will accommodate any standard keyboard up 19" in width. When using a full-width keyboard the stabilizing leg which extends forward should provide very minimal interference with mouse positioning as the mouse can simply be positioned just outside the FlexDesk base. If you are using a narrower "Compact" keyboard you may have difficulty positioning the mouse within close proximity to the keyboard and may need to consider an alternative solution with a narrower footprint that would be better suited for use with compact keyboards. With regards to depth, when the FlexDesk 640 is combined with an average keyboard positioned at the very front edge of the desk you will need, at the very minimum, 16.5" of depth. If your monitor is placed closer than that it will need to be moved further back on the desk.
- If you are using the FlexDesk 640 on a workstation with a secondary keyboard worksurface or tray, ensure that the front feet on the base of the FlexDesk do not hang over the edge of the upper worksurface. Unsupported feet will decrease the stability of the FlexDesk when the writing surface is pulled down towards you, making it prone to tipping when downward pressure is exerted on the extended writing surface.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|BNEFDESK640|| FlexDesk 640|