| Additional Resources Usage Tips Accessories |
The CLEAVE Keyboard from Truly Ergonomic is an ergonomic compact keyboard with a non-traditional layout that combines advanced ergonomic design with high performance features. The slightly separated fixed-splay layout aids in achieving a neutral wrist alignment by orienting the keys closer to the natural inward angle of the forearms and hands when using the keyboard.
Unlike traditional keyboards where the rows are offset horizontally, the CLEAVE features a columnar layout, with each column adjusted vertically to optimize key positioning by matching the length and reach of each finger, with the keycaps of each row being individually sculpted to optimize finger contact. The symmetrical layout encourages a natural ergonomic central positioning of the keyboard.
In order to reduce the strain on the weaker pinky fingers, the most commonly used keys like Backspace, Delete, Shift, and Enter, are positioned centrally to be activated using the index fingers and thumbs. This also reduces awkward reaches that can reduce typing speed.
The CLEAVE is the first keyboard to incorporate Optical Infrared Mechanical Switches and features a minimalist, almost flat design. Rather than keys being recessed into a housing, it features a base that houses the PCB, with the keys rising above the machined aluminum housing. The integrated self-skinned polyurethane palm supports are easily cleaned and help to reduce wrist extension while providing a cushioned rest for the palms.
The absence of the numeric keypad means that the CLEAVE, which is just 13.6" in width, also reduces the reach for a mouse on the right by several inches, significantly reducing the risk of shoulder issues arising from overreach.
Reduces Risk of Wrist Injury
- Typing on a conventional keyboard requires experienced typists to bend the wrists outward towards the little finger in order to keep the fingers in the correct position on the home row. This posture, known as ulnar deviation, puts considerable strain on the joint and tissues of the wrist. The CLEAVE Keyboard offers a fixed splay layout that aligns the keys to the angle of the hands. The splayed layout facilitates a neutral alignment through the wrists, reducing or even eliminating ulnar deviation.
Learn More About Ulnar Deviation.
Can Reduce Wrist Extension
- The integrated cushioned palm support can help reduce the risk of wrist extension by preventing the wrists from dropping down to the desk or keyboard tray surface. In addition, the keycaps on the alpha keys have a slight negative inclination to encourage typists to keep their wrists elevated while typing. The almost-flat design ensures that when accessing the upper rows of keys the wrists are still able to maintain an almost-neutral alignment.
Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Reduces Finger Reach
- The keys on the CLEAVE Keyboard are arranged in vertical columns that reduce the side-to-side movement required on traditional horizontally-staggered key layouts. In addition, because fingers vary in length, each column is also positioned vertically to better match the reach of the corresponding finger.
Reduces Load on Weaker Fingers
- The modified key layout reduces strain on the pinky fingers by taking advantage of the greater strength of the thumbs and index fingers. The oversized Backspace and Delete keys are positioned centrally to provide instant access by the index fingers or thumbs. In addition, the Enter key and a duplicate Shift key are also located centrally, just below the Backspace and Delete keys for quick thumb access. This means that the pinky fingers bear minimal load and are no longer stretching and reaching for keys. This can also lead to an increase in typing speed as the hands never need to change position for accessing the Backspace and Delete keys.
Reduces Overreach to the Mouse
- The CLEAVE Keyboard features a compact footprint that eliminates the numeric keypad. Combined with a modified layout that repositions the navigation keys, this permits the mouse to be placed over 5" closer than with a traditional keyboard. Those who still require a numeric keypad have the option of using the numbers across the top of the keyboard or adding a stand alone numeric keypad to their desktop.
Learn More about Overreaching Outside of the Comfort Zone.
- Preset Fixed Splay: The keys on the CLEAVE keyboard are oriented to more closely match the natural alignment of the hands when reaching in towards the keyboard.
- Modified Key Layout: The CLEAVE Keyboard features a modified layout that is designed to transfer functions for both reduced load on the fingers as well as increased overall performance due to reduced reaching. The Enter key and a duplicate Shift key are located at the center for easy access by the thumbs. The Backspace and a secondary Delete key are positioned above these and accessible with the index fingers. Above these are dedicated one-touch keys for Cut, Copy, Paste, and Undo - also easily and quickly accessed by the index fingers. Caps Lock, FN and Windows keys are positioned centrally, between the numeric and function rows. The Page navigation keys are clustered below the left-hand keys, and the directional arrow keys below the right-hand keys. Vertically-oriented Ctrl and Alt keys have been placed adjacent to each other in the lower corners of the layout, facilitating quick access via the pinky fingers.
- Vertical Column Key Layout: The CLEAVE Keyboard features a vertical column grid layout that minimizes finger movement and stretch. The columns are arranged to match the natural differences in finger length, positioning each key within optimal reach.
- Optical-Mechanical Keyswitches: Individual keys are each equipped with laser emitters and sensors for instant actuation. The primary key action remains mechanical with 3 different styles of key to choose from (Silent Linear, Silent Tactile, and Soft-Click Tactile). The switches are guaranteed for 100 million keystrokes. Optical Infrared switches offer instantaneous actuation while eliminating all of the common wear and tear issues that are common with all other mechanical keyboards.
- Dedicated One-Touch Keys: Cut, Copy, Paste and Undo keys are located centrally for quick and easy access by the index fingers. This eliminates awkward key-combinations and can speed up editing.
- Enhanced Key Performance: The contact-free optical switches eliminate many of the issues that can arise from wear and tear on traditional mechanical metal contacts. These can include issues such as duplicate key presses, key chattering, oxidation, debouncing glitches, performance degradation, double letters, and missing letters.
- Replaceable and Swappable Switches: Modular and plate mounted switches for quick and easy replacement or swapping (4 extra switches are included). Optical switches eliminate the easily-damaged pins present on conventional switches.
- Compact Design: The Truly Ergonomic CLEAVE Keyboard does not include a numeric keypad. This permits mouse placement to be over 5" closer than possible with traditional full size keyboards.
- Compact Footprint: At just 13.6" in width, the CLEAVE Keyboard takes up much less desk space than traditional keyboards, while offering advanced design and function.
- Full-size Keycaps and Spacing: Despite the compact dimensions the CLEAVE Keyboard uses full-size keycaps and standard spacing between keys.
- Protective Coating: An advanced nano-coating shield makes it water, dust, and even snack resistant. Keycaps are coated with a protective UV coating that defends against oil, grime, and other elements of normal use, keeping them looking perfect and new even after prolonged use.
- Fixed Palm Supports: The CLEAVE keyboard is equipped with integrated palm supports. The sealed polyurethane supports provide a firm but yielding surface and are easily cleaned. They are fully supported and match the natural contours of the palms.
- Cable Routing Options: A cable routing channel in the underside accommodates right, left, or central cable placement.
- Low Profile and Sturdy: The CLEAVE Keyboard features a solid, slim profile body made from aerospace grade Aluminum alloy.
- Fully Addressable Backlighting: Bright white addressable and adjustable backlighting is provided by LEDs integrated into the PCB. This means that switches can be swapped out without affecting the backlighting functionality. CLEAVE backlighting features 10 brightness levels, 8 customizable backlight profiles, 10 predefined profiles, and 15 backlight effects.
- Floating Keycap Design: Unlike most keyboards that have the keycaps partially recessed within an outer housing, the CLEAVE features keycaps that are elevated or "float" above the flat aluminum housing. This reduces the risk of dust or debris collecting below or between keys and interfering with free key movement. It also means that cleaning this keyboard is much easier should the need ever arise.
- Programmable Key Options: The split design incorporates dual space bar keys that can be individually programmed to perform separate functions. In addition, the four tall central keys are also programmable.
- 1000Hz Polling: The CLEAVE features a polling rate that combines with the instant infrared switch activation to accommodate unlimited typing speeds.
- Onboard Memory: Personalized custom layouts, backlighting settings and macros are all safely stored in onboard memory for instant access whenever and wherever the CLEAVE is connected.
- Anti-Ghosting with Full NKRO: The CLEAVE is equipped with 100% Anti-Ghosting technology and supports full N-key rollover. There is no limit to the number of keys that can be simultaneously pressed so no keystrokes will be lost.
- Custom Macro Support: Entering repetitive text or commonly employed complicated commands is easily accomplished by programming these to a single keystroke.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Truly Ergonomic CLEAVE Keyboard
CLEAVE Keyboard - Profile
CLEAVE Keyboard - Side Profile
CLEAVE Keyboard - Front Profile
CLEAVE Keyboard - Infrared Mechanical Keyswitches
CLEAVE Keyboard - Addressable Variable Backlighting
CLEAVE Keyboard - Encourages Ergonomic Positioning
CLEAVE Keyboard - Staggered Vertical Grid Layout
CLEAVE Keyboard - Compact Layout
CLEAVE Keyboard - Eliminates Overreaching
CLEAVE Keyboard - Integrated Palm Supports
CLEAVE Keyboard - Ergonomic and Stylish
- Width: 13.6" (34.5 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): 8.8" (22.5 cm)
- Height: 1.3" (3.3 cm)
- Weight: 2 lbs (950 gr)
- Cable Length: 72" (180.0 cm)
- Number of Keys: Non-Standard Layout - 92 actual keys
- Keyswitch Type: Optical Infrared Mechanical - three options
TE-CLEAVE-S-US: Silent Tactile Optical Infrared Mechanical Switches
TE-CLEAVE-L-US: Silent Linear Optical Infrared Mechanical Switches
TE-CLEAVE-C-US: Soft-click Tactile Optical Infrared Mechanical Switches
- Key Travel Distance:
Activation Point: 1.9 mm
Full Travel: 3.8 mm
- Keyswitch Rating: Guaranteed for 100 million activations (4 replacement keys included)
- Hot Key Functions:
Windows: Internet Browser, My Computer, Search, Pause
Mac: Decrease Brightness, Increase Brightness, Mission Control, Launchpad, Media Eject
- Media Keys (Windows and Mac) (accessed via FN key): Mute, Volume -, Volume +, Play/Pause, Fast Forward , Rewind
- Backlighting Controls: Custom Profiles, On, Off, Increase Brightness, Decrease Brightness, Start/End Customizing.
- Layouts (re-configurable): Windows, Apple, Europe/ISO, Custom
- Compatibility: Windows, macOS, & Linux.
- Interface: USB Type A Connector
- Certifications: FCC, CE
Upper Housing: Unibody constructed of aerospace-grade Aluminum alloy
Palmrests: Polyurethane (self-skinned and sealed for ease of cleaning)
- Warranty: 2 years. Manufacturer Direct
- Package Contents: CLEAVE Keyboard, 4 Replacement Switches, 4 Blank Keycaps, Keycap and Switch Removal Tool, Quick Start Guide Sheet
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|TE-CLEAVE-S-US|| Silent Tactile Switches|
|TE-CLEAVE-L-US|| Silent Linear Switches|
|TE-CLEAVE-C-US|| Soft-Click Tactile Switches|