| Additional Resources Accessories |
The Compact-Touch keyboard by Solidtek is a compact all-in-one computer access device, combining the ergonomic benefits of a compact keyboard with the convenience of an integrated touchpad. With dimensions of just 11.4" wide by 9.0" deep this keyboard can fit almost anywhere. The Compact-Touch is able to achieves this by first of all eliminating the traditional numeric keypad and replacing it with an embedded numeric keypad with legends clearly marked on the front face of the keycaps. This embedded keypad is located in the right half of the keyboard, with function accessed via the FN key. To save further space on the keyboard, only the alpha-numeric keys are full-size and standard 19.4 mm spacing. The remainder of the keys are significantly narrower, with just 14 mm spacing which can make accurate targeting more difficult, especially for those with larger fingers. Although only having 88 keys, this keyboard still retains all the functions of a traditional 104 key layout.
The Compact-Touch keyboard employs membrane keyswitches with a shorter-than-average travel distance (3 mm instead of the standard 4 mm) and has a somewhat pronounced positive incline (i.e. it is higher at the back than at the front). However, the integrated palm support with the embedded touchpad provides a convenient resting location that helps to avoid wrist extension.
The integrated touchpad offers almost zero-force cursor control, supporting single click, double click and drag functions as well as providing a convenient fingertip vertical scroll zone along the right side. Directly below the touchpad surface are left and right click buttons to round out the functions.
Reduces Risk of Shoulder, Elbow and Wrist Strain
- To access the mouse when using a traditional keyboard with an integrated number pad, typists must reach from the home row, over the navigation keys, and then over the number pad. This repeated extension of the arm at the shoulder can place considerable strain on the muscles of the upper body on the mousing side. By eliminating the numeric keypad, and providing an integrated touchpad for cursor control, the Compact-Touch keyboard eliminates any need to reach outside the Comfort Zone. Learn More About Overreaching Outside the Comfort Zone.
Reduces Risk of Wrist Pain
- The relatively low front profile of the Mini Keyboard combines with the integrated palm supports to eliminate the unhealthy, upward bend at the wrist known as wrist extension. Learn More About Wrist Extension.
- Compact: The compact size of the Compact-Touch keyboard makes it ideal for smaller spaces. In order to achieve this compactness, the dedicated number pad has been eliminated (replaced by the embedded keypad) and many of the lesser used keys have been reduced in size.
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: The Compact-Touch keyboard achieves its compact size due to the elimination of an integrated numeric keypad on the left or right hand side. However, it does have an embedded numeric keypad, which is easily and quickly accessed through a toggle key. Embedded Numeric Keypad Access Instructions.
- Concave Keycaps: The keycaps have a slightly concave surface that improves tactility by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps and guiding the fingers to the key centers.
- Portable: The slim profile and dimensions mean that the Compact-Touch keyboard is highly portable. Combining it with a portable laptop stand to elevate a laptop screen can greatly improve ergonomics when working remotely.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Compact -Touch Keyboard - Black
Compact -Touch Keyboard - White
- Width: 11.38" (28.9 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): 8.94" (22.7 cm)
- Height: 1.06" (2.7 cm)
- Weight: 1.6 lbs (720 grams)
- Keyswitch Type: Membrane
- Keyswitch Rating: 5 million cycles
- Peak Force: 50 ± 10 grams
- Total Travel: 3.0 ± 0.3 mm
- Travel to peak: 1.0 ± 0.2 mm
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: 20 Functions
- Number of Keys: 88/89 keys with embedded numeric keypad and 12 dedicated function keys
- Touchpad Functions: Left Click, Double Click, Drag, Scroll Zone. Left and Right physical buttons below.
- Cable length: 6' (183 cm)
- Compatibility: Windows 98 and above
- Interface: USB or PS/2 (model specific)
- EMI: FCC class B, CE available
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
- Package Contents: Compact-Touch Keyboard, User Guide
- If you have larger hands you may wish to consider a different keyboard as the reduced widths of most of the secondary keys may make targeting of these keys difficult. There are numerous keyboards that are still considered "compact" but that retain full-size keys throughout and which can be paired with stand-alone touchpads or other central pointing devices.
- Because the touchpad is centrally positioned this compact keyboard will work equally well for you whether you are right- or left-handed as it will eliminate any need to reach to either side for mouse access.
- Familiarize yourself with the embedded numeric keypad. If your work requires occasional periods of more intense numeric entry using the numeric keypad may prove to be convenient. If the embedded numeric keypad does not meet your requirements consider adding one of the external numeric keypad options available as accessories.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|ACK-540U|| USB model, black|
|ACK-540UW|| USB model, white|
|ACK-540|| PS/2 model, black|
|SK540AL|| PS/2 model, aluminum|