| Additional Resources Usage Tips Accessories |
The new second generation version of the Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard from Solidtek is now available. Like the original version, this new model features standard keys (both key pitch and key cap size) with a discrete numeric keypad on the right-hand side. The only exception to this are the function keys. This keyboard is only 15.125" (38.4 cm) wide, roughly 2.75" narrower than the average conventional keyboard. This narrower width will allow the mouse to be slightly closer to the midline of the user, which reduces overreaching.
The new model features a sleek new housing that is both thinner and lighter than the original model. There are a couple of significant changes in the keys. The first is that the DEL key is no longer in the upper right corner, having been moved down to the right of the spacebar adjacent to the INS key. As well, the the navigation keys (up, down, left, right "arrows") have been increased in size to a full size key (as opposed to a half-height key as they were on the original), with the right "Shift" key slightly reduced in width to accommodate the up arrow key.
The keyswitches are high quality scissor-switch membrane keyswitches with comparatively long travel for this type of switch (2.8 mm), and the keycap tops are slightly concave.
Reduces Overreaching for the Mouse
- Regular size keyboards with integrated numeric keypads on the right often make reaching for the mouse on the right-hand side an ergonomic risk factor. The further the reach for the mouse (from the dominant hand home row, over the navigation keys, over the numeric keypad), the greater the risk of injuries to the arm and shoulder due to overreaching. The Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard helps this potential risk factor by keeping the built-in numeric keypad on the right side as close as possible to the main keys while still providing a total width of only 15.125".
: For an even better option against overreaching for the mouse, consider a keyboard with no built-in numeric keypad
or one with a built-in numeric keypad on the left-hand side
(assuming the user is right-handed).
Learn More About Overreaching
Reduces Risk of Wrist Extension
- With only 0.47" between the work surface and the top of the keys, the slim design of this keyboard helps users avoid having to bend their hands up at the wrist so their fingers can reach the keys. This posture, known as wrist extension, reduces blood flow through the wrist, and contributes to fatigue, pain and numbness in the hand and forearm. Learn More About Wrist Extension
- The tops of the keycaps are slightly "concave", which improves tactility compared with completely flat top keycaps by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps. This improved tactility can help prevent mistyping and hence reduce the overall amount of typing for the user.
- Compact Size: The Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard qualifies as a compact keyboard because it is only 15.125" (38.4 cm) wide, roughly 2.75" narrower than the average conventional keyboard.
- Full Size Keycaps for Most Keys: Standard sized sculpted (concave) keycaps and key pitch (the space between the keys) results in no learning curve when transferring keyboarding skills to this keyboard, except for the top row keys. For those who rarely use those latter keys, there is no compromise between the keycap size and pitch and having a compact keyboard with built-in numeric keypad, since the overall width of the keyboard is still only 15.125".
- Concave Keycaps: The keycaps have a slightly concave surface, which improves tactility by maximizing finger pad contact on the keycaps.
- Low Profile: The slim housing, only 0.5" high at rear and angling slightly downward to a front height of 0.39", reduces the potential for wrist extension.
- High-Quality Scissor-Switch Keyswitches: High-quality scissor-switch keyswitches offer the low-travel feel of a laptop keyboard (although at 2.8 mm, these offer a longer key travel distance than most switches of this type).
- Convenient Secondary Functions: Pressing and holding the FN key while depressing an additional key offers access to the following functions
- F1 - Volume Down
- F2 - Volume Up
- F3 - Mute
- F4 - Previous Track
- F5 - Play/Pause
- F6 - Stop
- F7 - Next Track
- F8 - Eject
- F9 - Launch Web Browser
- F10 - Launch Email Client
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard
Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard - Closeup
Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard - Virtually Flat Low Profile
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|ACK-5100|| Compact Financial Scissor-Switch Membrane Keyboard|
|PSK-5100U|| This product was almost identical to the ACK-5100 listed above. The part number has been REPLACED.|