| Accessories |
The Optima Trackball from Pretorian is a durable desktop trackball designed with the requirements of users with limited motor skills in mind, yet totally suitable for use by a wide range of users. The angled housing provides an ergonomically supportive position for the hand by providing a place to rest during use.
The large 2" diameter trackball rises 0.7" above the trackball housing, presenting a significant profile for the hand to make contact with. The free-running trackball is securely mounted in the housing and offers smooth movement from even a light touch. Tracking is provided by an optical sensor which eliminates mechanical parts which can fail from wear while still offering precise tracking and cursor control.
Colour-coded and recessed control buttons for Left Click, Right Click, and Drag-Lock are positioned above the trackball. The recessed location assists users in guiding their fingers to the appropriate buttons as well as preventing accidental activation that could occur with flush or raised buttons. In addition, the Optima is also equipped with dual ports which accommodate the attachment of external switches for activation of the left and right click functions. These can be used to offer users with limited motor control alternative methods of clicking.
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that virtually all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- The Optima Trackball is a stationary mousing device. Moving the ball with the fingers moves the cursor on the screen but the device itself does not move. Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. Many users who can benefit from the Optima features already have issues in these areas so any reduction of the amount or degree of movement is of benefit. The Optima Trackball assists the user in keeping the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- Trackballs effectively counter any tendency the user might have to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. Trackballs, by requiring a simple spinning motion accomplished with the fingers, eliminate static grip entirely. Learn More About Static Grip Force
Assists in Button Access
- The Optima Trackball offers inset buttons arcing across the top of the trackball. This design assists users with motor control weakness in targeting the buttons as well as having the accompanying effect of reducing the risk of accidental button activation.
Hardwired Drag Lock Feature Reduces Finger Fatigue
- The hard-wired drag-lock feature allows users to activate drag-lock by a simple click. This eliminates the need to hold down the button while dragging the selected item on the computer screen. This greatly simplifies using applications that require significant click-and-drag actions such as locking onto the scroll bar or text selection.
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- The Optima Trackball feature an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. Left and Right button functions can be switched through the OS control panel settings. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows the user to reduce the strain on the muscles of the dominant side.
Large Diameter Weighted Ball
- The 51 mm ball on the Optima Trackball is weighted to provide users with excellent response feedback. Although the weight of the ball requires that users actively choose to move the ball the force required for cursor control is still relatively low. The higher mass of a weighted ball means that users can also 'spin' the ball to cover greater distances.
- Ergonomic Design: Pretorian products are designed with the user in mind, providing appropriate button positioning, ease of control and necessary hand support for all-round ergonomic benefit.
- Rugged Construction: Pretorian products are designed with the expectation that they may be subjected to less than ideal conditions. As a result their construction is intended to accept this type of usage without failure.
- High Visibility Controls: The Optima Trackball features brightly coloured high-contrast buttons and trackball which act as visual aids to assist users who have vision or comprehension difficulties.
- Large Footprint for Maximum Stability: All Pretorian products are designed to ensure stability. The large footprint ensures that the devices are not easily knocked off of the surface on which they are situated.
- Integral Wrist Support: The Optima Trackball offers a large surface on which to rest the heel of the hand. This means that the wrist can be maintained in a neutral position, reducing the risk of wrist extension and also permitting users to relax and allow the wrist to rest.
- Large Trackball: The large 51 mm, free-running ball ensures that cursor control requires nominal effort. Although the ball has significant mass it will still move with a minimal amount force. A speed control setting enables users to cycle through 4 levels of performance, choosing the one which best meets their needs at any time.
- Durable Optical Tracking: The Optima tracking system relies on optical technology, eliminating any mechanical wearing parts and ensuring precise and accurate cursor control.
- Silky Smooth Trackball Movement: The Optima Trackball offers exceptionally smooth movement.
- Clearly Identifiable Controls: The large buttons on the Optima Trackball are colour-coded using primary colours with white legends. This is intended to meet the needs of a wide range of users, including those who may have limited vision and may not be able to discern the legending.
- Assisted Access Buttons: All buttons are recessed into the housing to prevent accidental activation. This positioning also serves as an aid to guide fingers directly to the buttons. This feature, combined with the wide positioning between buttons, greatly reduces the potential for accidental activation.
- Symmetrical Ambidextrous Design: The housing of the Optima Trackball provides users with the freedom to easily switch between right or left users. Users can use the OS Control Panel settings to switch the Left and Right Click functions.
- External Switch Support: Two 1/8" mini phono plug sockets provide for the attachment of external left and right click buttons for users who may have trouble targeting the inset buttons. Check out our selection of switches that can be used with the Optima Trackball.
- Latching Drag Lock: The Drag Lock latches on to a selection until the button is activated a second time to release the latch. This releases the user to focus on the necessary cursor movement, be it selecting text or simply moving something on the screen.
- PS/2 and USB 'Plug and Play' installation: Installation is a breeze. Simply connect the USB and the trackball will automatically install. If a PS/2 connection is required just attach the adapter, plug it in and start/restart the computer.
- Wired Reliability: The Pretorian Optima Trackball employs a wired USB connection which eliminates the potential for wireless to 'drop out' at a crucial moment. It also ensures the fastest communication - eliminating any potential for lag from wireless.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
- Optima Trackball User Manual: PDF
- Width: 4" (10.2 cm)
- Depth (front to back): 7.1" (18.0 cm)
- Height (to top of trackball, highest point on mouse): 2.8" (7.0 cm)
- Height (front of casing): 1.0" (2.6 cm)
- Height (rear of casing): 2.4" (6.2 cm)
- Height (from casing to top of trackball): 0.71" (1.8 cm)
- Diameter of Trackball: 2.0" (5.1 cm)
- Diameter of Buttons: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
- Cord Length: 87.0" (2.2 m)
Left Button: Red
Middle Button: Blue
Right Button: Yellow
To CPU: USB or PS/2 (USB to PS/2 adapter included)
To Switches: 2 x Mini-phono Jacks (1/8")
PC, Mac, Chromebook
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
- Warranty: 2 years
- Package Contents: Optima Trackball, USB to PS/2 adapter, User Guide
- If you are new to a trackball expect that it will take a while to get accustomed to the different style of control. It is also a good idea to limit the amount of time you use it in the first while. Rather, build up to longer periods of usage by interchanging with a different mousing device or by Load Balancing (see next point).
- Load Balance Your Use: The freedom of an ambidextrous trackball lets you easily switch between left and right handed use. Make a point of using it with your non-dominant hand. Not only is this good for your dominant hand, which gets a break from working, it can slowly build dexterity and endurance which your non-dominant hand generally does not have. As a bonus, it is also a way of stimulating the other half of your brain, which is never a bad idea.
- Take Regular Breaks: If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break by switching to a different device or by swapping to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Some users find that the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing them through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Remember to employ the Drag-Lock feature when selecting or moving text or when performing drag-and-drop functions.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|OAT|| Optima Trackball|