| Accessories |
The n-ABLER PRO Trackball from Pretorian is specifically designed to address the needs of computer users with limited hand control, motor skill difficulties, poor hand-eye coordination, lack of manual dexterity and involuntary muscle spasms. This functionality is packaged in a "Professional" housing that will blend easily into office or classroom environments, reducing undesired attention. The glossy silver upper housing offers limited resistance to hand repositioning and the black buttons feature contrasting white legends for increased visibility.
The n-ABLER PRO Trackball offers the same basic functions (cursor control, left click, right click, double click, and drag lock) as does the standard n-ABLER Trackball but in addition also offers a locking "Pan" function which enables vertical and horizontal scrolling using the trackball without the need to hold down a button. It also features an "Anti-Tremor" function with three settings to enhance cursor control for users experiencing hand tremors of varying degrees.Cursor control is provided by a large 63 mm, free-running ball which responds to minimal effort. To avoid accidental movement the trackball projects only slightly above the housing, with the activation buttons fully recessed to avoid accidental activation as well as to aid users in button targeting. Dual mini-phono jacks permit the attachment of a variety of external switches to provide users with easier access to the Left and Right click functions. Users who find the traditional orientation unsuitable have the option of 'teaching' the trackball to orient itself at 90° increments, freeing the user to change the housing orientation for optimum usage and comfort. The trackball also offers an optional buzzer setting which provides notification as specific functions are activated or deactivated.
The design of the n-ABLER PRO Trackball offers fingertip precision control and requires only minimal hand movement. This can reduce wrist and elbow fatigue, as it requires noticeably less effort. The symmetrical design enables users to work with either hand without having to angle the wrist, and the unit can also be configured for left-handed operation. Its large, integrated hand support/palm rest makes work posture more relaxed and less strained.
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that virtually all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- The n-ABLER PRO Trackball is a stationary mousing device. Moving the ball with the fingers moves the cursor on the screen but the device itself does not move. Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. Many users who can benefit from the n-ABLER PRO features already have issues in these areas so any reduction of the amount or degree of movement is of benefit. The housing of the trackball can also be set at any multiple of 90° and the trackball 'taught' which way is up. Allowing the user to keep the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- Trackballs effectively counter any tendency the user might have to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. Trackballs, by requiring a simple spinning motion accomplished with the fingers, eliminate static grip entirely. Learn More About Static Grip Force
Assists in Button Access
- The n-ABLER PRO Trackball offers inset buttons surrounding the trackball. This design assists users with motor control weakness in targeting the buttons as well as having the accompanying effect of reducing the risk of accidental button activation.
Hardwired Drag Lock Feature Reduces Finger Fatigue
- The hard-wired drag-lock feature allows users to activate drag-lock by a simple click. This eliminates the need to hold down the button while dragging the selected item on the computer screen. This greatly simplifies using applications that require significant click-and-drag actions.
Scroll Lock for Ease of Scrolling
- A dedicated PAN or Scroll Lock button quickly converts the trackball from cursor control mode to multi-directional scrolling mode.
Anti-Tremor Function to Relax Users
- Users who experience tremors or muscle spasms often find cursor control frustrating. The n-ABLER PRO Trackball offers a 3-level Anti-Tremor function which can 'smooth' cursor movement and let the user be more relaxed. This reduction in tension and stress can possibly assist in gaining better control.
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- The n-ABLER PRO Trackball feature an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. Left and Right button functions can be switched onboard. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows the user to reduce the strain on the muscles of the dominant side.
Large Diameter Weighted Ball
- The 63 mm ball on the n-ABLER PRO Trackball is weighted to provide users with excellent feedback response. The weighted ball is almost fully recessed into the housing, requiring the user to consciously make contact in order to achieve cursor movement. This serves to greatly reduce the risk of unwanted cursor movement. The higher mass lets users with greater ability can also 'spin' the ball to cover greater distances.
- Sharp Silver/Black Housing: Most assistive access devices still adhere to primary colours for better visibility. While this does accomplish the intended result users are left with a highly visible and attention-getting device. Many users who rely on such devices have no need of the colouration and would rather reduce this visibility as it draws attention away from their capabilities. The n-ABLER PRO Trackball and its cousin the n-ABLER PRO Joystick address this with their Silver and Black colour scheme which enables the devices to better blend into traditional office or classroom settings.
- Ergonomic Design: Pretorian products are designed with the user in mind, providing appropriate button positioning, ease of control and necessary hand support for all-round ergonomic benefit.
- Rugged Construction: Pretorian products are designed with the expectation that they may be subjected to less than ideal conditions. As a result their construction is intended to accept this type of usage without failure.
- Large Footprint for Maximum Stability: All Pretorian products are designed to ensure stability. The large footprint of the housing ensures that the devices are not easily knocked off of the surface on which they are situated.
- Standard Mounting Pattern: A standard 3-point threaded mount is provided on the underside for securing to any mounting surface.
- Symmetrical Design: The housing of the n-ABLER PRO Trackball provides users with the freedom to easily switch between right or left-handed use. Left and Right click buttons can easily be switched without the need of changing computer settings.
- Integrated Wrist Support: The Trackball offers a large surface on which to rest the heel of the hand. This means that the wrist can be maintained in a neutral position, reducing the risk of wrist extension and also permitting users to relax and allow the wrist to rest.
- Large Trackball: The large 63 mm, free-running ball ensures that cursor control requires nominal effort. Although the ball has significant mass it will still move with a minimal amount of force. A speed control setting enables users to cycle through 4 levels of performance, choosing the one that best meets their needs at any time.
- Clearly Legended: Buttons on the n-ABLER PRO Trackball are black with high contrast, clearly identifiable legends.
- Assisted Access Buttons: All buttons are recessed into the housing to prevent accidental activation. This positioning also serves as an aid to guide fingers directly to the buttons. This feature, combined with the wide positioning between buttons, greatly reduces the potential for accidental activation.
- Left to Right Switchable: On board programming lets users exchange Left and Right Click functions with no need to access or modify operating system settings.
- Re-Orienting Function: Not all users may find the traditional placement of the trackball to meet their needs. For this reason the n-ABLER PRO can be 'taught' to orient itself to any 90° orientation. This function is performed 'onboard' with no need for driver support.
- External Switch Support: Two 1/8" mini phono plug sockets provide for the attachment of external left and right click buttons for users who may have trouble targeting the inset buttons. Check out our selection of switches that can be used with the n-ABLER PRO Trackball.
- Double Click and Latching Drag Lock: Accomplishing a double-click action is nearly impossible for users with any kind of motor skills limitation. Being able to perform this with a single click is of major benefit for these users. For the same reason, holding down a button for dragging while moving the cursor is just as frustrating. The Drag Lock latches on to a selection until the button is activated a second time to release the latch. This releases the user to focus on the necessary cursor movement, be it selecting text or simply moving something on the screen.
- PAN or Auto Scroll Button: The upper middle button provides users with a simple way to utilize the trackball for scrolling. Simple press this button and the trackball now permits users to scroll in any direction. Pressing any button deactivates the scroll/pan function and returns the trackball to cursor control mode. As with the Double Click and Drag Lock features, this eliminates the need to hold down a button while dragging scroll bars, something very difficult to achieve without full motor control.
- Anti-Tremor Function: The n-ABLER PRO features an "Anti-Tremor" function with 3 setting levels. This can compensate for tremors or muscle spasms, smoothing out the cursor movement for the user.
- Audible and Visual Indicators: A mutable buzzer apprises of a selection change when moving between functions and a multi-coloured LED serves to notify of the currently active mode.
- Cursor Speed Control: The n-ABLER PRO is equipped with a cursor speed control switch that permits users to cycle through 4 cursor speed settings. This lets them choose the speed which best serves their needs and is changeable at any time.
- PS/2 and USB 'Plug and Play' Installation: Installation is a breeze. Simply connect the USB and the trackball will automatically install. If a PS/2 connection is required just attach the adapter, plug it in and start/restart the computer.
- Wired Reliability: The Pretorian n-ABLER Pro employs a wired USB connection which eliminates the potential for wireless to 'drop out' at a crucial moment. It also ensures the fastest communication - eliminating any potential for lag from wireless.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
n-ABLER PRO Trackball
n-ABLER PRO Trackball - Speed control and Switch interface
- Pretorian n-ABLER PRO Trackball User Manual: PDF
- Width: 5.1" (12.9 cm)
- Depth (front to back): 9.2" (23.3 cm)
- Height (to top of rear of casing, highest point on mouse): 2.8" (7.0 cm)
- Height (front of casing): 1.8" (4.6 cm)
- Height (rear of casing): 2.8" (67.2 cm)
- Height (from casing to top of trackball): 0.2" (0.4 cm)
- Diameter of trackball: 2.5" (63 mm)
- Diameter of buttons: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
- Cord length: 79.0" (2.0 m)
Buttons: Black with White Legending
To CPU: USB or PS/2 (USB to PS/2 adapter included)
To switches: 2 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Mini-phono Jacks
PC, Mac, Chromebook
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
- Warranty: 2 years
- Package Contents: n-ABLER PRO Trackball, USB to PS/2 adapter, User Guide
- Load Balance Your Use: The freedom of an ambidextrous trackball lets you easily switch between left and right handed use. Make a point of using it with your non-dominant hand. Not only is this good for your dominant hand, which gets a break from working, it can slowly build dexterity and endurance which your non-dominant hand generally does not have. As a bonus, it is also a way of stimulating the other half of your brain, which is never a bad idea. The n-ABLER PRO trackball permits 'onboard' switching of Left and Right button functions to better accommodate load balancing.
- Take Regular Breaks: If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break by switching to a different device or by swapping to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Some users find that the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing them through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Remember to use the one-touch Double Click, Drag-Lock and PAN/Auto Scroll buttons to obtain optimum benefit from your n-ABLER PRO Trackball.
- If you experience tremors take advantage of the Anti-Tremor button and find the setting which best compensates for the degree of tremor which you experience.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|NAPT|| n-ABLER PRO Trackball, USB with PS/2 adapter. Silver/Black Housing|