| Accessories |
The JAZZ Joystick from Pretorian was designed to address the needs of those who may lack fine motor skills. It can provide standard cursor control as well as switch scanning access. Unlike most other joysticks, the JAZZ is designed to specifically accommodate gross motor movements while providing accurate cursor control and switch scanning. Because the high-quality analogue joystick requires just 0.5 newtons of force to activate it is able to also serve the needs of individuals who also have limited strength in addition to reduced fine motor skills.
The Jazz Joystick has buttons for left click, right click (or double click), and drag lock functions. Dual mini-phono jacks also permit the attachment of external switches to provide easier access to the Left click function and for switching from Mouse Mode to Switch Scanning Mode. Differing needs can be met by changing the control surface between the included standard joystick, t-bar handle, or soft-grip ball. The Jazz can also be easily switched for left-handed operation which swaps the functions of the left and right buttons.
The enhanced cursor control is achieved by only permitting cursor movement to occur when the joystick is moved within a prescribed range of the horizontal and vertical axes (Standard Mode) or standard and diagonal axes (Diagonal Mode). Cursor activation is accompanied by an audible "click" (optional) to provide notification that movement has been achieved. Under standard operation the cursor begins movement slowly, accelerating to the selected maximum speed (4 available). When engaged the optional SmartTrack function modifies this behaviour by considering how long the cursor has been idle, providing more effective cursor control for those who are able to take advantage of this function.
The JAZZ Joystick features a durable heavy duty housing designed to survive heavy use. High contrast coloured buttons and control surfaces aid in determining position and function of the controls. The symmetrical design enables works equally well with either hand without having to angle the wrist. The large, integrated hand support/palm rest makes work posture more relaxed and less strained.
View the User Manual to see more details on making funtion modifications.
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that virtually all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- The JAZZ Joystick is a stationary mousing device. Moving the joystick with the hand or fingers moves the cursor on the screen but the device itself does not move. Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. Many who can benefit from the JAZZ Joystick features already have issues in these areas so any reduction of the amount or degree of movement is of benefit. The JAZZ Joystick design also allows individuals to keep the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation.
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- The JAZZ Joystick requires just 0.5 Newtons of force to activate the cursor. The three control surface options (Joystick, T-Bar, and Ball) mean that the JAZZ Joystick can be effective in countering the tendency individuals may have to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. The three options also ensure that those with strength and grip issues can equip the JAZZ with a grip that is best suited to their needs. Learn More About Static Grip Force.
Assists in Button Access
- The JAZZ Joystick offers inset buttons surrounding the central "stick". This design assists those with limited motor control in targeting the buttons as well as having the accompanying effect of reducing the risk of accidental button activation.
Hardwired Drag Lock Feature Reduces Finger Fatigue
- The hard-wired drag-lock feature allows activation of drag-lock by a simple click. This eliminates the need to hold down the button while dragging the selected item on the computer screen. This greatly simplifies using applications that require significant click-and-drag actions. The drag-lock is released with the press of any button.
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- The JAZZ Joystick features an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows for reduction in the strain on the muscles of the dominant side. Left and Right button functions can be switched with 2 button presses.
- Easy Action, Soft-Start Cursor Control: The JAZZ Joystick provides tactile feedback sufficient to reduce the potential for inadvertent cursor movement. The joystick must first be moved some distance prior to engaging, which is accompanied by an audible click (optional). The cursor begins movement slowly with speed increasing to the preset maximum as the joystick remains engaged.
- SmartTrack Enhanced Cursor Control: The SmartTrack function is an innovative optional feature that can be turned off if not desired. This feature takes into consideration the period of time that the cursor has remained stationary and "adapts" initial movement for what in most cases results in a quicker response and more enjoyable computer interaction. Read more about this feature in the User Manual.
- Switch Scanning Mode: When set to Switch Scanning Mode, the JAZZ Joystick sends scanning information to the device when the joystick is moved in the up, down, left and right directions. With the optional Diagonal Scanning enabled it can also scan in diagonal directions, although this will rarely be required (and is off by default). No scanning steps take place until the angle of movement of the joystick exceeds a preset threshold, at which the unit emits a subtle audible click similar to the sound of a standard mouse click. The scanning then begins in the chosen direction. This required "threshold range" can greatly reduce accidental activations due to small, unintentional movements. The audible click can also be disabled if desired. For more details on Switch Scanning please read the User Manual.
- Ergonomic Design: Pretorian products are designed with the functional requirements or limitations in mind, providing appropriate button positioning, ease of control and necessary hand support for all-round ergonomic benefit.
- Light-Touch Joystick: The joystick on the JAZZ Trackball requires just 0.5 Newtons of force for movement, making it idea for users with strength and mobility limitations.
- Cursor Speed Control: The JAZZ Joystick offers 4 cursor speed settings. This lets each person choose the speed that best serves their needs and is changeable at any time. An audible alert indicates when the speed setting function is activated and deactivated.
- Rugged Construction: Pretorian products are designed with the expectation that they may be subjected to less than ideal conditions. As a result their construction is intended to withstand this type of usage without failure.
- High Visibility Controls: The JAZZ Joystick features large brightly coloured high-contrast buttons and control handles which act as visual aids to assist users who have vision or comprehension difficulties.
- Assisted Access Buttons: All buttons are recessed into the housing to prevent accidental activation. This positioning also serves as an aid to guide fingers directly to the buttons. This feature, combined with the wide positioning between buttons, greatly reduces the potential for accidental activation.
- Large Footprint for Maximum Stability: All Pretorian products are designed to ensure stability. The large footprint of the housing ensures that the devices are not easily knocked off of the surface on which they are situated.
- Symmetrical Design: The housing of the JAZZ Joystick offers the freedom to easily switch between right or left use. Left and Right button functions can be swapped with a couple of button presses.
- Integrated Wrist Support: The JAZZ Joystick offers a large surface on which to rest the heel of the hand. This means that the wrist can be maintained in a neutral position, reducing the risk of wrist extension and also permitting individuals to relax and permit their wrist to rest.
- External Switch Support: Two 1/8" mini phono plug sockets provide for the attachment of an external switches. The left socket simultaneously performs the same functionas the left button. The right socket supports a switch for switching between Mouse Mode and Switch Scanning Mode.
Check out our selection of switches that can be used with the JAZZ Joystick.
- Latching Drag Lock: The middle button engages the Drag Lock which latches on until any of the three buttons is activated, releasing the latch. This permits individuals to focus on the necessary cursor movement, be it selecting text or simply moving something on the screen.
- Wired Reliability: The Pretorian JAZZ Joystick employs a wired USB connection which eliminates the potential for wireless to "drop out" at a crucial moment. It also ensures the fastest communication - eliminating any potential for lag from wireless.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
JAZZ Joystick with T-Bar
JAZZ Joystick with Soft Ball
JAZZ Joystick - Dual Switch Input
JAZZ Joystick - Top View
JAZZ Joystick - Package Contents
- JAZZ Joystick User Manual: PDF
- Case Dimensions:
Width: 4" (10.2 cm)
Depth (front to back): 7.1" (18.0 cm)
- (front of casing): 1.0" (2.6 cm)
- (rear of casing): 2.4" (6.2 cm)
- Overall Height with Optional Controls:
Joystick: 4.2" (10.7
Ball: 5.7" (14.5 cm)
T-Bar: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
- Elevation of Controls (from casing to top):
Joystick: 2.1" (5.4 cm)
T-Bar: 2.5" (6.3 cm)
Ball: 3.5" (9.0 cm)
- Control Dimensions:
Joystick diameter: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
Ball: 2.4" (6.2 cm)
T-Bar: Width - 2.3" (5.9 cm), Depth - 0.7" (1.7 cm)
- Diameter of Buttons: 0.7" (1.8 cm)
- Weight (base unit only): 13.5 oz (384 g)
- Cord Length: 55" (1.4 m)
Left Button: Green
Middle Button: Dark Blue
Right Button: Green
To CPU: USB
To Optional Switches: 2 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Mini-phono Jacks
PC, Mac, Chromebook
Note: The latest release of iOS13 for Apple portable devices includes support for USB Pointing Devices. This means that all of the Pretorian Mouse Replacement solutions can now be used with iPads and iPhones that have iOS13 or newer. Connection to the portable device requires a "camera adapter cable". Because the mousing device will be powered by the phone or tablet it is preferable to use one with pass-through charging so the portable device can charge while the mousing device is attached and in use.
AAC Devices built on a PC platform and equipped with a USB port.
- Warranty: 2 years. For use in domestic, educational, commercial, and light industrial applications. Use in other applications voids the warranty.
- Package Contents: JAZZ Joystick, T-Bar and Ball Grips, User Guide
- Using a joystick is a natural and intuitive movement for most individuals as the cursor moves in response to the direction the joystick is moved. With the Soft-Start cursor movement the cursor will not "jump" quickly and direction can easily be changed before moving too far in the wrong direction.
- Select the Control Handle that best meets your needs. Some will prefer the full grip of the Ball to optimize their control and comfort while others will prefer the traditional Joystick or T-Bar handles. The handle which provides the greatest level of control is most probably the best option as it will generally also generate the least amount of stress.
- Take Regular Breaks: If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers or hand, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break, switch to a different device, or swap to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Sometimes the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Remember to employ the Drag-Lock feature when performing text selection or any drag-and-drop functions.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|JAZZJ|| JAZZ Joystick|