The X-Keys L-Trac Black Trackball from PI Engineering combines a high level optical sensor capable of resolutions up to 1600 CPI (counts per inch) with a robust build and history of durability, reliability and performance, carrying on the legacy of the L-Trac and PC-Trac Trackballs formerly manufactured by Clearly Superior Technologies. The L-Trac features an optical laser sensor that offers "button selectable" tracking resolutions of 400, 800 and 1600 CPI, easily changed on the fly. Combined with this is the ability of the L-Trac to track at speeds exceeding 30 inches per second, even at a 20G acceleration rate. A wide light touch scroll wheel or cylinder is readily accessible, located above the center button. In addition, two 3.5 mm jacks permit the attachment of two external switches which can be programmed to perform an additional two actions, resulting in full 5-button functionality. The programming software can also be used to disable or reassign any or all of the on-board buttons when used with external switches in an assistive application.
The L-Trac provides users with a precision, high performance pointing device. The large 57 mm diameter weighted trackball produces predictable, quick, and precise cursor control. Most users will find that movement becomes intuitive within a few minutes of use, with the level of control increasing over time.
The level of performance and range of features, coupled with the proven contour of the L-Trac makes these trackballs an appropriate option for all applications including general computing, gaming and Computer Aided Design (CAD). CAD users love it because a line can be dragged one pixel even on high resolution displays. Then, with a button stroke, the cursor can fly around the screen to get general tasks done. The L-Trac is known for providing fingertip control and precision, high performance tracking.
Designed to minimize the effects of contamination build up and the resultant degradation of performance, this high performance laser trackball uses highly polished stainless steel rollers. These rollers tend to collect less dirt and debris than the mechanisms used in most other trackballs and are easily cleaned by spinning the ball rapidly.
Uses Less Space Than Conventional Mice
- The stationary nature of the L-Trac trackball also allows you to conserve space on your workspace. It is ideally suited for space restrictive environments or narrower keyboard trays that can accommodate a keyboard with only a few inches extra to spare.
Reduces Strain on Arm, Elbow and Shoulder Muscles
- Like a touchpad, the X-Keys L-Trac Trackball is a stationary mousing device. (Moving the ball with the fingers moves the cursor on the screen.) Limiting the repetitive movements of the arm and shoulder can greatly reduce the potential for injury and inflammation in these muscle groups. The housing of a trackball can also be angled in any direction, allowing the user to keep the elbow, wrist and hand in a straight line, and to limit ulnar and radial deviation. Learn More About Ulnar Deviation
Reduces Strain on the Hand, Wrist and Arm
- Trackballs effectively counter any tendency the user might have to grip the pointing device too hard. This often inadvertent static grip can cause pain and injury to the muscles and soft tissues in the back of the hand and in the wrist and forearm. Trackballs, by requiring a simple spinning motion accomplished with the fingers, eliminate static grip entirely. Learn More About Static Grip Force
Reduces Reach for Buttons
- L-Trac Trackballs have large oversized buttons surrounding the trackball, allowing users to use whichever finger minimizes reach and strain when pressing buttons. The available customizing software allows assignment of functions to whichever button the user desires.
Easily Accessible Scroll Wheel
- The L-Trac Trackball is equipped with a smooth-rolling barrel-like wheel positioned just above the trackball (with a small button between the wheel and the trackball). Movement is very light, with no indexing or detents.
Enables Load Balancing Between Left and Right Hands
- X-Keys L-Trac Trackballs feature an ambidextrous design and can be placed on the left or right side of the keyboard in the traditional desktop layout. They can also be used between the two modules of a separated keyboard, on the arm of a couch, or wherever else the user might find convenient and comfortable. The ability to distribute the workload as desired allows the user to reduce the strain on the muscles of the dominant side.
Large Diameter Weighted Ball
- The 57 mm ball on the L-Trac Trackballs is weighted to provide users with excellent response feedback. With the L-Trac there is no "accidental" movement as users have exceptional control. The weighted ball also supports rapid movement which enables users to accurately adjust cursor position with surprising speed.
Software Driver for Increased Productivity
- X-keys Trackballs work right out of the box, no software is required. If you wish to assign different functions to the buttons the manufacturer recommends using X-Mouse Button Control.
- Universal Compatibility: The universal compatibility of this design means it works well in a multi-user environments with a range of individuals.
- Software for Additional Functionality: X-Keys L-Trac Trackballs support the free Superior-X Button Control for Windows or USB Overdrive for Mac, enabling users to set different button settings depending on the application. This allows control of applications such as media players, directly from the trackball (volume control via scroll wheel, etc.), putting maximum control at your fingertips. Superior-X also allows keystrokes to be recorded and played back with the click of a button, allowing repetitive application tasks to be completed quickly. The software also offers programming support for an additional two external switches where special commands or control are desired.
- Robust Design: Employing strong ABS plastic construction, a virtually indestructible phenolic trackball and stainless steel rollers, X-Keys trackballs are designed with durability a key consideration.
- Multi-Resolution Laser Optical Tracking: The L-Trac is equipped with a laser sensor for precise tracking and control. Users can easily toggle through 400, 800, or 1600 CPI settings to achieve the necessary performance in a matter of seconds without moving their hand from the trackball.
- Wired Reliability: L-Trac Trackballs employ a wired USB connection which eliminates the potential for wireless to "drop out" at a crucial moment. It also ensures the fastest communication - eliminating any potential for "lag" from wireless.
- Low Profile: The L-Trac Trackball's low profile case acts as a natural hand-rest, mirroring the natural contours of the hand.
- Light Touch Scroll Wheel: The optional scroll wheel is smooth and readily accessible, located above the center button.
- 5-Button Functionality: The X-Keys L-Trac is includes two 3.5 mm external switch jacks allowing the connection of 2 additional buttons for a total of 5 buttons (3 built-in, 2 external) for added flexibility.
- Ideal for Gamers and CAD Users: Superior performance coupled with suitable Superior for all applications including general computing, gaming and Computer Aided Design (CAD). CAD users love it because a line can be dragged one pixel even on high resolution displays. Then, with a button stroke, the cursor can fly around the screen to get general tasks done.
- Large Weighted Trackball: The large 57 mm ball provides increased accuracy and control. The weight also enables rapid movement across large distances as it can be "spun".
- Ambidextrous Design: The symmetrical, comfortable design means that both left and right-handed users will be able to enjoy the benefits of the X-Keys L-Trac Trackball.
- Assistive Functionality: The free X-Mouse Button Control programming software can be used to disable or reassign any or all of the on-board buttons when used with external switches in an assistive application.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
L-Trac - Black with Scroll Wheel
L-Trac - Top View
L-Trac - Side View
L-Trac - Profile View
- X-Keys L-Trac Trackball Spec Sheet: PDF
- X-Keys L-Trac Trackball Dimensional Drawing: PDF
- Width: 3.75" (9.5 cm)
- Depth (front to back): 6.75" (17.1 cm)
- Height (to top of case): 1.75" (4.4 cm)
- Ball Diameter: 2.25" (57 mm)
- Ball Elevation From Housing: 0.9" (2.3 cm)
- Ball Type: High density phenolic
- Ball Suspension: Stainless steel rollers
- Bearings: Dupont Delrin with Teflon
- Resolution: User selectable 400, 800, or 1600 DPI (counts per inch)
- Tracking: Laser
- Tracking Speed: >30" per second
- Acceleration: 20 G
- Construction Material (housing): High impact ABS
- Cable: Double shielded USB
- Cable Length: 6.0' (1.8 m)
- Switches: 3 high quality low force stabilized switches rated at 5 million actuations, with over-travel protection.
- External Switch Support: Two 3.5 mm jacks support the addition of 2 additional external switches for expanded control.
- Scroll Wheel: Wide light-touch scroll wheel centered at the top of the trackball housing - just above the small "middle click" button.
PC: 98SE, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
Mac: Mac OS 9.8 (or later)
Linux: most versions
Other: Virtually any system supporting USB 2.0 Full Speed
- Interface: USB 2.0 Full Speed
- Warranty: 1 year
- Package Contents: X-Keys L-Trac Trackball, Paper and CD Quick Start
- If you are new to a trackball expect that it will take a while to get accustomed to the different style of control. It is also a good idea to limit the amount of time you use it in the first while. Rather, build up to longer periods of usage by interchanging with a different mousing device or by Load Balancing (see next point).
- Load Balance Your Use: The freedom of an ambidextrous trackball lets you easily switch between left and right handed use. Make a point of using it with your non-dominant hand. Not only is this good for your dominant hand, which gets a break from working, it can slowly build dexterity and endurance which your non-dominant hand generally does not have. As a bonus, it is also a way of stimulating the other half of your brain, which is never a bad idea.
- Take Regular Breaks: If you find that you are experiencing discomfort in your fingers, especially in the learning stages - that is a good sign that you may want to take a break by switching to a different device or by swapping to the other hand. As with any device, make an effort to regularly change your usage, take breaks, and perform stretches. Some users find that the fingers can benefit from occasionally flexing them through a full range of movement, both extending and contracting them fully.
- Remember to use the on-board DPI settings to improve speed and control when needed.
- The build and design of the L-Trac offers a "race car" style of performance as compared to some other "luxury sedan" trackballs which outwardly appear more refined and may offer a smoother and softer ride. Users looking for a quality, responsive trackball with high performance will appreciate the L-Trac.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|TKB-6015-LBKBK-R|| X-Keys L-Trac Black Trackball, Laser Optical Tracking, Black Case and Ball, 3 Buttons plus 2 jacks for external switches, Scroll Wheel.|
|XK-A-1221-R|| Orby Switch, Green, 2.5" diameter|