| Additional Resources Usage Tips Accessories |
The Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard from Matias is a standard full-size keyboard that offers the option of one-handed typing with either the left or right hand. This is the same functionality as all prior versions of the Half-QWERTY keyboard, now spanning a period of over 20 years. The Pro version now offers the Matias Quiet-Click tactile keyswitches for an improved and more responsive typing experience. Like all prior versions, the Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard is like having two half keyboards in one. Equipped with full-size keycaps and accommodating both left- and right-handed individuals, both halves of the keyboard are able to function independently as a complete keyboard, accommodating anyone requiring single handed input. And, in order to accommodate those who may still require a conventional layout, with the touch of a single key the Half-QWERTY Pro can revert to functioning as a two-handed keyboard. The hardwired programming lets this keyboard function on both PC and Mac operating systems.
Tactile Feedback Reduces Unnecessary Force
- It is important to minimize the force requirement for individuals who are keyboarding with a single hand. Because "all" data is entered using a single hand anything that has the potential to reduce the force being exerted becomes a factor for consideration. Matias now uses their Quiet-Click Tactile Mechanical keyswitches to provide a consistent force level combined with the tactile notification that the key has activated. Tactile response serves to advise the typist that ongoing downward action and force are no longer required.
Reduces Awkward Reaching
- While it is possible to type on a standard keyboard with just a single hand, doing so requires constant repositioning of the hand and will invariably result in awkward stretching to reach keys. The Half-QWERTY keyboard permits the hand being used to remain in a single position, offering access to all keys within the same reach as is normally employed when typing with both hands. Not only does this put less strain on the hands, it also has the potential to significantly reduce time loss arising from changing position to access keys on the other half of a keyboard.
- Accessibility: Ideal for users with hand/arm injuries, one-handedness, hemiplegia, carpal tunnel syndrome, and blindness, especially when used in conjunction with a Braille display.
- Easy to Use: The Half-QWERTY typing technique is very similar to the standard two-handed touch-typing technique. The hand is placed where it would normally be positioned for touch-typing, which takes care of one half of the keyboard. To type the letters of the other half, the space bar is held down with the thumb and the same finger movement that would normally be done with the other hand is used. Tapping the space bar still types a space. The relative finger movements used for one-handed typing are the same as those used for two-handed typing.
- Easy to Learn: For someone who has never learned to type before, learning Half-QWERTY will take roughly the time it would take to learn standard two-handed touch-typing. However, if they are a touch-typist, it is possible to learn Half-QWERTY in a matter of minutes with little or no retraining.
- Flexibility: The Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard allows one-handed typing using either hand, or traditional two-handed typing just like a standard keyboard. The one-handed typing capability can be switched on or off by the typist by using the "half QWERTY lock" key, a dedicated key for turning one-handed typing on and off. Press once for one-handed typing; press twice for two-handed typing. This feature allows others to be able to use the computer.
- Sticky Keys: This is a feature that makes typing modifier-key sequences (e.g. capital letters) easier for one-handed typists in that they no longer have to type the modifier (e.g. Shift, Ctrl, Alt) and the key being modified simultaneously; rather they can be typed in succession. Depressing and releasing a modifier key once makes it active for the next key typed. Pressing it twice locks it until it is unlocked by pressing the modifier again.
- Potential Speed: With practice, Half-QWERTY typists can expect to reach speeds of between 61% and 91% of those achievable by two-handed typists. Typing speeds as high as 64 words per minute have been recorded.
- 3 USB 2.0 Hub Ports: For quickly attaching USB peripherals, nothing beats the convenience of an in-keyboard USB hub. No more reaching through the tangle of wires behind a computer to plug in low-power USB peripherals
- Easy to Read Key Legends: The surface of each key is clearly labelled with all of the characters and functions of both regular and one-handed typing modes for easy reference.
- International Layout Support: Non-US keyboards are a little different. They have an extra key in the lower left corner (right next to the Shift key). While the Half-QWERTY 508 Keyboard does not have this extra key, this function can be performed by typing double-Shift-Z. The keyboard can also remap to whatever layout is desired by simply choosing the desired layout from the appropriate control panel on the computer.
- Plug-and-Play for PC and Mac: The keyboard is plug compatible with a standard keyboard. Just plug it in and you are ready to type. For the Mac, an Enabler software program is included which allows the keyboard to correctly map the Option and Command keys for the Mac. With the Enabler active, the Ctrl/Command key will act as a Command key. Without the Enabler, Ctrl/Command will act as a Control key.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Dual Layered Keys
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Two-Handed Typing
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Left-Handed Typing
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Right-Handed Typing
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Pack Back
Matias Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard - Speed Potential Chart
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|FK302QPC-HQ|| Half-QWERTY Pro Keyboard|