Page last updated: Thu, 18-Apr-2019 14:54:49
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Handshoe Mouse (Original)by Hippus NV
| Additional Resources Usage Tips |
It is a well known fact that neck, shoulder, arm and hand complaints (NSAH) frequently occur in the workplace. Using a conventional computer mouse may result in complaints like tingling, pain and/or swelling of the arms and hands. In some cases, the result can even be restricted rotation of the head.
The Handshoe Mouse from Hippus NV prevents and/or reduces these common complaints to a minimum. After extensive research and years of designing, the manufacturers of the Handshoe Mouse implemented three core ideas into the design of the Handshoe Mouse: 1) by slanting the angle of the mouse downward from the thumb to reduce wrist pronation; 2) by elongating the incline of the mouse slightly from the wrist upward to reduce wrist extension; 3) and by allowing the hand to rest on the mouse in a neutral position to reduce gripping and pinch force, most injuries associated with mousing can be reduced or largely eliminated. By radically redesigning the shape of the standard mouse, the hand no longer has to fit the mouse by constantly gripping it, but the mouse itself can fit the shape of a naturally relaxed hand through contouring. The unique shape of the Handshoe Mouse is not just aesthetically pleasing but has this very important function - to help reduce RSI injuries by keeping the hand and arms as relaxed as possible. Extensive research has shown that the shape and slanted angle of a mousing device provide users more neutral hand positions, so forearm and shoulder muscle activity and the risk of musculoskeletal disorders will be reduced. This reduction in injuries should even increase worker productivity and comfort. Noteworthy features of the Handshoe Mouse include:
- Sculpted body designed to fit hand in a relaxed and slightly angled position, with the rear lightly inclined.
- Three sizes (small, medium, and large) in both right and left handed versions. To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
- Three colour options: black, white, and clear (only black and white currently available).
- Wired and wireless models.
- Small and medium sizes have two buttons (left and right click) and clickable scroll wheel.
- Large size has three buttons (left, right, and middle click) and clickable scroll wheel.
Reduces Wrist Pronation
- The Handshoe Mouse is angled downward from the thumb rest to the opposite side of the mouse at about a 20° angle. This slanting of the mouse has been shown by research to reduce wrist pronation, which can contribute to wrist pain and injuries. Even this slight slanting of the mouse can have a significant impact on the wrist over longer periods of time and is one of the main design requirements incorporated into the Handshoe Mouse.
Reduces Wrist Extension
- Another risk factor that the Handshoe Mouse addresses is wrist extension, which can be made worse with mice that have too high a profile at the rear without gradual inclined support for the wrist. The gently tapered rear of the Handshoe Mouse, however, provides such support through the elongated 'ramp' that allows the hand and arm to gradually incline from the desk to the front buttons, thereby preventing the wrist from excessive extension. It is this specially designed elongated 'ramp' at the rear which helps reduce wrist extension, and by extension, common RSI problems.
Reduces Hand and Arm Fatigue
- The Handshoe Mouse's design requires that the user's work surface be large enough to allow full movement of the arm when moving the mouse while the arm rests on your desk. It is important to use this mouse with your arm resting on the work surface, since the mouse should be moved primarily by arm movement and not hand or wrist movement. In this way, both hand and arm can be used most advantageously, thus reducing any excessive fatigue generated from improper or ill-advised hand and arm movements. Consequently, proper use of the mouse is just as important as proper positioning of the hand on the mouse, since it is both these aspects in conjunction that will give maximum benefits to the user. By transferring much of the force required for mousing to the stronger muscles of the arm instead of the weaker muscles of the wrist or hand, the overall workload can be distributed in the most economical and ergonomical way.
Reduces Shoulder and Neck Injuries
- Slanting the mouse by about 20° can reduce not only injuries due to pronation but even those associated with the neck and shoulders.
- Sculpted Body Shape: The sculpted design of the Handshoe Mouse's body allows for the hand to comfortably rest on the mouse without having to grip or pinch the sides in order to move it. In addition, the mouse slants slightly from the thumb groove to the small finger's edge by about 20°. It also inclines downward towards the elongated rear of the mouse to reduce wrist extension. All these design elements are combined in such a way as to provide maximum ergonomic benefits while maintaining an attractive and stylish look.
- Three sizes for both left and right hands: Because the Handshoe Mouse is designed to fit your hand, it must be able to Accommodate different hand sizes and come in both a left and right hand version. Thus there are six different mice models available, with hands sizes (left and right) corresponding to hands measured from the tip of the ring finger to the wrist crease in large (210 mm or 8.25"), medium (190 mm or 7.5"), and small sizes (170 mm or 6.75"). Note: we currently stock right-hand sizes only - left-hand sizes are manufactured on demand and cost up to four times the amount. To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
- Three colour options: The Handshoe Mouse is available in white, black, or transparent colours (current stock is only available in white or black, however).
- Wired and wireless models: In order to Accommodate the widest range of working environments possible, there are both wired and wireless versions of the Handshoe Mouse. The wired model has a cord that plugs into your computer at one end (standard USB port) and into the mouse itself at the other end (smaller USB port). The wireless version's batteries can be recharged using the USB cable.
- Two buttons for small and medium sizes: Both small and medium sizes of the Handshoe Mouse have two tactile switches corresponding to left and right mouse clicks. Between these is a clickable scroll wheel (slightly smaller than a standard scroll wheel). Handshoe Mouse Functions
- Three buttons for large size: The large size of the Handshoe Mouse has three tactile switches corresponding to left, right, and middle mouse clicks. The third switch requires a lighter tactile force to activate than the other two standard switches. Handshoe Mouse Functions
- Rechargeable battery: The Wirelss version of the Handshoe Mouse uses a rechargeable Lithium battery. Battery life will vary depending on usage, number of recharges, etc. It is generally best to wait to recharge until the blue LED shows via the Scroll Wheel, indicating that the battery is getting low. Generally a 3-hour charge will return the battery to maximum capacity.
- Variable weight: The weight of the Handshoe Mouse can be lessened slightly by removing metal weights housed in the interior of the mouse. The weights located in the outer chamber in the underside are specifically there to allow the user to reduce the weight of the mouse. Research by Hippus NV determined the pivot weights for the various sizes, although they do not actively promote this feature of the mouse. However, if some users prefer a slightly lighter mouse, then it is very easy to just remove a few weights.
Note: to comfortably handle an object, it needs to have a certain weight.
If an object is too light, extensor and flexor muscles have to continuously compensate for this, with the result that these muscles become overactive. This is highly counter productive when one aims to provide optimal relaxation to these muscles.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Proper handling - forearm resting on surface
Improper handling - forearm raised above surface
Proper grip - fingers and thumb relaxed
Improper grip - thumb pinched back
Improper grip - hand 'clawing' the mouse
Handshoe Mouse - front view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - front view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - back view of black model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model
Hand positioning on the white medium corded model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model - side view
Handshoe Mouse - main features
Handshoe Mouse - sizing chart
New 3D Interactive Virtual Product
- Width: Small: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
Medium: 4.875" (12.4 cm)
Large: 5.375" (13.6 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): Small: 5.875" (14.9 cm)
Medium: 6.625" (16.8 cm)
Large: 7.25" (18.4 cm)
- Height: (info unavailable)
- Weight (wired and wireless): Small: 4.2 oz
Medium: 7.0 oz
Large: 8.8 oz (250 grams)
- Hand sizes: To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
Small: 6.75" (17.0 cm)
Medium: 7.5" (19.0 cm)
Large: 8.25" (21.0 cm)
- Buttons: Handshoe Mouse Functions
2 for small and medium; 3
- Optical resolution: Blue Ray Track models:
(discontinued): 800 DPI
- Range (wireless version only): 32.8' (10 m)
- Available colours: Blue Ray Track model:
Old model: White, black,
- Compatibility: PC: Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7
Mac: Mac OS 9, OS X
There are no drivers available for any OS.
- Interface: USB 1.1 (USB 2.0 ports can Accommodate USB 1.1 devices)
- Warranty: 1 year.
- Troubleshooting: After extensive testing
it would appear that the
Handshoe Mouse WILL NOT work
with a generic USB to PS2
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|HS-210-R-C-WHT|| Large, right handed, corded
|Receiver|| Replacement receiver for Cordless Handhoe Mouse (orignal model)|
|HSMC|| Replacement cable for Handshoe Mouse|
|8DG55-001-RET|| Black, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-002-RET|| Blue, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-003-RET|| Red, Retail Packaging|
|8DC31-RET|| Clear, Retail Packaging|
|8DGW55-RET|| White, Retail Packaging|
|8DG55-HIP|| Black with Hippus logo, Bulk Packaging|