| Additional Resources Accessories |
The Universal ArmSupport from Contour Design offers relief to the shoulders and upper back. Mountable to any flat surface from 1" to 1.75" in thickness, the Universal ArmSupport provides support for the weight of arms, significantly lessening the load on the muscles of the shoulders and upper back while reducing the potential for fatigue, inflammation and pain in these muscle groups.
The Universal ArmSupport is especially suitable for non-traditional standing or leaning postures where there are no chair armrests to provide support. It is compatible with most standard style keyboards (i.e. those with a straight front without integrated palm supports), central pointing devices, and most mice with the symmetrical contours meaning it works for both left and right-handed use. The curved front wraps the arm supports around the torso to better position the support below the shoulders.
The Universal ArmSupport features a thick layer of foam that is supportive but still highly responsive to weight, easily contouring to eliminate pressure points. The leather-like surface is supple but still permits the arms to move with minimal resistance. The rounded water-fall edges eliminate any sharp edges. The rigid steel mounting plate can comfortably support up to 18 pounds and is secured to the surface using a unique tool-free clamping system that offers over 2 inches of mounting depth adjustment. No surface modifications are required and installation can be done in under five minutes.
Note: Arm and hand support solutions that elevate the hand above the mousing surface can subtly change hand placement on some specialized mousing devices, potentially affecting the manner in which the hand interacts with the devices and possibly limiting the ergonomic benefits generally associated with them. With some products these changes may be more significant than with others. Please call to speak with a Customer Service Specialist to discuss the compatibility of this product with the intended pointing device.
Reduces Strain on Upper Back and Shoulders
- The Universal ArmSupport relieves the burden on the muscles of the shoulders and upper back, bearing up to 18 lbs of weight which would otherwise be exerting continuous strain during typing. During lengthy or repeated work sessions, these smaller upper body muscles can become fatigued and inflamed. The Universal ArmSupport can greatly reduce this strain, and give previously overtaxed muscle groups an opportunity to relax and recover.
Can Reduce Fatigue in the Arms and Hands
- When static tension in the shoulders and upper back muscles is alleviated, blood flow through the tissues of the arms and hands improves, reducing the risks of inflammation, pain and injury.
Prevents Inadvertent Wrist Extension
- The depth and elevation of the Universal ArmSupport prevent typists from dropping the heels of their hands to the desk top when typing. Preventing this bend at the wrist creates a healthier, neutral alignment of the hand and arm that can alleviate or prevent the development of painful conditions such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Learn More About Wrist Extension.
Provides Pressure-Free Support
- With the Universal ArmSupport, the weight of the forearm and wrist is distributed over a much greater surface area than is possible with a more traditional wrist rest or palm support, significantly reducing the possibility of uncomfortable pressure points. The soft, molded waterfall design also eliminates sharp pinch or pressure points where the underside of the forearms would meet the edge of the desk.
- With insufficient arm support, individuals can tend to hunch forward, especially when concentrating, or as they tire during a lengthy work session. The result is prolonged overextension of the muscles of the upper back, and at the rear of the shoulders and neck. Repeated periods of overextension in these muscle groups can cause pain and inflammation, and can lead to unhealthy tightening of the muscles in the chest. The Universal ArmSupport helps them avoid this hunched posture, allowing the spine to maintain the orthopedically stable "S" curve that keeps the muscles of the upper body in healthy balance.
- Symmetric: The symmetric design accommodates both right- and left-handed indivuals, with the arm supports on both sides providing the same degree of support.
- Soft Cushioning: A thick layer of foam offers excellent support while still providing a very comfortable level of cushioning and the rounded edges ensure that there are no sharp edges or pressure points. The supple, imitation leather cover offers minimal resistance when arms are moved across the surface.
- Tool-Free Mounting: The Universal ArmSupport is equipped with brackets and hand-tightened wing bolts that secure the ArmSupport in place without any drilling or modification to the mounting surface.
- Adjustable Mounting Depth: The clamping system offers over 2" of mounting depth adjustment, with mounting surface overlaps between 1.0" and 3.25" achievable.
- Easy to Clean: The leatherette surface can easily be wiped down as required.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Universal ArmSupport - Profile View
Universal ArmSupport - Top View
Universal ArmSupport & Balance Keyboard
Universal ArmSupport - Tool Free Installation
Universal ArmSupport - Keeps Wrists Neutral
Universal ArmSupport - Reduces Strain on Shoulders
Universal ArmSupport - In Use
- Avoid using the Universal ArmSupport with non-standard keyboards. If your keyboard has a curved front edge, or has integrated palm supports, you will likely find that you have to reach too far forward to access the keys, creating tension in the muscles of the back, shoulders and neck. Attempting to use the Universal ArmSupport with a non-standard keyboard risks recreating one of the problems the product was designed to address.
- Experiment with the adjustable mounting depth. The Universal ArmSupport can be mounted to provide a surface overhang anywhere between 1.0" and 3.25". Try different settings to find the one that offers the best balance of keyboard access and shoulder relief.
- Use the Universal ArmSupport as intended. Do not attempt to brace yourself against the support to lift yourself out of your chair.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|UNIVERSAL-AS|| Universal ArmSupport, 0.875" Thick|