Page last updated: Fri, 20-Apr-2018 15:03:02
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboardby SolidTek
| Additional Resources Accessories |
At just under 12” wide, and without a built-in numeric keypad to obstruct access to the mouse, the Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard from SolidTek is designed to help users reduce the risk of overreach injuries to the tissues of the neck, shoulders and upper back. The alpha-numeric keys and the arrow keys are the same size as those on a standard keyboard, and the keyboard includes an embedded numeric keypad (activated by the NumLock key) and a two-port USB 2.0 hub. However, the size of the surrounding keys — the Tab key, the modifier and Delete keys, and the keys on the Function row — have been reduced in size to help achieve the keyboard's narrow design.
The scissor-switch keys, similar in look and feel to those used in laptop keyboards, contribute to the keyboard's low profile housing and its light weight. The key cap tops are flat rather than contoured to the fingers, and the key travel distance (i.e. the distance the keys must travel before striking the inside surface of the keyboard) is as low as it is on most laptops.
Note: Those accustomed to typing by feel, rather than by sight, may find that uniformly flat key caps reduce their keying accuracy. Note also that the keyboard has a slight positive incline, in spite of its low profile (i.e. it is 0.7” higher at the back than at the front). In general, a neutral (flat), or negative incline is advisable for those experiencing pain in the backs of the hands, wrists, or forearms.
Reduces Risk of Overuse Injury to the Shoulders and Neck
- The reduced width of the Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard allows users to avoid having to reach out to the side whenever they use the mouse. By enabling the mouse to be operated from within the user's Comfort Zone, the Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard helps to prevent repetitive strain injuries (RSI) to the muscles on the mousing side.
Prevents Pronounced Wrist Extension
- The Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard is approximately 0.5” high at the front. This low profile helps users reduce extension at the wrist (provided, of course, that the keyboard is positioned at the correct height for the user). Note that due to the keyboard's slight positive incline, those with pain or discomfort resulting primarily from wrist extension may need to make additional modifications to the workstation.
- Standard Sized Number Keys: The row of numeric keys along the top of the keyboard are standard sized, offering convenient and sufficient access to numbers for the majority of users.
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: An embedded numeric keypad, activated by the NumLock key, allows users to generate ASCII codes and special characters as well as numbers. The embedded numeric keypad is indicated by blue legending. (See Usage Tips for information on using the embedded numeric keypad.)
- Two-Port USB 2.0 Hub: The ASK-3001H provides two USB 2.0 ports to connect devices such as a mouse or a standalone numeric keypad.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard
Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard - top view
Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard - 2 port USB 2.0 Hub
- Width: 11.81" (29.9 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): 5.91" (15.0 cm)
- Height: 0.71" (1.8 cm)
- Weight: 1.32 lbs (600 grams)
- Keyswitch Type: Scissor switch membrane
- Keyswitch Rating: 5 million actuations
- Number of Keys: 88
- Key Pitch: 0.75" (1.905 cm)
- Keyswitch Travel Distance: 3.0 ± 0.5 mm
- Peak Force: 55g ± 15g
- Compatibility: Windows (32 and 64 bit)
- Interface: USB 2.0
- Cord Length: 5' (1.5 m)
- Warranty: 1 Year Limited
- Package Contents: Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard
- The embedded numeric keypad has a toggle on/toggle off design. With NumLock toggled on, the blue legended keys will generate numbers. With NumLock toggled off, the blue legended keys generate letters.
- To activate the embedded numeric keypad, press and release the blue-legended NumLock key. The green light at the top right of the keyboard will illuminate. Type numbers using the blue-legended keys. To deactivate the embedded numeric keypad, press and release the NumLock key again. (Note that most computers are configured to boot up with NumLock off by default.)
- To temporarily override the embedded numeric keypad—without deactivating it—press and hold the blue legended Fn key as you use any of the blue legended keys to generate a letter.
- Users who would like to add a standalone numeric keypad to their workstation alongside the Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard are advised to consider one of the following compatible products: the Goldtouch Numeric Keypad (GTC-0077), the Kinesis Low Force Tactile Numeric Keypad (AC210USB-BLK), and most XKeys keypads from PI Engineering. NOTE: These keypads have a significantly higher housing than the ASK-3001H.
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|ASK-3001H|| Scissor-Switch Compact Keyboard|
|SK3001H|| Part number discontinued. Product is now known as ASK-3001H.|