Page last updated: Wed, 01-Oct-2014 14:59:46
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Freestyle2 Convertible Keyboardby Kinesis Corporation
The Kinesis Freestyle2 Keyboard is one of the most versatile keyboards currently available. This low-profile keyboard is divided into two separate parts or modules connected by a 9" cable, and is dramatically thinner and more portable than the original version. The modular design allows the user to configure the keyboard in its optimal orientation, either by splaying the modules at any angle or by adjusting the distance between the modules up to 9". Different accessory kits can be purchased to provide additional keyboard configuration options, including tenting the modules at set angles of elevation, or adding a discrete matching numeric keypad. Models available (in both English and French Canadian dual-legended) are the standard Freestyle2 with a 9" separation cable and also a model with a 20" separation cable.
The VIP3 Accessory Kit for the Freestyle2 allows the user to create adjustable lateral sloping or tenting of the keyboard modules at 5°, 10° or 15°. Palm supports are included with this kit and must be attached in order to use the tenting mechanism. If a tenting mechanism without integrated palm supports is desired or more suitable given other elements of the workstation, choose the V3 Accessory Kit which offers tenting of 5°, 10° and 15°. NOTE: The V3 Accessory Kit is not compatible with the optional Palm Supports.
The more specialized Ascent Accessory Kit provides two multi-angle tenting modules which attach to the underside of the keyboard's two modules.
If you require a discrete numeric keypad, the Freestyle2 keypad seamlessly matches the low-profile design of the Freestyle2 keyboard and features the same proven low-force, quiet and tactile membrane key switches. If a more heavy duty durable option is desired, the Kinesis Low Force Tactile Numeric keypad features a wider and higher profile that incorporates a low-force tactile mechanical key switch with a longer operating life. For more information see our Keypads category.
NOTE: With full separation on the 9" cable model, the distance between index finger to index finger on the home row is around 14".
- The Freestyle2 has a dramatically thinner design than most ergonomic keyboards, including the original Freestyle Solo, at a height of only 7/8". This thinner design makes the Freestyle2 highly portable and helps reduce wrist extension.
- Up to 9" of complete separation of both left and right keyboard modules. Unlike many ergonomic keyboards which offer only splay, now individuals can realize full benefits from actual physical separation of the modules.
- The two keyboard halves can be connected together by attaching the included flexible Pivot Tether which provides an infinite range of splay or 'split'. Redesigned for the Freestyle2, the simple slide release buttons allow the quick attachment or removal of the pivot tether.
- With the VIP3 and V3 accessories, tenting angles of 5°, 10° and 15° can be achieved. With the Ascent accessory, tenting is 20° to 90° at 10° intervals.
- Most keyboards, even ergonomic models, have a 10° positive slope from the back edge to the front edge. These designs can create wrist extension and discomfort as one has to bend your wrists to reach 'up' the keyboard. The Freestyle2 has a sleek, low profile design with 0° slope that minimizes the height and keycaps which are negatively inclined at 10°, effectively creating a negative slope and reducing wrist extension.
- At only 15.375" wide, the Freestyle2 provides for close placement of any pointing device, keeping you in your comfort zone and reducing discomfort that may be caused by overreaching. A right-handed user on a conventional keyboard has to reach 10-12" for their mouse. On the Freestyle2 this reach is reduced to less than half that amount.
Atlas Ergonomics White Paper
- This white paper provides a complete overview of an intensive five-month study conducted by Atlas Ergonomics that reviewed the impact of the Freestyle keyboard’s unique split design on posture, comfort, and performance among approximately 80 software manufacturing employees. The study focused on the positions of the hands and upper extremities during keyboard use.
Here are the highlights:
- 92% of participants used the Freestyle in a totally split configuration as opposed to splayed (i.e. both modules connected together)
The Freestyle benefits a wide range of body types. The degree of ulnar deviation was reduced across all BMI levels and body types. The data clearly shows a dramatic effect for participants of all sizes (percent improvement: 41-78% left hand; 72-81% right hand)
There was no loss of performance measured for participants throughout the length of the study
At the end of the study 96% of participants preferred the Freestyle over their previous keyboard
Click here for the full study.
- Portable Design: The Freestyle2 has a dramatically thinner design than most ergonomic keyboards, including the original Freestyle Solo, at a height of only 7/8". This thinner design makes the Freestyle2 highly portable.
- Narrow Foot Print for Comfortable Mousing and Keying: At only 15.375" wide the Freestyle2 provides for close placement of any pointing device reducing over reach issues.
- Accommodates Everyone: From small to tall and body types in between, the Freestyle2 allows for maximum flexibility catering to each individual's unique needs.
- Sleek, Ultra-Low Profile Design: Most keyboards including ergonomic models have a 10° positive slope from front to back. The Freestyle2 has a 0° slope which minimizes the height, effectively creating negative slope.
- Adjustable/Separated Keyboard: The Freestyle2 is a separated keyboard connected by a 9" (or 20") cable, allowing you to separate the two halves of the keyboard up to 9" (or 20"). The separated halves can also be joined together with a Pivot Tether, allowing the keyboard to be splayed at the joint.
- VIP3 Accessory: You can add the optional VIP3 accessory to the Freestyle2 to create tenting of the keyboard halves by 5°, 10° or 15°. The VIP3 accessory is comprised of two parts: detachable wrist supports with replaceable palm pads, and tenting mechanisms. This provides users with the option of using the keyboard flat on the surface with the wrist supports in place OR tented at 5°, 10° or 15° with the both the palm supports and tenting mechanisms employed. NOTE: Although the palm supports can be used alone without the VIP3's tenting mechanism, they must be attached when using the VIP3's tenting mechanism.
- Ascent Accessory: You can add the optional Ascent accessory to the Freestyle2 to create tenting of the keyboard halves by 20° to 90° (in 10° increments). The Ascent accessory can also be used with the optional palm supports, which are particularly suitable at angles of 20°, 30° and 40°. A linking plate may be used to connect the two tenting modules if desired. Tenting angles may be independently set for each tenting module in the range of 20° to 90°, in 10° increments. Left or right separation is limited only by the length of the keyboard's linking cable. The standard 9" separation cable may work for some users, but the 20" linking cable is generally recommended for greater flexibility.
- V3 Accessory: You can add the optional V3 accessory to the Freestyle2 to create tenting of the keyboard halves by 5°, 10° or 15°. The V3 accessory cannot be used in conjunction with the palm supports.
- Palm Supports: Palm supports come as part of the VIP3 accessory or can be added as an accessory by themselves. They cannot, however, be attached to the V3 accessory.
- Want both palm supports and tenting? Get the VIP3 accessory.
- Want just tenting and no palm supports? Get the V3 accessory.
- Want just the palm supports? Get the Palm Support accessory which includes optional lycra-covered foam pads for extra comfort.
- Hot Keys: Driverless Hot Keys are provided for commonly used mouse actions: Internet Forward, Back, Undo, Web Home, Cut, Copy and Paste. In addition, the FN and Application keys have switched positions on the Freestyle2 due to customer feedback. (A new vertical raised ridge has also been added to the inside column of the Hot Keys to provide tactile notification to the user.)
- Double-Wide Keys: The keyboard employs double-wide Delete and Escape keys, providing an easier target for fingers to locate. On the bottom edge of the Delete key, a new horizontal ridge has been added for tactile notification to the user, which also helps distinguish the Delete and Back Space keys.
- Pivot Tether: Both modules can be connected together by attaching the included the flexible Pivot Tether allowing an infinite range of splay.
- Slide Release Button: Each keyboard module incorporates a slide release button that allows quick attachment and detachment of the pivot tether.
- Familiar Key Layout: Familiar key layout results in minimal adaptation time.
- Quiet, Tactile Key Switches: The Freestyle2 utilizes a quiet, low-force, tactile membrane key switch. Rated at 10 million actuations the Freestyle2 will provide years of comfortable typing. As the maximum key force of the key switches are 45 grams, the Freestyle2 keys require at least 25% less force than most traditional and many ergonomic keyboards (with maximum key forces of over 80 grams in some cases).
- Embedded Numeric Keypad: The compact design of the Freestyle2 eliminates the traditional numeric keypad on the right-hand side of the keyboard. In its place, the right half of the keyboard contains an embedded numeric keypad, giving you full access to a numeric keypad when needed (Here are instructions on how to activate the embedded numeric keypad). Simply press the "Fn" key to toggle between the embedded 10 number-key (when Num Lock is on) and the navigation keys (When Num Lock is off). If preferred, two different discrete numeric keypad accessories for intensive number crunchers are available.
- Volume Control and Calculator Keys: Embedded Volume Up, Down, Mute and Calculator keys.
- English or French Canadian Layout: The layout of the Freestyle Solo comes in either US English ( KB700PB-US ) or French Canadian ( KB700PB-FC ). If you don't know how to access the French Canadian characters in the French Canadian layout, click here to find out.
|Images(Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Freestyle2 - Compact configuration
Freestyle2 - Splayed configuration
Freestyle2 - With 20" separation cable
Freestyle2 with VIP3 accessory
Freestyle2 with V3 accessory
Freestyle2 with Ascent accessory
Freestyle2 with Palmrest accessory
Freestyle Palm Rest accessory
Freestyle2 side profile
Side profile comparison between Freestyle2 and original Freestyle Solo
Freestyle2 key layout
Freestyle2 - French Canadian Key Layout
Freestyle2 - French Canadian Version
New 3D Interactive Virtual Product
- Width: 15.375" (39.0 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back): 7.25" (18.4 cm)
(10.0" [25.4 cm] with
- Height: 0.875" (2.2 cm)
- Weight: 1.95 lbs (885 grams)
- Keyswitch Type: High quality quiet tactile
- Keyswitch Rating: 10 million actuations
- Number of Keys: 94
- Key Pitch: 0.75" (1.9 cm)
- Cable Length: 9" or 20"
(15.2 cm or 50.8 cm)
- Interface: USB only
- Warranty: 2 years
- Key Activation Force: 44 grams
- Compatibility: All versions of Windows including Windows 8 (32 & 64)
- Legends: Pad Printed with a clear UV coating
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|KB800PB-US|| US English layout keyboard,
standard 9" separation|
|KB800PB-US-20|| US English layout,
standard 20" separation|
|KB820PB-US|| US English layout, standard 9" separation with VIP3 Accessory installed|
|KB830PB-US|| US English layout, standard 9" separation with V3 Accessory installed|
|KB800PB-FC|| French Canadian layout (bilingual),
standard 9" separation|
|KB800PB-FC-20|| French Canadian layout (bilingual),
standard 20" separation|
|AC820-BLK|| VIP3 Accessory with palm supports, black|
|AC730-BLK|| Kinesis Freestyle V3 Accessory Kit, Black|
|AC740-BLK|| Ascent Accessory
with linking plate, black|
|AC806PS-BLK|| Palm Support Accessory with Palm Pads, black|
|AC700PP-BLK|| Palm Pads Only, black|
|AC210USB-BLK|| Kinesis Low Force Tactile Numeric Keypad,
black, for PC|
|AC800HPB-US|| Kinesis Freestyle2 Keypad for PC, USB, Black|
|AC803PT-BLK|| Replacement pivot tether for Freestyle2, black|