Page last updated: Thu, 25-Aug-2016 09:56:17
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Handshoe Mouse (BlueRay Track with Light Click Force)by Hippus NV
| Additional Resources Usage Tips |
The Handshoe Mouse from Hippus NV is available in multiple sizes for both right and left hands. The Handshoe Mouse is designed to fit the hand like a glove - eliminating gripping, pinching, and tensing of the fingers. The unique shape of the mouse permits the hand and fingers to completely relax while not actively mousing, helping to reduce the risk of RSI. With multiple size options - 4 for the Right and 3 for the Left - anyone can receive full support of the hand, wrist and fingers while actively mousing. The recommended usage for this mouse is on the desk surface with the forearm fully supported by the desk or arm rest of the chair.
The Handshoe Mouse does not require any passive muscle tension or use, and prevents users from excessive muscle exertion while actively using the mouse, making it the only mouse on the market that is almost impossible to use incorrectly. The waterfall design of the Handshoe Mouse provides a resting support for the fingers, allowing them to relax between clicks. This eliminates the negative effects from an anticipation of the click which on traditional mice results in raised, hovering fingers as well as overexertion and overextension of the extensor muscles. The design also incorporates a thumbrest which supports the thumb in a neutral and relaxed fashion making the Handshoe Mouse a good option for those experiencing thumb-related issues such as DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitus.
The optical tracking uses advanced BlueRay Track technology combined with a 1500 DPI sensor which will work on almost any surface. Two light click force buttons (three on the large model) and a scroll wheel provide standard "Plug-and-Play" mouse functions. The Handshoe Mouse is also available in a rechargeable wireless model.
Due to the greater amount of weight resting on a Handshoe Mouse (larger mouse, weight of hand and part of forearm) it is recommended that a firm, low friction mousing surface be used to reduce the effort required to move it.
Handshoe Mouse Sizing Guide.
Eliminates Static Grip Force
- The anatomically derived design with full base surround encapsulates the hand completely, preventing the user from 'gripping' or 'pinching' the mouse. The shape and sculpting effectively harness the force of gravity on the hands alone to give the user full mouse control without requiring any static grip force.
- The Handshoe Mouse creates a sloped position of the hand which reduces pronation by 20° (the hand when on the mouse is sloped with the thumb higher than the fifth finger). This slanting of the mouse has been shown by research to reduce wrist pronation, which can contribute to wrist pain and injuries.
Reduces Wrist Extension
- Another risk factor that the Handshoe Mouse addresses is wrist extension, which can be made worse with mice that have too high a profile at the rear without gradual inclined support for the wrist. The gently tapered back of the Handshoe Mouse, however, provides such support through the elongated 'ramp' that allows the hand and arm to gradually incline from the desk to the front buttons, preventing the wrist from excessive extension. This ramp also prevents users from planting the base of their palm and wiggling the mouse using their wrist and fingers as a methodology for moving the cursor which is another potential source of injury.
Reduces Potential for 'Anticipation of the Click' and Eliminates Finger Extension
- The 'waterfall' shape of the buttons means that the fingers are in a relaxed, curled 'position of function' when resting on the Handshoe Mouse. No 'hovering' or 'stretching' movement of the fingers or thumbs is ever required on this mouse.
Reduces Hand and Arm Fatigue
- The Handshoe Mouse's design requires that the work surface or chair arm provide support while using this mouse. This is to avoid placing the weight of the forearm on the base of the palm, and to facilitate load balancing of movement between the wrist, arm and elbow. By transferring much of the force required for mousing to the stronger muscles of the arm instead of the weaker muscles of the wrist or hand, the overall workload can be distributed in the manner most appropriate for the user.
- Sculpted Body Shape: The design elements that make the Handshoe Mouse ergonomic are combined in such a way as to provide maximum ergonomic benefits while maintaining an attractive and stylish look. Many users have commented that it almost looks organic, and bears some similarities in appearance to a Manta Ray.
- Multiple Sizes (4 Right-Handed and 3 Left-Handed): Because the Handshoe Mouse is designed to fit the hand, it must be able to accommodate different hand sizes and come in both a left and right handed version. As a consequence there are seven distinct models available, with hand sizes (left and right) corresponding to hands measured from the tip of the ring finger to the wrist crease. To determine which size is appropriate for the hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
- Two Buttons for Extra-Small, Small and Medium Sizes: The Extra-Small, Small and Medium sizes of the Handshoe Mouse have two tactile switches corresponding to left and right mouse clicks. Between these is a clickable scroll wheel (slightly smaller than a standard scroll wheel).
- Three Buttons for Large Size: The Large size of the Handshoe Mouse has three tactile switches corresponding to left, right, and middle mouse clicks.
- Variable Weight: The weight of the Handshoe Mouse can be reduced slightly if desired by removing metal weights housed in a special outer compartment on the bottom of the mouse. The weights located in the outer chamber in the underside are specifically there to allow the user to reduce the weight of the mouse. Research by Hippus NV determined the ideal weights for the various sizes. However, if some users prefer a slightly lighter mouse, then it is very easy to just remove a few weights.
Note: To comfortably handle an object, it needs to have a certain weight. If an object is too light, extensor and flexor muscles have to continuously compensate for this, with the result that these muscles become overactive. This is highly counter productive when one aims to provide optimal relaxation to these muscles.
- Wired and Wireless Models: In order to accommodate the widest possible range of working environments, there are both wired and rechargeable wireless versions of the Handshoe Mouse.
Note The Extra Small for the Right hand is only available in a Wired model.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Proper handling - forearm resting on surface
Improper handling - forearm raised above surface
Proper grip - fingers and thumb relaxed
Improper grip - thumb pinched back
Improper grip - hand 'clawing' the mouse
Handshoe Mouse - front view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of white model
Handshoe Mouse - front view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - side view of black model
Handshoe Mouse - back view of black model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model
Hand positioning on the white medium corded model
Hand positioning on the black medium corded model - side view
Handshoe Mouse - main features
Handshoe Mouse - sizing chart
HandshoeMouse WowPad Accessory
New 3D Interactive Virtual Product
Extra Small: 3.75" (9.5 cm)
Small: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
Medium: 4.875" (12.4 cm)
Large: 5.375" (13.6 cm)
- Depth (front-to-back):
Extra Small: 5.125" (13.0 cm)
Small: 5.875" (14.9 cm)
Medium: 6.625" (16.8 cm)
Large: 7.25" (18.4 cm)
- Height: Varies by size
- Weight (wired and wireless):
Extra Small: 2.75 oz (78 grams)
Small: 4.2 oz (120 grams)
Medium: 7.0 oz (200 grams)
Large: 8.8 oz (250 grams)
- Hand sizes: To determine which size is appropriate for your hand, see the Handshoe Mouse sizing chart.
Extra Small: Up to 6.1" (15.5 cm)
Small: 6.1" -6.9" (15.5 - 17.5 cm)
Medium: 6.9" -7.7" (17.5 - 19.5 cm)
Large: 7.7" - 8.5" (19.5 - 21.5 cm)
2 for Xsmall, Small and Medium (Left Click, Right Click)
3 for Large (Left Click, Right Click, Middle Click)
- Optical resolution: 1500 DPI
- Colour: Black
- Compatibility: PC: Windows (all versions)
Mac: Mac OS 9, OS X
There are no drivers available for any OS.
- Interface: USB 1.1 (USB 2.0 ports can accommodate USB 1.1 devices)
Note: After extensive testing it would appear that the Handshoe Mouse WILL NOT work with a generic USB to PS2 adapter.
- Button force: 55 grams ± 5 grams
- Warranty: 3 year warranty
- Package Contents: Handshoe Mouse, USB Connection Cord, Premium Cloth Storage Satchel, User Guide
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|XS2WB|| Extra Small, right handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|S2WB-LC|| Small, right handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|M2WB-LC|| Medium, right handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|L2WB-LC|| Large, right handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LS2WL|| Small, left handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LM2WL|| Medium, left handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LL2WL|| Large, left handed, corded, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|S2UB-LC|| Small, right handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|M2UB-LC|| Medium, right handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|L2UB-LC|| Large, right handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LS2UL|| Small, left handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LM2UL|| Medium, left handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|LL2UL|| Large, left handed, cordless, light click force buttons, BlueRay Track Technology|
|HSMC|| Replacement cable for Handshoe Mouse|
|8DG55-HIP|| Wow!Pad 8.5" circular format, Graphite with Hippus Logo, Bulk Packaging|
|8DG55001-RET|| Wow!Pad 8.5" circular format, graphite|
|8DG55002-RET|| Wow!Pad 8.5" circular format, blue|
|8DG55003-RET|| Wow!Pad 8.5" circular format, red|
|8DC31-RET|| Microthin 8.5" Circular Clear Wowpad, 0.015" thick, non-skid backing, special effortless glide "textured" surface, Retail Packaging|
|8DGW55-RET|| White, Retail Packaging|