Page last updated: Wed, 24-May-2017 09:07:57
ErgoCanada - Detailed Specification Page
| Back to Previous Page |
Locus Seatby Focal Upright Furniture
| Usage Tips |
The Locus Seat is the 'next generation' of lean-to (or -into) stools. Its unique design permits forward and backward movement via a secure 'pivot point' and integrated foot platform. Rather than just reducing the workload on the legs by taking the weight of the upper body (which traditional lean-to stools accomplish), the movement capabilities allow the Locus to move with the user as they perform tasks. The Locus seat provides an all-day seating solution which meets the demands of even the most intensive worker while still supporting the body in a relaxed, upright posture. The unique design offers both height adjustment of the seat and depth adjustment of the footrest in relation to the seat base. This adjustment enables the Locus Seat to accommodate people from 4'11" to 6'8", making it perfect for anyone to use with a worksurface positioned at their appropriate height. The Locus is ideal for anyone creating a workstation which includes sitting or standing, by providing an 'in-between' seating option that makes the transition to standing for the user almost effortless. The Locus offers enough support to keep fatigue at bay, while still allowing the seat to move with the user. The seat can flex forward from 5º to 20º off the vertical, and pivot laterally up to 12º. While improving comfort and offering many ergonomic benefits, this uniquely styled seat also makes a stylish and innovative addition to the work environment.
The Locus Seat is available in Matte Black or Glacier White Laminate finish on the foot platform, with standard seat options of Black, Chili Pepper Red, and Citrus Orange. The seat is also available in Black Synthetic Nubuck for a more classic look.
A removable fitted black anti-fatigue mat (FAF-1000) is included with each Locus Seat.
Promotes Correct Posture
- The Locus Seat provides a 'forward tilt' on the pelvis which naturally encourages the 'S-curve' necessary for proper spinal alignment (see image in gallery. This positions the head over the spine, ensuring that the back can properly provide the necessary support without fatigue. This also encourages a noticeably more upright stance, with a reduction of the forward bend of the neck. By combining the Locus Seat with a correctly positioned monitor the head can be properly supported over the spine. Not only is this a relaxed position, it is also healthier and places less strain on the muscles in the neck and upper back.
Reduces Weight Load on Legs and Feet
- The Locus Seat bears 60% or more of the weight of the user, reducing the pressure on joints of the lower limbs. This translates into reduced risk of damage to the knee and hip joints which can occur when these joints remain under continuous strain from standing on hard surfaces. Using the optional Anti-Fatigue Mat Accessory can further reduce this by providing cushioning for the feet.
'Active Working' Dynamic
- The unique pivoting feature on the Locus facilitates and encourages users to actively move their body throughout the day. This movement can benefit the entire body as it will exercise core muscles in addition to the muscles of the legs. Flexing of the muscles of the leg is difficult when in a traditional standing position and can lead to swelling of the lower legs (edema) as blood and fluid collects in them. The Locus Seat encourages the relaxed activation of those muscles as the user shifts position and uses them to provide balance throughout the day. Although minimal, this minor flexing aids in moving these fluids back into the circulatory system.
Promotes Health of Spinal Discs
- The 'Active Working' referred to earlier also has a positive impact on the spine. The continuous movement which is happening creates a 'pumping' action within the spinal discs. This action aids in drawing nutrients into the discs and expelling waste, resulting in healthier discs.
Improves Internal Organ Activity
- The 135º Open Core Stance reduces pressure on the internal organs. This means easier and deeper breathing as the lungs are no longer compressed and the diaphragm is not restricted. In addition, this stance and the resulting increase in movement also encourage a more active digestive tract and improved overall circulation.
Increases Mental Alertness
- The upright posture, deeper breathing, improved circulation, and increased ability to move all contribute to a greater degree of mental alertness as cardiovascular activity is significantly increased over a traditional static seated position.
Reduces Risk of Lower Back Pain
- For many people, standing in a static position (such as at a standing desk) for extended periods with the feet flat, can lead to lower back pain. The muscles of the lower back are able to relax when users lean on, or 'into', the Locus Seat.
- Many people who have adopted the concept of Standing to Work have discovered that standing all day is actually tiring, especially on the feet and legs. For those who are pursuing a more healthy and active lifestyle standing while working can actually reduce their ability to achieve this goal. The reason is that by the end of the day some may find that their legs and feet are already exhausted and desire a rest. As a result, rather than having energy to pursue their recreational activities at the end of the day, they find themselves seeking respite from activity. By 'leaning' on the Locus Seat throughout the day and allowing the seat to bear their weight users can significantly reduce this fatigue, leaving them with the energy to actively enjoy their recreational choices. Using the optional Anti-Fatigue Mat Accessory will provide additional cushioning which will further aid in relaxing the feet.
Expands Comfort Zone
- The upright stance provided by the Locus Seat, combined with the pivoting movement of the seat pan, offers users an extended reach which cannot be achieved with fixed leaning seats. This expands their comfort zone, providing access to a larger area of the worksurface while at the same time reducing the risk of overextension.
Encourages Neutral Ankle Alignment
- Many common types of leaning stools or seats put the ankle into a position of plantarflexion. While the ankle is fully capable of handling an average degree of plantarflexion this should occur in combination with an equal amount of dorsiflexion - this is what occurs in the daily walking or running action. However, when one leans against a seat or stool with the feet planted flat on the floor the ankle is put into a position of sustained plantarflexion. Extended time spent in this position can increase the risk of shortening the Achilles tendon or developing plantar fasciitis. This can be further exacerbated by the presence of heels on footwear. The unique design of the base of the Locus Seat angles the foot upward, significantly reducing or totally eliminating the risk of sustained plantarflexion. The result is that the leg/ankle angle is generally within a few degrees of the neutral 90º, yielding a much safer position than other similar seating options.
- Unique Pivoting Base: The seat on the Locus is mounted to a pivot base which enables the seat to freely follow the movements of the body as users shift their position throughout the day. This ability to pivot encourages continual movement which triggers repetitive core muscle activation as balance is maintained.
- Adjusts to Fit the User: The Locus seat offers two adjustments which enable it to accommodate an exceptionally broad range of users. By offering a combination of Seat Height and Base Depth adjustments the Locus meets the requirements of users from 4'11" to 6'8".
- Tilt Adjustable Seat: Users can adjust the tilt of the naturally contoured seat to ensure that their pelvis is rotated forward, regardless of their height. This open-hip stance positions the spine in the optimum curve and reduces tension in the soft tissues of the back and spine.
- Comfortable: The seat pan is naturally contoured, providing secure and comfortable positioning for all users. The seat cushion offers just the right amount of padding and is easily removed for cleaning should the need arise.
- Universal: The Locus Seat works with any Standing Desk or Height Adjustable Worksurface.
- Moveable: The front of the Locus Seat base is equipped with inline skate wheels which enable it to easily be moved when desired.
- Storable: The Locus Seat can easily be stored by simply folding the seat down flat against the base. It is easily stored beneath a desk, against a wall or in a closet when not in use.
- Safe: The Footplate of the Locus Seat is covered with a 3M grip surface which ensures a secure footing. Using the optional Anti-Fatigue Mat Accessory increases the grip even further in addition to offering superb cushioning for the feet.
- Heavy Duty Construction: The base of the Locus Seat is constructed of heavy 13-ply hardwood plywood covered by a durable laminate finish. The result is an exceptionally sturdy base which will offer users many years of service.
|Images (Click on any thumbnail to view larger image)|
Locus Seat at Locus Workstation
Locus Seat is Ideal for Sit-Stand Workstations
Locus Seat Reduces Weight Load on Legs
High Quality Laminate Over Plywood Base
Optional Anti-Fatigue Mat
Adjustable Base Accommodates a Wide Range of Heights
Locus Seat Offers Optimal Spinal Alignment
Locus Seat Offers Offers a Wide Range of Adjustment & Movement
Locus Seat Encourages Movement
Locus Seat Colour Options
- Locus Seat Specifications: PDF
- Seat Height Adjustment: 31 - 41" (78.75 - 104 cm)
- Seat Pan Tilt Range: 15º
- Seat Pivot Range: Flex forward from 5º to 20º, and pivot laterally up to 12º
- Seat Pan Dimensions: 10.5 x 16" (26.7 x 40.6 cm)
- Weight Rating: 300 lbs (136 kg)
- Weight: 32 lbs (14.5 kg)
- Component Material Details:
- Contoured Seat Pan: Fiberglass-reinforced nylon
- Contoured Seat Cushion: EVA Foam 0.75” –1.25” thick
- Pivoting Seat Leg: Powder-coated, anodized extruded aluminum
- Gas Piston Cylinder: Steel Rated up to 300 pounds
- Leg Bushings: Delrin™ with limiter
- Leg Base Shroud: Nylon
- Leg Base: Powder-coated steel with rubber gasket
- Leg Pivot Joint Brass and high-carbon steel Range of motion is 15º laterally and from
- 5º forward of vertical to 90º forward for storage
- Base Platform 13-Layer, 0.75” Hardwood plywood Choice of laminate in Matte Black or Glacier White (NAUF plywood available); Steel adjustment T-nut, Black 3M anti-skid surface
- Wheel Bracket: Powder-coated steel
- Wheels: High density polyurethane For easy portability
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime (full details)
- 5 years: Seating – Foam and seating textiles, mechanisms, pneumatic cylinders, wheels and height adjustable mechanisms
- 10 years: Laminate and wood veneers
|For pricing, availability or to order this product, visit our online store.|
|FLT-1000-BK-BK|| Locus Seat, Black Platform, Black Seat|
|FLT-1000-BK-CT|| Locus Seat, Black Platform, Citrus Orange Seat|
|FLT-1000-BK-RD|| Locus Seat, Black Platform, Chili Pepper Red Seat|
|FLT-1000-WH-BK|| Locus Seat, White Platform, Black Seat, SPECIAL ORDER ONLY|
|FLT-1000-WH-CT|| Locus Seat, White Platform, Orange Seat, SPECIAL ORDER ONLY|
|FLT-1000-WH-RD|| Locus Seat, White Platform, Red Seat, SPECIAL ORDER ONLY|
|FLT-1000-BK-NB|| Locus Seat, Black Platform, Black Synthetic Nubuck Seat|
|FLT-1000-WH-NB|| Locus Seat, White Platform, Black Synthetic Nubuck Seat, , SPECIAL ORDER ONLY|
|FAF-1000|| Anti-Fatigue Mat|